Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2017, 03:18   #31

Boat: FP Helia 44
Re: Engines

For 2018 Helia's the upgraded engine option is now the D2-50. From what we were told the 55's (I guess starting in 2018) do not meet EPA guidelines, therefore FP now offer the 50's vs. 55's. The same platform, but obviously a slight decrease in HP. Still worth the upgrade IMO vs. the stock 40hp engines.
SundownerCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 00:29   #32

Boat: NordicCruiser

Talking abount instruments, I am thinking of adding a Coolant Temp. Gauge to My D2-55C. From your experience here, can you actually se rising engine temperature before it is too late and you hear the alarm? A VP tecnician told me once that i probably would be better to install exhaust temperature where space for additional gauges is an issue as you can see the temp raising faster when there is no water throught the exhaust elbow so you have more time to react before the engine temp. rises.

Does the gauges show the real temperature or are they a bit passive, like in some cars where minor changes does not effect the needle to walk around?
NordicCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2019, 12:39   #33

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Saba 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordicCruiser View Post
Talking abount instruments, I am thinking of adding a Coolant Temp. Gauge to My D2-55C. From your experience here, can you actually se rising engine temperature before it is too late and you hear the alarm? A VP tecnician told me once that i probably would be better to install exhaust temperature where space for additional gauges is an issue as you can see the temp raising faster when there is no water throught the exhaust elbow so you have more time to react before the engine temp. rises.

Does the gauges show the real temperature or are they a bit passive, like in some cars where minor changes does not effect the needle to walk around?
I added the coolant temperature gauges to my Saba with D2-75F. I am now much more observant (and hopefully so are my charter clients) as I warm the engines up gradually instead of simply idling for 5 minutes and then off you go. Normal operating temp is 195°F for both engines. Last week the temp went to 205°F on one engine (though still below the temp alarm setpoint) but would drop back to 195°F if I eased the throttle to 1800 rpm. Sure enough the raw water impeller had started to erode. Helped me identify and replace the degraded impeller before it failed completely at an inopportune time. I've become used to glancing these gauges every 5 minutes or so was when motoring.
Cuvee is offline   Reply With Quote