Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2015, 20:58   #1
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 40ft Alloy Centre Board
Send a message via Skype™ to nixontankgirl
Linux Deploy Issue on Android Tablet.

I have a brand new Samsung Tab 4 specifically to run OpenCPN. I have root access and have followed this excellent guide Building on Motorola Xoom | Official OpenCPN Homepage to install and run OpenCPN.

I have followed (I think) the instructions exactly. However when I follow step 3 all goes well until I run the Linux Deploy and I get a failed attempt, screen shot attached, I would love to know what I am doing wrong, any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-03-20-16-36-42.png
Views:	625
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	99094  
Old 20-03-2015, 06:29   #2

Re: Linux Deploy Issue on Android Tablet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixontankgirl View Post
I have a brand new Samsung Tab 4 specifically to run OpenCPN. I have root access and have followed this excellent guide Building on Motorola Xoom | Official OpenCPN Homepage to install and run OpenCPN.

I have followed (I think) the instructions exactly. However when I follow step 3 all goes well until I run the Linux Deploy and I get a failed attempt, screen shot attached, I would love to know what I am doing wrong, any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.
See the line "dns fail"?

Are you connected to the internet?
If so, how? Wireless or network?
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2015, 12:18   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
See the line "dns fail"?

Are you connected to the internet?
If so, how? Wireless or network?
I just looked at your image again. Are you at the point where you are installing Linux? Or, has linux already been installed and you're trying to mount (start) the linux system?

Because Linux Deploy is "skipping" mounting the partitions, it suggests to me they are already mounted. How? The command issued in the android terminal '/data/local/linux/bin/linuxdeploy shell' mounts them. So, I think you've already successfully installed Linux and created a root password. Right?

Is it possible you disconnected from the internet after installing Linux but more files need to be downloaded and installed per "starting reconfiguration". Remain connected to the very end...

Also. What android version is installed on your Samsung Tab?

Did SuperSu pop up at any point asking for permission to allow Linux Deploy access to the system?

If not, please read the comments about SuperSu and the Privacy Guard again.

If you're sure everything is as it should be, close Linux Deploy and reboot your Tab. This should resolve any temporary issue related to file permissions.

Restart Linux Deploy and try whatever it is you were doing before.

Thanks.
Old 20-03-2015, 13:18   #4

I meant "Updating Configuration" in my last post, not "Starting Reconfiguration.
Old 21-03-2015, 06:11   #5

Well?

Got it figgered out?

Inquiring minds would like to know and your experience can be helpful to others.
Old 21-03-2015, 06:17   #6

A hint: The font size can be adjusted in the android terminal. Tap on the three vertical dots at upper right corner of terminal to access the settings. Much easier on the eyes, and copying text output for pasting elsewhere is simpler.
Old 23-03-2015, 14:33   #7

Quote:
Well?

Got it figgered out?

Inquiring minds would like to know and your experience can be helpful to others.
After two days of no further comment from nixontankgirl, we'll assume they were not connected to the internet and problem is resolved.
Old 24-03-2015, 11:49   #8
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Argh! It's far from solved..... Lack of a response was more due to poor Internet and I also thought that there wouldn't be much interest.
So after a while I got as far with my Linux installation to recieve a message "chroot denied" I was on line with WiFi. I had a partitioned SD card. After several attempts I did have the Linux installer seeming
to install everything except the "chroot". It ran for around 20mins.
I also had next to no success with the android terminal...... And then gave up. I looked at other apps to use as a chart plotter, and haven't made any further progress.....
Old 24-03-2015, 11:58   #9
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I just looked at your image again. Are you at the point where you are installing Linux? Or, has linux already been installed and you're trying to mount (start) the linux system?

Because Linux Deploy is "skipping" mounting the partitions, it suggests to me they are already mounted. How? The command issued in the android terminal '/data/local/linux/bin/linuxdeploy shell' mounts them. So, I think you've already successfully installed Linux and created a root password. Right?

Is it possible you disconnected from the internet after installing Linux but more files need to be downloaded and installed per "starting reconfiguration". Remain connected to the very end...

Also. What android version is installed on your Samsung Tab?

Did SuperSu pop up at any point asking for permission to allow Linux Deploy access to the system?

If not, please read the comments about SuperSu and the Privacy Guard again.

If you're sure everything is as it should be, close Linux Deploy and reboot your Tab. This should resolve any temporary issue related to file permissions.

Restart Linux Deploy and try whatever it is you were doing before.

Thanks.
In reply; I was trying to install Linux.

I don't think anything was already installed, I had only just started.

I didn't get as far as the root password.

I have android 4.4.2.

SU did ask for permission.

I tried rebooting and still arrived at chroot denied.

I will try not to leave my replies so long next time... Thanks for your input.
Old 24-03-2015, 12:29   #10
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I will do as you say..... Though I must admit that in a fit of despair I gave up and uninstalled Linux deploy. I will try again later and get back to you.....
Old 24-03-2015, 13:20   #11

Quote:
I will do as you say..... Though I must admit that in a fit of despair I gave up and uninstalled Linux deploy. I will try again later and get back to you.....
*Open the SuperSu application by tapping on its icon.

*Make sure you have enabled 'SuperSu Pro' as per my instructions.
*If there is this option, 'Multi-User Policy' tick 'All users can request Super User

You are installing to an external partitioned sdcard? If so, is your first a MS FAT partition? Second partition linux ext2, 3 or 4 format?
Size of each?

***It may be best if you install linux to your primary storage 'sdcard' before trying an external sdcard. At least if installing to the sdcard works, then any problems you have installing to an external sdcard indicates something isn't right with the card...***

Can you copy to, edit and delete files on the first partition of the external sdcard?

If everything is right with the external sdcard there's a script below to mount both partitions at boot time:

Note that in the script your device external sdcard may be different than mount "/dev/block/mmcblk0p2". You can check by executing this command in an android terminal after typing "su" <enter> .

'cat /proc/partitions'
<enter>

root@localhost:/# cat /proc/partitions
major minor #blocks name

253 0 98304 zram0
253 1 98304 zram1
179 0 15558144 mmcblk0
179 1 1048576 mmcblk0p1
179 2 14508032 mmcblk0p2 My external sdcard, "sdcard1_real"
179 8 31260672 mmcblk1
179 9 3072 mmcblk1p1
179 10 2048 mmcblk1p2
179 11 2048 mmcblk1p3
179 12 4096 mmcblk1p4
179 13 2048 mmcblk1p5
179 14 12288 mmcblk1p6
179 15 8192 mmcblk1p7
259 0 1048576 mmcblk1p8
259 1 524288 mmcblk1p9
259 2 29623808 mmcblk1p10

Here's the file content for the script. Using an android file manager create an empty file.

Copy/paste the text starting with "#!" and save the file as "userinit.sh" Copy the file to /data/local .

#!/system/bin/sh
REALMNT=/mnt/fuse/sdcard1_real
if ! [ -d "$REALMNT" ]; then
mkdir "$REALMNT" || exit 1
fi
mount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 "$REALMNT"
sdcard "$REALMNT" /storage/sdcard1 1023 1023 &

Let me know the results...
Old 24-03-2015, 13:58   #12

Quote:
I cannot over state my request to anyone having problems. Please stop what you are doing and ask for assistance immediately.

Otherwise you will possibly become unneccessarily frustrated and give up.

Usually, problems occur because someone diverges from my instructions. If I ask users to accept default settings in Linux Deploy it is for a good reason.

The default setting in Linux Deploy for the install destination is internal storage, the sdcard.

Installing to an external sdcard requires more steps, not discussed in my instructions. Just take a look at my last post to see what's involved. If the partitions on an external card are not created properly using an appropriate application then your wasting your time.
Old 25-03-2015, 09:17   #13

Note:

If an external sdcard is properly formatted and the file userinit.sh created to mount the two partitions on boot is copied to /data/local; the sdcard is automatically mounted upon boot and accessed at /mnt/fuse/sdcard1_real

This means you can perform file operations in both the FAT partition ('sdcard1') and Linux file system ('sdcard1_real) at any time. Linux Deploy is not required for this. However, you must use Linux Deploy to mount the Linux partitions any time you wish to use the Linux GUI interface/OpenCPN.

In Linux Deploy the target is /mnt/fuse/sdcard1_real and the type is 'partition' although 'file' may work. I recommend you set the type as 'partition'.

When Linux is installed on an external sdcard the system size is limited only by available space in the second partition. The FAT partition cannot exceed 2 Gigabytes.
Old 30-03-2015, 07:59   #14

Quote:
Note:

If an external sdcard is properly formatted and the file userinit.sh created to mount the two partitions on boot is copied to /data/local; the sdcard is automatically mounted upon boot and accessed at /mnt/fuse/sdcard1_real

This means you can perform file operations in both the FAT partition ('sdcard1') and Linux file system ('sdcard1_real) at any time. Linux Deploy is not required for this. However, you must use Linux Deploy to mount the Linux partitions any time you wish to use the Linux GUI interface/OpenCPN.

In Linux Deploy the target is /mnt/fuse/sdcard1_real and the type is 'partition' although 'file' may work. I recommend you set the type as 'partition'.

When Linux is installed on an external sdcard the system size is limited only by available space in the second partition. The FAT partition cannot exceed 2 Gigabytes.
For Linux users. QtParted and GParted are two programs that can be used to partition your external sdcard. If your desktop or laptop computer does not have a slot to accept micro SD cards, usb devices that handle multiple card formats are available and inexpensive.

For Windows users. Suggestions are welcome.
Old 26-04-2015, 14:31   #15
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The process turned out to be waaaaay to hard for me. I do however appreciate your time and hopefully other people will find the instructions helpful.
I ended up buying "marine navigator" in the play store for $10.

Tags
linux