Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2015, 09:41   #61

Re: Windows 10 and mandatory updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
And the difference one year on would be....?
A year in computers is the equivalent of 20 years in boats.
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 11:24   #62

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

I haven't run Linux in a while but used Debian for a number of years. It was probably the wrong distribution for me and seemed always to need upgrades. Although the upgrades were reasonably painless they still required work. I found moving to Linux a steep learning curve although I understand it is easier now. Research the different distros and get several opinions on what might be the best for you before you decide what to get. If you search on 10 best linux distros you will get lots of hits and lots of opinions.

The thing that drove me crazy with Linux is that there is so much information and much of it is outdated or applies to a specific distribution. It can be intimidating at times.

Just another opinion. By the way I am getting ready to install Linux on my old (approx. 5 yrs) windows desktop. Pig for punishment maybe...but I will see how things have changed in the last 7 or 8 years.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 13:24   #63

Boat: Cape Dory 28 (Sold Nov 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
I was perfectly happy with Windows 97.
And I can live with hand pumps, but ...

"They" kinda push us into updates, despite our reluctance and non-desire. My ideal rig is a simple notebook running the latest Ubuntu and then learning that every needed (and I emphasize "needed" twice) application is ported and supported to "nix."

As the song goes, "long time comin'."
Old 01-08-2015, 13:56   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrydeare View Post
And I can live with hand pumps, but ...

"They" kinda push us into updates, despite our reluctance and non-desire. My ideal rig is a simple notebook running the latest Ubuntu and then learning that every needed (and I emphasize "needed" twice) application is ported and supported to "nix."

As the song goes, "long time comin'."

And now we have this about their new browser. It never ends.
crabcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 15:10   #65

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
And now we have this about their new browser. It never ends
If people can't figure out how to set FF or whatever as their default browser maybe they should go back to the Abacus.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 15:42   #66

Boat: Rafiki 37

Everyone is different but just upgraded to from Window 8.1 to 10 and didn't like 10. Ended up downgrading to 8.1. I do have an after market "start" button program on 8 called Classic Shell as I found the standard Metro user interface unusable.

Basically Windows 10 added help and popups that kept showing up on the screen that I couldn't easily stop and some added programs I could stop but wasn't able to remove their icons from the taskbar. Then you can add the inability to turn off all updates as an extra value added feature I didn't want. Just extra annoyances.

It also took an extremely long time to shutdown and I don't like waiting around to verify my machine is actually off and no one can just come by and turn on the monitor and start using my login.

Microsoft still doesn't get that all I want an operating system for is to launch the programs I want to use and not get in the way with all their "cutting edge" addons.
kentobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 16:05   #67
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Agreed, all I want OSA simple and stable platform to run my apps.

As a fossil I still running XP on a machine with a SSD.

I use Fugawi Marine and have no gut a lot of raster charts for Eastern Canada $$$$.

I also have sail mail and an iridium app.

I use Chrome, and have OpenOffice.

I also use TurboCAD a bit.

I presume the navigation release of Unix would handle all that?

Would Navigratrix allow me to load OpenOffice and win internet browser and a mail program?
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 18:15   #68
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentobin View Post
Microsoft still doesn't get that all I want an operating system for is to launch the programs I want to use and not get in the way with all their "cutting edge" addons.
AMEN!! All I have ever wanted is to quickly access the presently accepted work program "Office" to manage my time....

For me the biggest issue is the years I have invested in organizing MS OFFICE especially OUTLOOK (Corporate Version) ..... so that I can quickly research past email conversations linked to different project files going back to the 90"s.

Presently using Win 7 on a 4 yr old Acer laptop... and being asked to upgrade to 10.... I know it is about time to buy a new laptop

Was tempted after the Vista fiasco to switch to Apple, but found out that Outlook was not fully supported on the pro level and since my pst file is about 5 Gb, apparently archiving would loose the file conversation structure .

Now using Office/OUTLOOK 2010... which takes forever to load

Is there an alternate program and simple way to wean myself away from
Office-Outlook, without loosing all that file structure I have memorized?
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 18:44   #69

This is really annoying. Our laptop is getting on a bit, some keys don't work, etc.

But why would I want to buy a new one with an operating system that's just going to waste our data allowance and generally annoy the crap out of me?

Why do MS operating systems seem to get worse instead of better?

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 19:34   #70

Boat: Rinker 24

I'm keeping away from Win 10 for a while, maybe permanently who knows.

Not only are the updates data hogs apparently, but there seem to be a few security/privacy issues that may turn out to be somewhat significant. Anyone interested can do a web search like I did, I have no inside info or anything.

I have a couple of machines with linux/ubuntu on them and my tablet has Win 8, which may be my last windows version. It can still be a little fiddly, but at this point I have no qualms with putting linux of some flavor on the next new machine I get, whether it is a laptop or a desktop.
MBWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 20:19   #71

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
AMEN!! All I have ever wanted is to quickly access the presently accepted work program "Office" to manage my time....

For me the biggest issue is the years I have invested in organizing MS OFFICE especially OUTLOOK (Corporate Version) ..... so that I can quickly research past email conversations linked to different project files going back to the 90"s.

Presently using Win 7 on a 4 yr old Acer laptop... and being asked to upgrade to 10.... I know it is about time to buy a new laptop

Was tempted after the Vista fiasco to switch to Apple, but found out that Outlook was not fully supported on the pro level and since my pst file is about 5 Gb, apparently archiving would loose the file conversation structure .

Now using Office/OUTLOOK 2010... which takes forever to load

Is there an alternate program and simple way to wean myself away from
Office-Outlook, without loosing all that file structure I have memorized?
I feel your pain, Pelagic. Outlook starts to buckle at the knees once a certain capacity is reached and that capacity is just as much related to the number of emails rather than the actual overall file size. The officially mentioned limit is about 5000 emails in any one folder, but the real world limit is somewhat less in my experience. Size does matter however and the slow loading is indicative of the size of your email file. If you are loading many emails from exchange or IMAP with caching turned off, go make a pot of coffee or even go to lunch while Outlook opens.

The sad news is the more you add the more you will enter the world of hurt and unfortunately archiving is the only real solution in the long term. Archiving wont change the folder structure, but it will split your existing file into two (the existing "working" file and the archived file) with both having the same folders wherever archived emails resided.

You may be able to delay the inevitable by compacting your data file on a regular basis or maybe even running the Outlook pstscan inbox tool (a repair utility) from time to time. Other than that, save each "project", or group of projects, to it's own data file (this can be done by creating new data files and dragging and dropping folders etc from the existing Inbox data file). Then you can open and close required data files as needed.

Another alternative that works for some is to recreate the folder hierarchy on the hard drive and save all emails and attachments as documents into that folder. Massive PITA but is effective.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:39   #72
CF Adviser

Thanks Reefmagnet ...... I was afraid there was no "easy" solution... Time to reorganize.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:46   #73

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
I feel your pain, Pelagic. Outlook starts to buckle at the knees once a certain capacity is reached and that capacity is just as much related to the number of emails rather than the actual overall file size. The officially mentioned limit is about 5000 emails in any one folder, but the real world limit is somewhat less in my experience.
Outlook 2010 certainly has no issues with 5000 emails in any one folder. I have 17k emails in one folder and it's fast. Outlook 2010 has a default maximum PST size of 50GB. I do not encourage you to have big PST files, but I have customers with 20-40gb PST files and they work just fine.

More than likely you would be very pleased if you upgraded your notebook's hard disk to a SSD, and maybe the TLC of an IT professional.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:56   #74

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
If people can't figure out how to set FF or whatever as their default browser maybe they should go back to the Abacus.
LOL... you know I've had customers that have said "My new computer works great, but you forgot to install Outlook" which translated to "I normally click on the outlook icon on the desktop to use outlook, but it's not on the desktop so I am lost."
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 15:09   #75
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnbreeze27 View Post
More than likely you would be very pleased if you upgraded your notebook's hard disk to a SSD, and maybe the TLC of an IT professional.
Encouraging that Outlook 2010 has that design capacity.

My next notebook will be s lighter SSD... Any recommendation?
Here in the Philippines an IT professional is something of a misnomer..

Tags
wind