Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-02-2008, 11:47   #16
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Chris Parker's forecast is excellent, and I have sailed between 2 systems more than once with his information. His voice is also very easily understood. I can't seem to understand Herb.
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 12:05   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
Chris Parker's ... is voice is also very easily understood. I can't seem to understand Herb.
In the "old" days, I used to record weather broadcasts on a portable cassette recorder, then moved to a miniature digital voice recorder (when they became available).
Even when the announcer's voice is intelligible, there's (hopefully) just too much information to assimilate in real time.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 13:12   #18

Boat: Formosa 51 Aft Cockpit Ketch - "Beausoleil"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beausoleil View Post
I just heard from a friend cruising in the Cartegena, Columbia area. While he doesn't have a weather-capable Sirius radio, it does receive a good signal there...
Should have said "While he has only a consumer-type Sirius radio that doesn't interface to a chartplotter".
Beausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2008, 07:07   #19

Boat: R&C 46' power cat
With a garmin 478 xm weather works good from florida to georgetown. it's intermittant to caicos(if you can keep ant pointed nw) and after that-non existent.
Nauti Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2008, 07:10   #20

Boat: R&C 46' power cat
Also, with mariner package, some hardware can't get the forecast wind and waves(ie: garmin 478 won't do forecast wind and waves, so all mariner package adds is the satellite picture which works well) they don't tell you that when you buy it.
supposedly the higher end garmins do the forecasts
Nauti Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2008, 07:53   #21

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri
I work (fishing) as Far west as the date line (New Zealand) in the Aleutian Islands. Also as far north as the Bearing Strait. We found how to get a signal from XM years ago. XM did not claim to broadcast to Alaska, in fact they stopped sending us stuff, they were not licenced to broadcast up there, we had to have it sent home them have them ship it to us. Fishemen can be a very creative bunch...:-)
The marine Antennas were junk. We started with the little square home job. The key was to be able to point it to the horizon. Then we discovered the "salad bowl dish" Yep we used SS bowls around the little antennae made a huge improvement in reception.
Well that is all in the past now as we use the amplified antennae. About 4"X 6". Be sure to take it apart and silicone all the edges and you will have a long life, super reception unit. Our lives through Ice ups, 100 kits of wind blah blah blah. It takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'. (that is my son breaking ice so we can tie up)

The key when you get on the fringes of reception is to be able to aim for the horizon, most of the unit scan up in the sky and loose out when you are out on the fringes.

XM Radio Antennas

XM Radio Pro 500 Commercial Amplified Antenna
Commercial grade amplified outdoor weather proof antenna
Price: $129.95
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0634.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	337.0 KB
ID:	6450  
Jmolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:43   #22

Re: XM Weather in the Bahamas

Any updates on this topic? I have the Garmin 376 with XM weather, crossing from West Palm to Hope Town and wondering if I will get coverage in the Abacos. Thanks
FloriBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:40   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes; you'll probably get XM radio in the Abacos.
Both Sirius and XM are designed to be used only within the United States; although the reception footprint is somewhat larger.
If you are planning on getting a satellite radio for the Caribbean, the best choice by far is Sirius. XM uses directional antennas on geostationary satellites. The signal is therefore directed at the US and very little signal makes it to areas outside the US. While some people still receive signal in the central Bahamas, there is no reception south of east of there. Sirius uses moving satellites that allow somewhat better coverage, but it is still not great.

XM Footprint below:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	footprint-xm.gif
Views:	192
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	27225  

Old 11-05-2011, 08:45   #24

Thanks for the info
FloriBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:51   #25

Boat: Taswell 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Yes; you'll probably get XM radio in the Abacos.
Both Sirius and XM are designed to be used only within the United States; although the reception footprint is somewhat larger.
If you are planning on getting a satellite radio for the Caribbean, the best choice by far is Sirius. XM uses directional antennas on geostationary satellites. The signal is therefore directed at the US and very little signal makes it to areas outside the US. While some people still receive signal in the central Bahamas, there is no reception south of east of there. Sirius uses moving satellites that allow somewhat better coverage, but it is still not great.

XM Footprint below:

Gord Im a long time XM subscriber, land based only, and I was under the impression that post merger xm and sirus were one and the same now? Are you telling me I should be able to get XM/Sirius weather in the caribbean?
SV Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:31   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Escape Plan View Post
Gord Im a long time XM subscriber, land based only, and I was under the impression that post merger xm and sirus were one and the same now? Are you telling me I should be able to get XM/Sirius weather in the caribbean?
No, I'm not.
They're now one corporate ownership, but still use separate & different satellite technologies. Nothing has changed there.

Tags
Bahamas