Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2015, 14:09   #136
Eternal Member

Re: 2015 bahamas gun check-in update

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

As I have repeatedly pointed out, many countries have rules for arms aboard ships, that are NOT the same as their citizens are subjected to, or that you would be subjected to if you imported such firearms . You actually CANNOT infer what rules apply to bonded firearms. Some countries have very strong rules, that are tighter then domestic laws ( the US being one) , others have more lenient rules, that allow you to hold firearms on your ship that would otherwise be heavily restricted on land.
Certainly, it can often be very difficult to obtain - even from official government websites - clear information regarding the temporary importation or possession of firearms by cruisers, as they generally comprise such a tiny percentage of visitors to most countries overall. If there will be any real value to this thread and the sort of first hand information the OP is willing to share, it will be to clarify some of those uncertainties...

Or, perhaps not... :-) As others have already mentioned, dealing with C&I officials, and how they may interpret their own duties, can vary widely from one port of entry to another, one day to the next, or even from morning to afternoon...

The OP cleared into the Bahamas in Bimini, for instance... Those folks know where their bread is buttered, and I suspect very few of the sportfishermen who make up a large percentage of their steady customers and repeat visitors are heading across the Stream without plenty of firepower aboard. So, the officials there are pretty accustomed to dealing with Americans bringing guns to Bimini :-)

But after many visits to the Bahamas, one year I found my check in at Harbour Island, North Eleuthera, to be far and away the friendliest, quickest, and easiest check in I'd ever had... Due to the passage of a very strong front shortly after my arrival, I even hunkered down in a protected cove across the harbor for 2 days, before conditions moderated enough to move closer to town, and make it ashore to check in... No problem at all, welcome to the Bahamas...

Needless to say, I repeated the procedure the following winter, sailing direct to Harbor Island, hoping for a similar painless experience, but this time heading for customs immediately upon my arrival... However, on most of the Out Islands, customs officials are rotated from one post to another with some regularity, and the guy I dealt with that year gave me one of the more unpleasant and tiresome experiences I have EVER had clearing into the Bahamas...

So, as usual, It Depends...

:-)
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply
Old 24-03-2015, 14:13   #137

Boat: Lagoon 380, 38', I Dream of Jeanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by natraps116 View Post
Update, we'll checking into turks and caicos in about 3 weeks so stay tuned. Then onward to DR

Sent from my D6616 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I'm anxious to see what happens. Please keep us informed.
timbenner is offline   Reply
Old 24-03-2015, 15:25   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnbreeze27 View Post
Having a gun onboard is self-reliance. You can protect yourself with it, you can use it as a sound signal, you can hunt with it to provide food.

Having an epirb on board is not self-reliance. There's people that need to be kept on a leash, so they feel protected. They need to have that out, so if the going gets tough, they can call in the men with helicopters, who will pick them up, and carry them to safety, and then call the insurance man, who will give them a check to cover their losses.

You hear about criminals using guns or other weapons against cruisers. You hear about police using guns or other weapons on both criminals and regular people (police killing people in the US is at an all time high, and it's under-reported because it is a voluntary report system!). You don't hear about the crazy gun-toting american cruisers who are wrecking havoc in various countries, or shooting each other in the mooring field, so why all the hate? Why all the anti-gun rhetoric? Can't somebody share their experience on here without YOU JUDGING THEM?

I, for one, would be interested in reading what the OP's experiences are, but it's not worth my time to wade through all the rhetoric, but hey, if it helps you sleep at night, I obviously can't stop you, just like you can't stop the criminals from using guns against innocents, or good people using guns to protect themselves and others.

Now come under my lee and heave to, or I will fire into you.
haha Excellent post.

Yes, I also want this thread to continue, without judgement. It's very interesting. I suppose that when the OP stops posting we can assume that he and his wife found the country that did not appreciate him declaring his weapons.

Please continue.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply
Old 24-03-2015, 15:30   #139

Quote:
Update, we'll checking into turks and caicos in about 3 weeks so stay tuned. Then onward to DR

Looking forward to it. I'm staying tuned. How about a picture of that gun safe?

Happy safe cruising!
Old 24-03-2015, 15:46   #140

Boat: Grand Soleil 46.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
Looking forward to it. I'm staying tuned. How about a picture of that gun safe?

Happy safe cruising!
You twisted my arm.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1427237156543.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	99377  

-Jedi master Yoda
natraps116 is offline   Reply
Old 24-03-2015, 16:31   #141

Quote:
You twisted my arm.

Excellent!! Thank you very much, kind sir!

I truly hope you and the Mrs. don't encounter any problems during your circumnavigation. Rover also!

Looking forward to your future updates. Have fun!
Old 24-03-2015, 17:21   #142
Eternal Member

Quote:
You twisted my arm.
Damn, that thing looks like it would probably come close to sinking my little tub... :-)

Gotta admit, that is most impressive... If you're gonna carry guns aboard, that certainly looks like the way to do it, and I would expect a setup like that would go a long way in favorably impressing officials that you take the notion of cruising with guns, and compliance with the laws of the places you intend to visit very seriously... It would certainly appear you're not attempting to 'hide' anything :-)

Good luck to you both, it will indeed be interesting to follow how this goes...
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply
Old 25-03-2015, 04:55   #143

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Just curious in reading the customs laws for T&C it is kind of fuzzy , with prior approval are you allowed to keep weapons on board or do they all have to be handed over until checkout? It even reads spearguns polespears and compressed air powered guns must be turned over. Sounds strict,

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply
Old 25-03-2015, 05:35   #144

I believe spearguns, even rubber powered are treated like rifles in Hong Kong and you need a hunting licence. Perhaps other countries as well. Careful with that...

A number of Thai people have told me spear fishing is frowned upon by Thais. I think it is a Buddhist thing. But it's ok to overfish using massive nets catching everything...
Moonos is offline   Reply
Old 25-03-2015, 06:41   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I've got a better chance of being shot by an uneducated armed US cruiser. Do you get out much?
I guess I don't get out much, either. I missed that report. Where did that happen at?
Old 25-03-2015, 10:16   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
Yup. That, and the fact the it is the 3rd least densely poulated country in the world after Namibia and Mongolia. Their murder rates are low also, I'd suspect.

Hard to get a clean shot off at a human when there aren't any in sight.

And wait til the Chinese show up like the Japs did in WWII. Someone(s) may be looking for American arms to defend themselves.

NOt to beat on a point too much but Remember the quote falsely attributed to Admiral Yamamoto " You could never invade the United States, there would be a gun behind every bush."? Its true. At least unless Barry and Nancy get their way

Yes, Im sure that you Aussies have fewer shootings than we. Freedom is not cheap. But I would not trade all the security in the Universe for it. To quote a famous Virginian,

“Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!” Patrick Henry.

Or what Ben Franklin had to say on the subject. "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

You think your free. Wait til the Chinese show up.
SniperSailor is offline   Reply
Old 25-03-2015, 13:21   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCall View Post
PortClyde-sometimes I wonder about the intellect of those who really do not think things through. If you are willing to risk the cost of secreting firearms away, and hoping they are not discovered, then more power to you. If discovered, you will find a "Go Directly to Jail, do not pass Go, do not collect $200" card attached. However, US consular officials can vist you to make sure you are treated OK.

Just one scenario-if you feel the need to use the weapon for the purpose you have it, i.e. to repel a boarder or some similar event, how do you do you explain to the local police having one or more firearms when you cleared in and declared no firearms on board? At that point, you have a major problem.
+1
Pretty much anything is possible but in general I like to go with the odds. The probable cost/benefit ratio of declaring a weapon vs hiding it and not declaring it seems pretty clear. I would think that the downside of having a non-declared weapon discovered would pretty much eliminate that as a serious alternative for rational educated folk. The idea of betting one's future on an assumed ability to fool those who spend their days searching the nooks and crannies of thousands of different kinds of boats, seems a bit like using the lottery as a retirement plan. The odds probably aren't in your favor and the cost of of failure is high. This has nothing to do with choosing whether or not to carry firearms on board and more to do with whether you see languishing in some third world prison as something to be avoided or simply as the next adventure to be savored.
sardinebreath is offline   Reply
Old 25-03-2015, 13:36   #148

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

Doesn't the Bahamas not allow spearguns, only slings and pole spears. T&C doesn't allow spearguns for the same reason, over fishing, shooting anything that swims. Each of those countries have their water resources as the largest resource for income, so no fish, no divers, etc. Understandable, I have even see people spear turtles.
keepondancin is offline   Reply
Old 25-03-2015, 17:13   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I could argue the US was saved by the French navy and all you were doing was repaying the favour ( lol )

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Those rare Americans among us who have some knowledge of history, are quite beholding to the French Navy, General Lafayette, and all the French soldiers, who were instrumental in our bid for independence.

But yes, lets get back to the OP.
SniperSailor is offline   Reply
Old 25-03-2015, 17:30   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by sardinebreath View Post
+1
Pretty much anything is possible but in general I like to go with the odds. The probable cost/benefit ratio of declaring a weapon vs hiding it and not declaring it seems pretty clear. I would think that the downside of having a non-declared weapon discovered would pretty much eliminate that as a serious alternative for rational educated folk. The idea of betting one's future on an assumed ability to fool those who spend their days searching the nooks and crannies of thousands of different kinds of boats, seems a bit like using the lottery as a retirement plan. The odds probably aren't in your favor and the cost of of failure is high. This has nothing to do with choosing whether or not to carry firearms on board and more to do with whether you see languishing in some third world prison as something to be avoided or simply as the next adventure to be savored.
To respond to two posts with one reply, please allow me to say this:

1) My wife and I meet cruisers in a remote cove and invite them to our boat for a nice dinner & wine. The husband asks me "Do you two cruise with any firearms?" To which, I respond "Guns? No. You will never catch me with any guns on board."

2) Some folks travel the planet with a permanent "Get out of jail free" card.

Everyone sail safe!

Please continue.

Ps; Mr. Sniper Sailor's remarks about liberty and security are right on the money! The founding fathers, and others, did a lot of thinking on this topic, thank God!
Closed Thread

Tags
Bahamas, bahamas