Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2014, 21:56   #196
cruiser

Re: Hunter 356 Bluewater Capable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
Any vessel will roll in this situation. A prudent sailer would put out a stern anchor holding bow too.
Been there, done that multiple times.... it doesn't work.

In order to hold the boat into the wind as you suggest, both the bow line and stern line would need to be tight to the anchor, which is impossible with a tide. In every case when we tried this, the stern anchor would eventually work itself free, while being pulled and yanked side to side. With any slack in the stern rode, the boat just turns back parallel to the waves as the wind diminishes. Plus, the prop and shaft become endangered of becoming tangled in the stern rode during a wind shift.

In theory, one would hypothesize this scenario working, but in practice..... it fails miserably. Especially when other boats in the same anchorage all swing on a single bow anchor. A sure way to create chaos and piss everyone off.

But don't take my word for it, try it out yourself sometime... But have your diving gear ready. It's a gross feeling to watch helplessly as the stern anchor rode eventually crosses under the boat near the prop.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 22:17   #197

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Been there, done that multiple times.... it doesn't work.

In order to hold the boat into the wind as you suggest, both the bow line and stern line would need to be tight to the anchor, which is impossible with a tide. In every case when we tried this, the stern anchor would eventually work itself free, while being pulled and yanked side to side. With any slack in the stern rode, the boat just turns back parallel to the waves as the wind diminishes. Plus, the prop and shaft become endangered of becoming tangled in the stern rode during a wind shift.

In theory, one would hypothesize this scenario working, but in practice..... it fails miserably. Especially when other boats in the same anchorage all swing on a single bow anchor. A sure way to create chaos and piss everyone off.
I have done it many times especially at Great Kepple island large swell no wind works well. If there is wind contrary to the swell then a line is taken from the Genoa winch taken forward to the bow and attached to the anchor chain. Chain is let out to show the bow or stern to the swell and adjusted with winch and windlass.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 22:36   #198

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
I have done it many times especially at Great Kepple island large swell no wind works well. If there is wind contrary to the swell then a line is taken from the Genoa winch taken forward to the bow and attached to the anchor chain. Chain is let out to show the bow or stern to the swell and adjusted with winch and windlass.

Sounds like a great idea. Don't know if it would work on my particular boat but definitely worth a try. Thanks!
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 22:44   #199

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

He he, masochists!!! the best way to sleep in peace is to pull up the hook and get under way or found another calm spot to anchor....
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 22:50   #200

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
He he, masochists!!! the best way to sleep in peace is to pull up the hook and get under way or found another calm spot to anchor....
Yup, you could very well be right. How come these sorts of things always sound so much easier than how they often turn out?!
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 23:01   #201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Yup, you could very well be right. How come these sorts of things always sound so much easier than how they often turn out?!

Give me the natural motion of boat sailing in the waves anytime anywhere instead of a 8 hours rolling 90 degress side to side for the whole night..

I try the funy metod to point the bow to the swell with the the stern line linked to the anchor to until one tough squall at 3 AM , always in the midle of the night, profit, blow out of my mind the idea to repeat again anchor like a Y....
Old 18-12-2014, 04:32   #202

Boat: Catalina 310

Serious question related to anchoring in an area with waves and wind from different directions. Why wouldn't you just use a swell bridle?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 18-12-2014, 04:54   #203
cruiser

Quote:
I have done it many times especially at Great Kepple island large swell no wind works well. If there is wind contrary to the swell then a line is taken from the Genoa winch taken forward to the bow and attached to the anchor chain. Chain is let out to show the bow or stern to the swell and adjusted with winch and windlass. app
We've also tried this method multiple times with very limited and brief moments of success. The problem is, After eight hours or so in a windy situation, you'll end up with a tremendous amount of chaff on the snubber and sideways stresses on the bow roller with the rode extended at a 45 degree angle. If the wind dies, the boat will end up again lying beam to the swell. Each time the method was used, the line needed to be adjusted frequently to adjust for wind changes and ultimately, we ended up back where we started beam to the swell.

You forgot to mention the extended line to the Genoa winch needs to be lead back to a mid to stern block and cleat at a 45 degrees off the rode. Maybe this rig works better on some boats than on others and is very dependent on the conditions, but on a windy night with a 25 ton vessel... Doesn't work, wish it did.

Leave the comfort of your local cruising area sometime, you'll find that it's not always so easy to know where to go or where to anchor safe and comfortably.

And for the guys who think someone in this situation can simply just pull up the anchor and move, their view is very naive. It's not always possible to find an alternate anchorage or safe to go hunting for one in the dark. What if the nearest anchorage is 100 miles away? Or you're on the windward side of a shoreline that's 200 miles long and all anchorages offer a similar situation? Most times one just needs to grin and bear it. What if the alternate anchorage you've just moved to during the night doesn't offer good holding?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 05:20   #204
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
You're being ridiculous. Please step away from the computer and get out on your boat and spend some time at area anchorages enjoying yourself instead of playing these silly word games on the internet forum with people who are actually trying to help you out.
I'm not playing word games with people who are trying to help me out. Not at all.

There are lots of very experienced sailors around who are great at helping people out. Others - not so much. It all depends on the "helper's" attitude.
smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 05:28   #205
cruiser

Quote:
That's only possible if you're in a blue water boat. Heh-heh.
Old 18-12-2014, 06:29   #206
cruiser

Quote:

Thanks for the tip - and especially for making sense Simon. It's always good to hear from guys who have some real miles under their keels.
Old 18-12-2014, 06:31   #207

If is not posible to found a alternative anchorage or pull up the hook and move to other destination or place then sorry i think the skills of the skipper are really poor, if you do well your maths before to start a passage this things are not a problem unless
you want to suffer by purpose.

personally i believe that if you want to get rest and sleep well you need to choose to a good spot, if charts and pilot guides show a open anchorage exposed to currents and wind shifts and swells, well choose another one, i found it really masochist that if you want rest and instead you spend the whole freaking night playing with bridles and etc.. rolling and rolling what you get is exactly the contrary, you dont get rest, so i prefer set sail and sleep in the way, or move to another destination or anchorage, unless is a day night stop this rolly thing is not a problem, i see sometimes cruisers spend months in a rolly anchorage , lol... that hurt!!!

So after all i set plan A, if it fail i have my plan B, and if it fail i have my last resort, plan C....
Cheers.
Old 18-12-2014, 06:43   #208
cruiser

Quote:
If is not posible to found a alternative anchorage or pull up the hook and move to other destination or place then sorry i think the skills of the skipper are really poor, if you do well your maths before to start a passage this things are not a problem unless
you want to suffer by purpose.
Exactly. This has been my point for a while now. How on earth can you blame a boat for something like this?

Sure - I fully understand that in an extreme case or two you might get caught in a tough spot - it happens...but for one to base his logic about what makes a good or bad boat on this? This??

The boat can only do so much to cover a skipper's mistakes...Hunter or Hallberg.
Old 18-12-2014, 06:54   #209

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
If is not posible to found a alternative anchorage or pull up the hook and move to other destination or place then sorry i think the skills of the skipper are really poor,...
Clearly you have never been to St. Helena Island
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 07:01   #210

No never, in the midle of nowhere , the sizze of a coin in a chart, if is for repairs or in a emergency , thats ok. If not and i found exposed rolly anchorages then i keep going ,,

Tags
hunter, water