Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2018, 19:26   #1
BKC

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Astrea 42
Astrea 42: Owners?

New to forum here (or at least long mislaid old login details!). No prefix for the new FP Astrea 42 yet so posting under general info for now.

My wife and I are future owners of hull #11 of the FP Astrea 42 and thought I'd start an early discussion on questions, specs, etc as we eagerly await delivery of the new model. Now that hull #1 (I assume) has been launched at La Grande Motte, there must be a few other owners in the waiting room?

Happy to create a list of owners & look forward to sharing knowledge as we go including specs, pics, etc.

For our part, we have a Nov 2018 delivery slot and plan to keep her in Dream Yacht Performance Program for now, based in Abaco Bahamas Nov-May and (current plan) Annapolis/Chesapeake Jun-Oct.
Looking forward to connecting.
BKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2018, 15:09   #2

Boat: FP Astrea 42
Send a message via Skype™ to jefffay
Re: Astrea 42: Owners?

Hi, that's awesome! Congratulations! We paid our deposit to ACY in January.

How did you find out what hull number you had?

I'm very interested in participating in a knowledge sharing base, my wife and I are planning to go see the boat in Annapolis in Sept, just prior to the boat show. We'll probably keep her in USVI or maybe BVI.

We really were after a Helia. I hope that this boat is close....
jefffay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2018, 16:15   #3
BKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffay View Post
Hi, that's awesome! Congratulations! We paid our deposit to ACY in January.

How did you find out what hull number you had?

I'm very interested in participating in a knowledge sharing base, my wife and I are planning to go see the boat in Annapolis in Sept, just prior to the boat show. We'll probably keep her in USVI or maybe BVI.

We really were after a Helia. I hope that this boat is close....
Hi Jeff

Congrats to you also! That's great. You should just ask ACY to give you the hull# as you will already be in the FP production schedule so they def have it.

Are you seeing another Astrea 42 at Annapolis or your actual Boat?

We chartered a Lucia 40 for a week in Feb, then immediately did a thorough inspection of a just delivered Helia. I really believe that the Astrea gives you best of both models. There were a few features of Lucia we preferred to Helia which are now on Astrea and a couple of new ideas we liked.

We love both USVI and BVI but fell in love with Abacos. I think the USVI was under rated - hope recovery won't take too long.

Is your spec 100% set? Happy to share ours if helpful by PM.
BKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 04:01   #4

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKC View Post
Hi Jeff

Congrats to you also! That's great. You should just ask ACY to give you the hull# as you will already be in the FP production schedule so they def have it.

Are you seeing another Astrea 42 at Annapolis or your actual Boat?

We chartered a Lucia 40 for a week in Feb, then immediately did a thorough inspection of a just delivered Helia. I really believe that the Astrea gives you best of both models. There were a few features of Lucia we preferred to Helia which are now on Astrea and a couple of new ideas we liked.

We love both USVI and BVI but fell in love with Abacos. I think the USVI was under rated - hope recovery won't take too long.

Is your spec 100% set? Happy to share ours if helpful by PM.
You might consider sharing your spec sheet with all of us on the forum. Some have placed orders, are about to, or are waiting for the right moment (read: funds!) to do so. It will be of interest to us all, and we can debate some choices over others.

Congrats!
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 04:05   #5

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Astréa 42.

Hi Astréa-owners,

We ordered one some time ago, production slot for September 2019. FP will give our hull number in January 2019. It is only then that it will be taken in their production scheme, and all options have to be final.
A friend ordered also one just recently (slot for April 2020). He visited La Grande Motte multihull show, and we agreed that FP did a nice job with this Astréa. She has definitely a more modern concept than the Helia, and offers almost as much space. We are happy that we switched from the Helia to the Astréa. Waiting now for the real sailing tests. But Lucia, Saona, Helia were all good sailing cats. So I am confident.
It is good to know that your Astréa will be for charter in the Bahamas. We are planning to charter one next season, to better determine what we want to modify before leaving La Rochelle with ours. Because we will sail her to the Canaries and cross the Atlantic to Brazil shortly afterwards. If all goes like planned, we will live aboard our Astréa from 2020, sailing our blue planet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0007.jpg
Views:	1035
Size:	411.5 KB
ID:	168570   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0143.jpg
Views:	1250
Size:	419.9 KB
ID:	168571  

Luc bulterys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 05:45   #6

Does anyone have photos of Astrea 42 cabins. Not in any marketing material I have seen so far...
Bohemio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 06:53   #7

Here you have some:
Enjoy !
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0059.jpg
Views:	1375
Size:	420.4 KB
ID:	168598   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0173.jpg
Views:	1348
Size:	418.9 KB
ID:	168599  

Name:	IMG_0061.jpg
Views:	1390
Size:	408.6 KB
ID:	168600   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0078.jpg
Views:	1311
Size:	210.8 KB
ID:	168601  

Name:	IMG_0079.jpg
Views:	1400
Size:	394.0 KB
ID:	168602  
Old 23-04-2018, 07:00   #8

And these too; Hull 1 is the maestro version, as you see:
But the other cabins are quite similar.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0041.jpg
Views:	1056
Size:	364.3 KB
ID:	168603   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0085.jpg
Views:	1202
Size:	402.0 KB
ID:	168604  

Name:	IMG_0084.jpg
Views:	1111
Size:	362.6 KB
ID:	168605  
Old 23-04-2018, 07:54   #9

I’m trying to figure out why they got rid of the cabinet above the stove; now there’s apparently an open space. With storage at a premium - especially in the galleys of the Lucia and Helia (all boats, really), I’m surprised.
Old 23-04-2018, 08:42   #10

Boat: Fountaine-Pajot Astréa 42

Hi BKC,
Congrats on the acquisition and thanks for starting this thread. I'm new to the forum, also located in the Boston area, and considering putting a FP Astréa 42 in DYC's charter's fleet. I would be interested in hearing about your experience with DYC (we've only chartered with The Moorings) and the whole purchase process, via PM.
chlemaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 08:43   #11

Hi Jeff,
Congrats!
Pardon my ignorance, but what is ACY?
Old 23-04-2018, 09:05   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlemaire View Post
Hi BKC,
Congrats on the acquisition and thanks for starting this thread. I'm new to the forum, also located in the Boston area, and considering putting a FP Astréa 42 in DYC's charter's fleet. I would be interested in hearing about your experience with DYC (we've only chartered with The Moorings) and the whole purchase process, via PM.
Again, I would urge you to consider sharing your response with all of us on the forum. Some of us may be considering the very same thing, and the purpose of the forum is that exact exchange of info. I know I'd like to hear about your experience with DYC. I've only every chartered with TMM, so I'll appreciate hearing.

Congrats!
Old 23-04-2018, 09:13   #13

LeeV,
Can't agree more
Old 23-04-2018, 12:40   #14
BKC

Hi All:

Great to see all the interest! I'll start to compile a list of owners with names and emails if people are interested? I'll try to cover the questions/suggestions raised:

LeeV:
1) I'll post our spec later today so others can have a look. You can see the headline spec if you look at DY Abaco site, search for Astrea 42 and click on 'Boat Details' tab. (Sadly, despite being obvious, I had a hard time seeing that tab when first looking a DY charter boats).

2) Your question on FP removing the cabinet above oven. I think you'll find that Hull #1 has the Elba Convection Oven/Microwave combo (which is an option) instead of the gas oven. I'm assuming it is bigger, hence losing the cabinet. So going with standard propane oven (I'm hoping!) saves the cabinet.

Luc:
Congrats on the purchase and thanks so much for the pics from La Grande Motte.

1) Delighted you'll have time to see the boat and try her out as spec'ing from a spreadsheet and digging around options online ain't fun. We've pretty much gone for most options with the exception of the bowsprit and gennaker. We reckoned handling one headsail made more sense for charterers. The bathroom configs are interesting and the central shower set up is not obvious from drawings - I'll explain when I post spec.
2) I'm hoping to sail an Astrea in late May. As you say, the siblings are great cats (surprisingly close to wind!) so have high hopes. I'll report back.
3) QUESTION: Did your buddy at LGM show notice location of main breaker panel (220v)? In our chartered Lucia (2017 model) it appears to have had it fitted after market in forward cabin on port side - a royal nuisance for turning off a/c before sleep waking a teenager in the process! Hoping this is not standard.

Chlemaire:

Thank you and happy to share, particularly with a fellow Beantown winter escapee! Here's a few points on your questions:

1) Being US based, your broker for purchase, if you went with Dream Yacht, will be Stephen Cockcroft (Catamaran Guru). I can't say enough positive things about my experience with Stephen since I started chatting to him last August - tell him I sent you!). I also met the UK broker at the London Boat Show this Jan - also nice guy. Being an early purchaser in the US via DY, the details took a LOT of digging (being a new boat, this is understandable). Assuming it will be easier to sort details for future purchasers although we still have a few smaller details on the list.

2) We have also never chartered from Dream Yacht either! Gulp.Therefore it is a leap of faith, but given their size, broker network and, now large shareholding by Fountaine Pajot, we're being hopefully confident. I've also researched their actual boat booking numbers so looks reasonable. Moorings/Sunsail do a great job by the way and we still have one (last?) charter with them coming up in Greece in June. Less flexibility on spec though which may impact re-sale?

3) ACY is a reference to Atlantic Cruising Yachts who are a large broker for FP. They have a network (linked) of independent Yacht Charter management/operators with a number of bases to choose from which is a nice option too. I had some positive dealings with them early on before deciding to go with DY for what we wanted this time out.

4) Where are you thinking of for a DY base with your prospective boat?
Old 23-04-2018, 12:52   #15

Brian (BKC),

Thank you for the detailed reply to all of our questions. Much appreciated!
I will follow up via PM, unless I believe that any of my questions or comments can benefit the group.

Christophe