Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 03:24   #16
DtM

Re: Helm Station

Hi Gordon,

How is your trip going?

Do you have a blog? Where are you? What have you done and what is next?

daniel
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 00:40   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot, He'lia 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon

Hi Daniel,
We have just returned home after traveling just over 4000nm, and have left the boat in Marmaris Turkey at the Albatross Marina. You can see Lou's blogs on MHS Catamarans | Yachts | Multihulls Blog - Multihull Solutions | Multihull Solutions. This is a snapshot of our adventure, Lou has quite a following on her Facebook page, suggest you do a friend request and keep up with the latest. We plan to return May next year to continue our journey back out of the Med to eventually cross the Atlantic end of the year so next year is a biggie!
The He'lia 44 is an amazing boat, a huge step up from the Orana, we are very happy and at the end of the first seven months of full live aboard only minor warranty issues, a big improvement on build quality and finish. The boat performs as well or better as the Orana and for live aboard very comfortable.
Cheers Gordon.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 18:00   #18

Boat: 2012 Lagoon 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
I would move the three Garmin instruments from the Instrument control panel to the winch bulkhead,
because you can only see them when sitting.

1) Better visibility for Captain when standing
2) Winch person can see instruments also
3) Will be able to see instruments from cockpit and lower table
I had my Garmins shimmed up so they're at a nice angle. I wouldn't want them at the winch bulkhead as I change the settings now and then and one of them helps with self-tacking. I really like where they are with the shims.
SailMonAmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 10:18   #19

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Helia 44 Helm Station

Here are a few pictures of the Helia 44 Helm gages shimmed up on an angle using white starboard.

It’s a nice solution to the flat mounted hard to view gages.

You may want to do the same with the Engine gages on the left side of the wheel.

You can see how hard it is to view the factory gages mounting in last picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Helia 44 Angled gages 1.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	88678   Click image for larger version

Name:	Helia 44 Angled gages 2.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	88679  

Name:	Helia 44 factory flat gages 3.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	396.4 KB
ID:	88680  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 17:16   #20

Boat: Garcia 45 - being built for April 2019

I very much agree with the need or a hard top - more than a canvas bimini - but even further I plan to build a hard dodger. With Sides fabricated out of FGlass. And Windows on top, sides, routed power, wipers, lights, PV, etc,. ie. more protection from driving spray and winds in a heavy sea. You're reasons for protection are all very solid. I would say a Must for anyone on an Ocean Passage. (Not necessary for looping around the BVI's though...)
So.. question: anyone know a good FG fabricator for hard dodgers in the general Caribbean area?
cheers!
P
peteh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 05:39   #21

Community Sponsor

Helm Station Gauge Base

Helia 44 Owners,

If you’re tired of the duck and jibe to look at your helm gauges then maybe look at installing one of these gauge bases. It tilts the gauges out at the bottom 2” inches, so you can see them when standing at the helm.

You can make them from white Starboard or nylon or Azek. I had some 1/2" white Azek, so I cut this gauge base out with a jig saw and a 3.5” inch diameter hole saw.

It took me 2 hours to make it and another 3 hours to install it.

It works great and you can see all the gauges when you’re “STANDING” at the helm.

For those that do not have the tools to make one of these, you could have a local woodworking shop make one up for you with just a simple drawing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P6230005-A.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	406.6 KB
ID:	150712   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6240041.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	387.8 KB
ID:	150713  

Name:	P6240049.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	406.0 KB
ID:	150714   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6240054.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	406.7 KB
ID:	150715  

Name:	P6240055.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	389.5 KB
ID:	150716   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6240056.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	453.8 KB
ID:	150717  

Name:	P6240057.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	454.7 KB
ID:	150718   Click image for larger version

Name:	6-23-2017 7-58-27 AM.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	150719  

Name:	6-23-2017 8-03-19 AM.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	150720  
Old 04-07-2017, 16:46   #22

Boat: 2022 Leopard 45
Helm Ergonomics

Full disclosure: the only touch and feel time I've spent on the Helia is at this years Spring Sailboat Show in Annapolis, Maryland.

There are countless features that impressed me, but two stood out as potential problems. One was the instrument location at the helm. They are very difficult to view and operate while underway. Has anyone considered an alternate mounting location? I like the "wedge" to improve the angle, but it still appears to be a bit awkward and I have never liked having to reach inside of the wheel to operate the autopilot, etc.

The second thing is access to the primary lines and winches since there is the walkway space between them and the helm. Have Helia owners found it difficult to single-hand the boat when the lines and winches are just out of reach?

I'm considering a Helia charter to spend time with this setup to see if it is a meaningful issue or not. Other thoughts and opinions are appreciated.
SVHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 18:38   #23

Re: Helm Ergonomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yagelski View Post
Full disclosure: the only touch and feel time I've spent on the Helia is at this years Spring Sailboat Show in Annapolis, Maryland.

There are countless features that impressed me, but two stood out as potential problems. One was the instrument location at the helm. They are very difficult to view and operate while underway. Has anyone considered an alternate mounting location? I like the "wedge" to improve the angle, but it still appears to be a bit awkward and I have never liked having to reach inside of the wheel to operate the autopilot, etc.

The second thing is access to the primary lines and winches since there is the walkway space between them and the helm. Have Helia owners found it difficult to single-hand the boat when the lines and winches are just out of reach?

I'm considering a Helia charter to spend time with this setup to see if it is a meaningful issue or not. Other thoughts and opinions are appreciated.
As to the Helm Station....unless one mounts a strategically placed Go Pro, observing the port sugar scoop appears to be somewhat of an issue....esp while med mooring.

I was just on a Helia that was docked next to the Lipari I was chartering in Turkey. Aft visibility looked about the same as the Lipari...hard top obstructing one's view. On the Lipari, I reversed while on my knees if I needed to see the aft port side of the boat. I don't recall doing this on the last Leopard I sailed, but my memory may be faulty as one doesn't look aft while anchoring or picking up mooring balls as we did in the Caribbean.

BTW, I think the Helia is a GREAT boat......Currently number 2 on my short list behind the new Leopard 45.
Old 04-07-2017, 18:46   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
As to the Helm Station....unless one mounts a strategically placed Go Pro, observing the port sugar scoop appears to be somewhat of an issue....esp while med mooring.

I was just on a Helia that was docked next to the Lipari I was chartering in Turkey. Aft visibility looked about the same as the Lipari...hard top obstructing one's view. On the Lipari, I reversed while on my knees if I needed to see the aft port side of the boat. I don't recall doing this on the last Leopard I sailed, but my memory may be faulty as one doesn't look aft while anchoring or picking up mooring balls as we did in the Caribbean.

BTW, I think the Helia is a GREAT boat......Currently number 2 on my short list behind the new Leopard 45.
Interesting reply since we have also narrowed our choice to the Helia 44 and Leopard 45. I guess that's why I am asking the nit-picky questions about the Helia helm ergonomics. The Leopard 45 helm just seems to be so much more user friendly.
SVHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 19:13   #25

Quote:
Interesting reply since we have also narrowed our choice to the Helia 44 and Leopard 45. I guess that's why I am asking the nit-picky questions about the Helia helm ergonomics. The Leopard 45 helm just seems to be so much more user friendly.
Obviously a person of GREAT taste!....and EXCEPTIONAL knowledge of quality catamarans.

BTW, I also don't like reaching thru the wheel to operate the auto-pilot. Small detail, but poorly thought out IMHO.
Old 05-07-2017, 00:43   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot, He'lia 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon

Name:	image011.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	261.5 KB
ID:	151256
Multihull Solutions have been installing two of the multi's on the vertical face at eye line just immediately fwd of the helm and slightly inboard. This only possible if you do not take the factory Garmin suite option and elect to have say, Raymarine. The autopilot control remains at the helm just outboard of the control wheel. When the autopilot is engaged the wheel does not move.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 04:19   #27

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
BTW, I also don't like reaching thru the wheel to operate the auto-pilot. Small detail, but poorly thought out IMHO.
You do not reach through the wheel to use the autopilot as it's on the out side diameter of the wheel.

Easy Peasy, no issues at all using the autopilot where it is.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P6240049.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	151644  
Old 11-07-2017, 05:46   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
You do not reach through the wheel to use the autopilot as it's on the out side diameter of the wheel.

Easy Peasy, no issues at all using the autopilot where it is.
Thank you for the insight on the autopilot, Cotemar.

Would you care to offer an opinion on the ease of access to the primary lines and winches with the walkway space between them and the helm? Have you found it difficult to single-hand the boat when the lines and winches are just out of reach?
Old 11-07-2017, 08:53   #29

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Thank you for the insight on the autopilot, Cotemar.

Would you care to offer an opinion on the ease of access to the primary lines and winches with the walkway space between them and the helm? Have you found it difficult to single-hand the boat when the lines and winches are just out of reach?
You may want to get on a Helia 44 to see first hand how easy it is to single hand one.

The Helia 44 has a great setup for single handed sail handling from the helm as their is nothing in your way.

All your lines and winches are are right in-front of you and no wheels, throttles or electronics to get snagged on.

You just use the Tack / Gybe button (With your preset delay) on the autopilot before you step over to the winches.

Tags
helm