Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2011, 13:14   #1

Help with Downloading a Basemap

Hi.
I just downloaded open CPN and now I am looking for a basemap to get started. Everyone talks about CM93, but I have not been able to find a free download. I sail on Lake Superior and any help would be greatly appreciated. Jouni
jounipohjol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 13:21   #2

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Re: Help with downloading a basemap.

RNC Downloads

there you go sir
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 15:19   #3

Thanks for the link, I downloaded the Lake superior map, but it still will not display it - screen is just black with blue ocean outlines, I have moved the pointer on top of lake superior, but it will not open? Any help would be appreciated, thanks, Jouni
Old 22-12-2011, 16:06   #4

Boat: 29'

Jouni ,
This is from the help file.(click the "?" button,choose "installing charts")

"Note that in OpenCPN you must add directories (folders) containing charts, not individual charts."
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 23:55   #5

You have to make sure you Unzip the file you just downloaded, do this into a folder that is easy to find, maybe make one called charts on your desktop.

Then go in to Open CPN and click on the wrench icon. Then click on the charts tab at the top of that window. Find the chart you want to view in the available chart directors window then click add. Click OK. when you get out of this screen you should be able to see your chart. You may need to zoom in and out on Lake Superior to get it to show up.

You can repeat as many times as you like with different charts. Don't give up, once you get the hang of it Open CPN is an absolutely fantastic program.
Old 23-12-2011, 05:26   #6

Now its working (after unzipping the file), thanks alot for all your help. Now I am going to go and play with it. Jouni
Old 02-01-2012, 12:56   #7

Boat: MacGregor 91-26S

I also need some help loading charts. On a mac I have installed OpenCPN, it opens with the black screen with blue lines. I followed the advise above and I get the window to see the files and the one below it to add new chart directory. Now, the problem. I am not able to create a new directory or drag and drop my folder with the chart files in it. I am unable to modify the directories shown etc.
Any help will be appreciated.
walt70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 17:45   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt70 View Post
I also need some help loading charts. On a mac I have installed OpenCPN, it opens with the black screen with blue lines. I followed the advise above and I get the window to see the files and the one below it to add new chart directory. Now, the problem. I am not able to create a new directory or drag and drop my folder with the chart files in it. I am unable to modify the directories shown etc.
Any help will be appreciated.
I could be wrong on this because I don't have a Mac but I think it is the same as on my PC. Follow the same directions listed above. When you get to the Chart window find the chart or chart folder you want to view in Available Chart Directories then Select the chart or chart folder you want to add and click Add. Then click OK. You will need to find the general vicinity of where your chart should be. You can do this by scrolling around the black screen with blue lines that you mentioned before. Then using the magnifying glass feature or + or - keys to zoom in and zoom out on that area and your chart should show up.

If this doesn't work go back to the beginning of these instructions and follow them to the Chart tab and click Force Full Database Rebuild. Then Click OK and repeat the above steps.

All of this will become much easier when you get the hang of it and you can open multiple charts at one time. You can go onto the NOAA chart download site and download all of the Great Lakes that way when you are looking at the black screen with blue outlines you won't be trying to find one tiny chart.
Old 02-01-2012, 17:51   #9

Boat: MacGregor 91-26S

Many thanks for the reply. I had just talked to my son(a mac person) and found i had to cntr click on the icon to open the program to see the directories. It's working now. Boy do i have a lot to learn, but looking forward to it.
walt70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 22:43   #10

Yeah just futz around with it and get comfortable. As with all things, the best way to learn is to make mistakes.