Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2013, 05:35   #1

Boat: Rival 41C
Send a message via Skype™ to RobbieW
OCPN 3.2.0 install on Ubuntu 12.04 - dependencies

Just tried this and, initially, it failed. The failure was shown as a missing dependency, libgl1-mesa-glx. My system is showing as having libgl1-mesa-glx-lts-quantal installed which I figured is the same function set packaged with a modified name. So edited the .deb dependencies for OCPN to reflect the installed package and the install went ok, so far the function looks good too.

The question is should that missing dependency have shown up? Is there something I could/should have done on the system first.

A bit of background, this is a newly installed system and I've added Cinnamon on top of Ubuntu as I prefer the interface. In the dim past I passed the tests as an AIX 3/4 admin but havent touched any Unix for at least 10 years.
RobbieW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 08:31   #2

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: OCPN 3.2.0 install on Ubuntu 12.04 - dependencies

Robbie...
Definitely not. It looks like your setup is a bit screwed - if it really is 12.04, there should not be any "quantal" packages on it (quantal = 12.11) Might be because of Cinnanmon, if you installed 1.6 targeting Mint's Nadia release (but there's a backport to 12.04 based Maya, which should not pull any quantal packages into the system, at least it did not for me).
Also, which DEB did you use? The one directly from opencpn.org or from the Launchpad PPA?
Anyway, this looks like a situation very specific for your machine and hardly resolvable during packaging.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 09:03   #3

Thanks Pavel,
The OCPN package I used is the one linked from the OCPN Downloads page for Ubuntu 12.04. I just checked the Ubuntu install image used which says its 12.04, the Cinnamon install came from here ... Cinnamon 1.6.7 has been Released for Ubuntu 12.10/12.04/13.04/Linux Mint 14/13 ~ Noobs on Ubuntu and Windows, HD Wallpapers, Tutorials

I think I tried installing OCPN before putting Cinnamon on and got the dependency failure but I didnt check what libraries were installed at that point. The Ubuntu install was done with the install updates during installation box checked, the system then found another 75 odd updates to do, so the first OCPN try would have been at that point. What I think I'll do is re-install the Ubuntu image and see what gets pulled in at various points along the way.
Old 16-03-2013, 09:23   #4

Boat: Phantom 19

Robbie...
My base system is a bit different - based on Mint 13, so my Cinnamon 1.6.7 comes from Repository - Linux Mint
Anyway using
Code:
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-stable/ubuntu precise main
should IMHO not pull any quantal packages into the system

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 05:05   #5

Pavel,
Just had a look at the version of libgl1 on the install image by booting it from the stick. This is ubuntu-12.04.2-desktop-i386.iso downloaded straight from the Ubuntu site. Thats showing the libgl1-mesa-glx-lts-quantal as installed when doing get-selections and grepping for libgl1.

Cheers ... Robbie
Old 17-03-2013, 05:24   #6

Boat: Dufour 35

The "libgl1-mesa-glx-lts-quantal" is listed in "precise update" but not in "precise". This is unusual, it looks more like a "backport" than an "update". The first thing I would try, is to create a link "libgl1-mesa-glx" pointing to "libgl1-mesa-glx-lts-quantal".

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 06:43   #7

Hi Thomas,
So far I've found I dont need a pseudonym for the libgl1 libraries, OCPN seems to run fine without. Changing the install dependency to reflect the libraries actually found allowed the installation to complete.

For anyone else tripping over this, I found Linux Mint Forums • View topic - How To: Change .deb Package Dependencies a useful guide to editing the dependencies for a package.

Robbie