Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2015, 09:14   #1

Boat: Marine Trader DC 38
AIS on OpenCPN via Marine Traffic Internet

Altamira has a Win8.1 laptop with OpenCPN 3.2.2, NMEA2K navigation data via Maretron USB100 (works great), and wireless Internet access.

NO AIS receiver or transceiver.

Altamira has a Verizon JetPack that provides bullet-proof internet access in 100% of the areas we cruise in.

In the Chrome browser, I can see all the AIS traffic on the Marine Traffic site (google plug-in, I believe). Is there an OpenCPN plug-in to integrate the two on the laptop? Marine Traffic says they have an API, and they offer many data services at no/low cost.

I know that there are limitations to this approach, but this is the hardware we have at this time. This would mean that I could stop switching back and forth between OpenCPN and Chrome.

Thanks and boat on.
v10builder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 09:35   #2

Boat: crowther trimaran 33
Re: AIS on OpenCPN via Marine Traffic Internet

This site charges money for an API key required to request ais data.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 09:56   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by v10builder1 View Post
I know that there are limitations to this approach, but this is the hardware we have at this time.
I don't know what "limitations" to using the Marine Traffic site you refer to, but it is not an "approach" to navigation.

Using the the Marine Traffic site when you're on your boat will be at best unreliable and at worst misleading.

Using the the Marine Traffic site on your boat is dangerous, and that's totally irrespective of the reliability of your internet connection.

I'm not trying to be a meanie or spoil your fun - if you can't afford an AIS receiver (which are rapidly dropping in price) then you should rely on visual lookout, just like mariners have done since time immemorial.
Strolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 10:20   #4
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strolls View Post
Using the the Marine Traffic site on your boat is dangerous, and that's totally irrespective of the reliability of your internet connection.I'm not trying to be a meanie or spoil your fun - if you can't afford an AIS receiver (which are rapidly dropping in price) then you should rely on visual lookout, just like mariners have done since time immemorial.
I agree,also You don't have important data from ship around e.g CPA,TCPA..and that could be dangerous.Speaking abt money low cost usb dual receiver with integrated gps is small investment and have mostly everything you need.
Gyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 13:20   #5

Thanks to boat_alexandra for a factual response.

Strolls and gyro - I don't believe you understood the question. The tool used aboard Altamira for navigation is OpenCPN and Simrad NSS7 chart-plotters in the N2K network. AIS is a tool used to ASSIST with the requirement to keep a proper lookout.

I didn't ask for either of your opinions. If you can't understand the question or provide an answer to the question, please refrain.

By the way, the limitation I spoke about is that, outside the range of my cellular internet provided, the AIS data would not be available.

For your information, CPA and other calculations are provided by the chart-plotter application, not AIS data - this is because the AIS data does not know about the ownship (my vessel) position, speed, etc.

Thanks for everything.
Old 12-05-2015, 13:28   #6

Im going to respond if you like it or not cuz it might save your life or the life of everyone else reading this post......ais from the internet can be delayed by just enough for you to think you are clear and then you might get run over by the same boat your ais thinks is 5 miles away. Better off with no info than bad info.

Andy

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
wellin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 13:56   #7

Well Andy,

That's what the radar is for. Anyway thanks for pointing out the fact that there may be a delay, significant or not.

Boat on.
Old 12-05-2015, 21:17   #8
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
AIS is a tool used to ASSIST with the requirement to keep a proper lookout.
You may be able to implement it using the Google earth plug in with marine traffic overlay turned on in Google earth.
I've played with that set up and having both real ais and Internet based ais on the same screen would say that using Internet based ais is probably worse than having nothing. The positions can be miles out and there's no practical way to check for age of position for every vessel, no cpa/tcpa. Possibly of use in very low traffic areas to alert of a ship far off but in any kind if traffic I really think you're better off without it on a boat in the real world. That's from having tried both live and Internet ais.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 05:07   #9

conachair,

I appreciate you sharing your actual experience. As soon as the existing VHF gives up the ghost, we'll likely replace it with the Simrad VHF that has the integrated AIS receiver (assuming Simrad has the VHF firmware sorted out by then), this will integrate with the rest of my Simrad/NMEA2K navigation network; and we have a nice RADAR as well, though unfortunately not capable of providing an overlay.

Maybe the Norfolk, Virginia USA harbor/nearby areas have an unusually large count of receivers providing data to Marine Traffic, and maybe my Verizon cellular wireless is unusually fast, but correlating the internet AIS positions with actual visual observations is meaningful, not that we will be crossing any ships bow based on it. Just being able to see the ship/tug&barge name is a plus - virtually all will respond to a VHF call by name, and sometimes you can get a better read of their intentions by talking with them, anyway.

I will give the google earth plug-in a try.

Thanks and boat on.
Joe
Old 16-03-2020, 12:14   #10

Quote:
conachair,

I appreciate you sharing your actual experience. As soon as the existing VHF gives up the ghost, we'll likely replace it with the Simrad VHF that has the integrated AIS receiver (assuming Simrad has the VHF firmware sorted out by then), this will integrate with the rest of my Simrad/NMEA2K navigation network; and we have a nice RADAR as well, though unfortunately not capable of providing an overlay.

Maybe the Norfolk, Virginia USA harbor/nearby areas have an unusually large count of receivers providing data to Marine Traffic, and maybe my Verizon cellular wireless is unusually fast, but correlating the internet AIS positions with actual visual observations is meaningful, not that we will be crossing any ships bow based on it. Just being able to see the ship/tug&barge name is a plus - virtually all will respond to a VHF call by name, and sometimes you can get a better read of their intentions by talking with them, anyway.

I will give the google earth plug-in a try.

Thanks and boat on.
Joe

hi - were you able to get ais internet source connected to opencpn? i'm trying to figure it out myself.

thx
maciek123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, enc, internet, marine, opencpn