Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2008, 16:16   #301

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Seadog3315,
Congradulation on getting your new ride.
Just curious as to what hull # you have.
FP was making 4 Mahe 36s per week and a 2nd shift was added in 2008 in increase that #.
Cordially,
Mark
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2008, 22:17   #302
DtM

Mark,

Seadog's is hull #92 and came out of the factory June/July08. Ours is hull#29 and it came out of the factory Feb/March 07.

That seems to be very close to the target figure we were told when we ordered (just as they were starting production) of 1 per week.

Where did you get your figures from?

daniel
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2008, 13:08   #303

Community Sponsor

Daniel
That came from an earlyer post, also I have noticed all the new boats listings show statements that over 100 Mahe 36's are currently on the water.
Sold My Catalina 380 and would like to purchase a Mahe36, but the US dollar is much lower than the Euro, so a US buyer would have to pay a pretty inflated price right now. Plan to keep my money in the bank until things stabalize a bit.
Mark
Old 14-10-2008, 16:37   #304
DtM

Hey Mark,

We ordered ours in August 2006 as they were just launching the first boats.

2 years later they have 100 which seems about right.

Getting the timing right on a purchase is always hard. Who knows when the present mess will settle down.

What about ordering in Europe and pick it up there and sail across. I will come and help you do the trip.

daniel
Old 14-10-2008, 18:19   #305

Community Sponsor

Daniel,

You make a good point their and that sounds like what I may end up doing. That woulds be a great trip wouldn't it. I will have to give you a call when when everything comes together.

Mark
Old 24-11-2008, 18:40   #306

Boat: FP Mahe 36
Hi Mark, I notice you still show your boat as a "Catalina 380"?
IrieCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 18:43   #307

Community Sponsor

Hi Lonnie,
I should change that to boat less.
Or should I say Mahe wanabe
Mark
Old 24-11-2008, 18:50   #308

Boat: FP Mahe 36
Keep working at it, we had a great sail from Stamford to Norfolk. You will love the boat. We are in Wilmington NC, getting that gelcoat work done. Hope to be back on the water soon. I agree with your toilet fix, I changed all the parts that came in that little bag of goodies, but just once. That was after 7 months, and we use ours alot!
Good Luck on your boat search!
IrieCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 15:50   #309

wow this has always been a great thread but after reading all of this there seems to be some issues with parts. alot of changes after 7mths as hot water heater explosions, toilets leaking after use hatches leaking squeeking floors replacing doors ect. i have read other threads and dont see this many isssues with them is tha becuse they just dont write about it or are the parts they are using a little cheaper to keep the price down. dont they use the same materials as there more exspencive boats.
Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 16:17   #310

Boat: Mahe 36
Just for another perspective, I havent had any of those problems. Toilet works fine and hot water is just right. A little squeaking that was easily fixed. My boat is hull #60 and has got 7000NM under her belt. Of course I have had other issues but then I haven't owned a boat that didn't have some problems. Overall I would say that maintenance and repair so far is about what I would expect.
Lori
lstyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2008, 04:49   #311

Boat: Mahe, 36' "Oceanview"
I agree with Lori, I may have had some issues, but over all I'm pleased with the boat. I have never owned a boat that I did not have to do repairs/fix things. The only thing I'm really upset with are the Furuno Electronics, which they are in the process of replacing.
Everything had been covered under warranty except the toilets, and I'll try Mark's suggestion of always replacing the bottom gasket with the Joker Valve and see what happens.
I also would point out that this forum is helpful because we as owners have the ability to share our issues and Ideas.
Randall, if you read thru this thread you will see a lot of positive comments from the owners (please discard all comments from those that have no experience with this boat and there are a few). I'll still state that the boat is one of the best values in a Multihull and I have owned "Oceanview" for almost 2 years and 3500 NM's. That says something.

Scott
Scott730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2008, 09:21   #312

ok good to know I really like the boat at the miami boat show aslo. i think all the info here is great esp since it is owners. good to see how many miles are being put on them. this boat is still at the top of my list for price. they di seem to take care of the issues.
Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2008, 16:11   #313
DtM

For an entry level boat it is very good value and is well fitted out.
Are there little issues, yes.
Some of the issues seem to be systemic, eg hotwater systems.
I am having a Furuno problem. Others have had Furuno problems.
Squeaking comes and goes but is not an huge issue.

BUT overall this is a great little boat and it has enabled me to introduce my wife to regular sailing in a comfortable, safe, fun environment. We have roast dinners sitting at anchor with beautiful wine and peace. My only wish is to increase our days on board from most weekends to weeks at a time.

Sail handling is easy (I have made a few modifications). Our bimini is great (a raised and expanded version of the factory bimini).

No boat is perfect. There are waranty issues but hopefully the local dealer will help you out. that is part of what you have to assess when you make the decision to purchase. Make some enquiries so you know what you are gettign yourself in for.
If you can, buy one and get out and enjoy.

Good sailing.

daniel
Old 30-11-2008, 17:42   #314

Boat: 2007 FP Mahe 36'
Hi All,

Just got back from USVI. Great weather, but light wind...

I was on my 2007 Mahe Hull #47 (Mistina). First off, I love the boat. I have had my fair share of problems, most have been mentioned here in detail (electronics, squeaking, etc). She was a trio that I converted to a duo.

I was very impressed with the upwind speed, even in low winds. We were easily cruising between 7-9 knts in wind that did not exceed 12 knts. Fuel usage was fantastic. We did hours of motoring, charging the batteries, etc for a week and only used 10 gallons.

I am having a problem with the davits. The mounting angle is very high, and the extreme angle is cutting the line, causing the dingy to drop. Is my situation isolated?

The factory bimini is a bit of a problem as well. when the traveler is hard to port, it rubs the corner.

Any one have good ideas on helm shading? I saw one example a few posts ago, but am looking to see what else has been invented.

Having a couple of cam cleats installed for the jib sheet. This should take the pressure off the winches.

Also upgraded the battery banks and tied the alternators together. Those car batteries were no where close to what is needed.

Can't wait to return. If anyone is planning some sailing in the area, let me know. I would love to spend some time with another owner over some drinks at Willie T's !!!

Thanks,

Scott
Mahe-Mahe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 14:22   #315

Boat: Switch 51 #10
Pay for first service

Seadog, here in Europe you have to pay for first service. Must be done by Volvo authorised dealer, otherwise guarantee is lost.
Greetz,
Jef
Jef & Marin, Netherlands is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mahe 36