Our orginal from factory trampoline did not last here in the tropics, failed at 14 months. UV is very high in Australia
and significantly so in the tropical North.
I was quoted 1600 for a replacement tranpoline that was made from the same material. So rather than throw my money
away. I bought the netting that has been specifically treated for UV from Haverford netting for $200 and made up a trampoline myself.
In hindsight it was far harder than I expected it to be, but with that said, Im a complete novice
and have soft hands so it will be easier for many Im sure.
Here are the steps I took and photo
of finished product.
Now on to the next project
1. lay the new netting out over the old tramp.
2. stretch it and secure the netting using the existing metal fasterners. (pull the netting and secure it right behind the old lacing, there is room)
3. Cut the shape out using a welding knife or something to sear the edges of the netting.
4. take the netting off and weave a 8 mm line around edge
5 whip that 8 mm line (I stretched each edge out as I worked)
6. run another 8 mm line inside without whipping it, and don't secure the ends. On the orginal this line is spliced end to end. I just secured.
7. stretch the tramp out and tension corners.
8. Starting with front, lace it into sliding eyes in crossbeams, right over existing lacing.
9. lace each of the other three sides.
!! Use a separate piece of line for each side. That way should anything happen to one side, the other three are still secure.
10. Once all sides are secure, start by removing port, starboard, and aft OLD lacing. Remove the front last, and leave line attached, pull out and to the side of the boat (onto the dock).
LASTLY... I watered the trampoline well, and walked on it to stretch it out, then cinched it up very tight. I think wetting it then tightening it is essential.
It is very hard to get all the spaces around the edge even. I think I can continue to work this when I want (or maybe never) .
So I have a new trampoline that is UV resistant. I spent 200 on the netting, and an extra 60 or 70 on line, put in about 12 hours of work, to save 1330. Im happy with that. The netting is thicker than the orginal, and diamonds rather than squares.