Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2009, 21:20   #106

Boat: FP Lucia 40, Hull #22
Scott

I don't have any pictures of the reefing handy (other than those posted previously) so I will attempt to describe.

1: Clew - The clew setup is exactly the same as the standard except that when the line exits the boom at the mast end it is lead to a block on the collar on the mast and back to the clutches/winches (note - 4 additional clutches reqd).

2: Tack - Standard set up : There are 2 s/s lugs on the mast on each side. These are used to attach the standard reefing pennant (webbing strap). Looped through the port side and on the starboard there it a snap shackel attached to the lug to connect the loose end of the pennant.

So - Remove the snap shackels from the stbd side of the mast but leave the shackle on the lug. Fasten the end of the new reefing line to the port side lug on the mast. Feed the line through the reefing eye in the luff of the sail (similarly to the way the clew line is fed.) Then feed the line through the shackle attached to the stbd lug, down to a new block attached to the mast collar and back to the clutch bank. The shackle is just bringing the line back to the same angle (of pull) as the port side and does not have much load on it.

Obviously the respective top/bottom pairs of lugs are used for 2nd/first reefs.

You could have a sailmaker fit a block to the sail at the reefing point (as recommended by some people) and at the lug on the mast to reduce friction but It works fine as is and is the lowest cost/impact solution.

Note that you can still use the old webbing reefing straps and boom end jammers in a emergency, especially if you leave the snapshackles rigged (I have not).

I have used a double block at the mast for each set of tack lines and clew lines as there are limited holes in the mast collar. You only ever have tension in one at a time.

The pictures I posted previously show the mast and clutch arrangement but don't go up as far as the eye in the sail but that is very straightforward.

I hope that helps.

Cheers
Martin
MKB53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2009, 21:35   #107

Hi Jef
Re: "I don't have a good solution yet to prevent the jib sheet to get stuck behind the mast winch, except for laying the sheet on the winch before tacking."

I took a picture of my solution but I have a small technical problem and can't upload it at the moment. I will do so when I have resolved the problem.

In summary I made up a strong shock cord (10mm) with a plastic hook on each end and a "plug" in the middle (sliding, not fixed.) The hooks are attached to 1: one of the cutouts in the mast base plate and 2: in the track at the back of the mast about the level of the winch. When sailing the plug is inserted in the hole in the top of the winch for the winch handle. This means there is an angled cord at the rear and under the winch and sheds the sheet pretty reliably. The plug is just pulled from the hole when you want to use the winch and teh stretchy lies against the mast.

I used a T junction for black pvc water hose for the Plug (19mm I think). I cut off the T arms and trimmed the stem and "hey presto", it fitted. I am sure you could find alternatives but this is all I could find in my garage that fitted the winch handle hole.

Hope that helps, I will post the picture when I can

Cheers
Martin
Old 12-08-2009, 19:14   #108

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Gib lazy sheet cam cleats

Mahe's,

Added two 1/2 “ cam cleats to take care of the lazy port & Stb. Gib sheets when not in use

Now we just slide the un-used Gib sheet in a cleat instead of it just bouncing around the cabin top.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P7120305.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	442.0 KB
ID:	9324   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7120313.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	448.0 KB
ID:	9325  

Name:	P7120302.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	400.9 KB
ID:	9326  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2009, 17:43   #109

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Reefing Chart

Mahe's,

Here is a handy Reefing Chart you can laminate and keep someplace handy.
Have attached a copy for your use.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P8150051.jpg
Views:	597
Size:	326.2 KB
ID:	10052  
Attached Files
File Type: doc Reefing_Chart_Mahe_36_.doc (90.0 KB, 453 views)
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2009, 23:48   #110
DtM

John,

I notice from your photos that you bought a gennaker/screecher. Who did you end up buying it from?

daniel
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 05:55   #111

Boat: Switch 51 #10
Square top sail - I would like information

Hi all,
Could anyone of you inform me on the merits of the Square Top mainsail? It looks as if this is now supplied on the Mahe as standard.
What are the advantages and disadvantages? Do you get more flaping of the top of the sail when you are in weak-wind conditions with waves, causing the top of the mast to swing considerably? Should you expect more wear? Did anybody have problems with it?
I would really appreciate all information!
Thanks,
Jef
Jef & Marin, Netherlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 20:56   #112

Boat: Mahe 36 Wayward Wind
Daniel

I bought the screecher through our agents in Mooloolabah.

Cheers!

JohnC
Wayward Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 23:04   #113

Boat: Mahe 36
Square Top

Hi Jef,
my Mahe has the square top since delivery ( I had to pay extra) and I have sailed about 5000 nm so far. First of all - it is considerably faster than the standard sail, especially in light conditions. But there is no flapping, not even in heavy conditions (35-40 kts so far). In light conditions I can sail with Bahias and Belizes. My boat seems to point to windward higher, than others of this type.
The down sides are: You have to hoist the sail-head to the mast, which is not a job for small or weak person - but you could help yourself with an extra line through the batten car. The pressure momentum in the mainsail comes higher, so you should reef a little earlier, but in reality, you mostly will not need to, because the profile of the sail can be adjusted pretty good, so that you just sail a flatter profile.
regards,
Jan
jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 20:18   #114
DtM

John,

Was the screecher made by Quantum?

d
Old 13-10-2009, 17:59   #115
DtM

Size of Standing rigging

Hi All,

If anyone is online and on/near their boat can you tell me the size of the wire for the shrouds.

I would be very grateful.

daniel
Old 14-10-2009, 00:51   #116

Daniel

Looks like 10mm but I don't have calipers, only a rule and eyesight so it could be marginally different.

Cheers
Martin
Old 02-11-2009, 05:11   #117

Boat: Alura 30
After having sailed this week end mostly downwind,I realize that it would be really fun to have a light air headsail on our Mahe. Without spending a fortune I would like to pick your brains and get some ideas from all of you.Some thing easy to set up that would really make a difference down wind.
Thanks to everyone for the very usefull informations on the last posts.
JC.
jean1146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:12   #118

The cheapest and easiest would be a assymetric chute in sock using a bridal for the tack point. I use this setup on a 44 foot cat and it works great. Used chutes can be found on Ebay or from several used sailmakers for very low cost. You can fix up a bridal on the bow quite cheaply. Then you only need a snatch block for the sheet. You can even use only one sheet and simply jibe the chute by snuffing it and move the snatch block and sheet around to the other side.

George
sailvi767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:18   #119

Boat: Alura 30
George I like this concept because it looks simple and cheap! is there anyway you could post a picture or two of your setting?
Thanks.
JC.
jean1146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:14   #120

Tried to post a pic but it has to be hosted at a URL or I am doing something wrong. If you email me at sailvi767 at aol dot com I will be glad to send you pics of my setup.
sailvi767 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mahe 36, paracelle