Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2010, 19:26   #1

Which Do You Select: Marine-Grade or Consumer-Grade ?

When setting up a boat with electronic comforts, [say: LCD TV or screen, computer, microwave, CD/DVD player, toaster, kettle, even work tools etc [would air conditioning fit in here?]] do you need to select marine quality or is it a case of best consumer quality.
I have just read an article that said: yes, you need to select marine quality. Then goes on to state how important/handy computers are – but he only has normal consumer type Notebooks, which seem to contradict his own words.
[ . . .there are ‘rugged’ type notebooks available similar to what the arm forces use [about 4 times more expensive]]. Also I understand the next question has to be concerning energy and power supply.
RubyBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2010, 19:38   #2

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
We used standard laptops on board Exit Only. I don't think we had marinized versions of anything on our catamaran. We have a very dry yacht, and regular versions of gear seem to do fine.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2010, 19:51   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
We had several computer and electrical corrosion problems on our first trip south (amazing what salt gets into) after that we started using Boeshields T9. We open up everything on the boat from the laptop to the TV, ignition wiring harness AC and DC electrical panels, fuel injectors, fuel tanks and everything metal and spray liberally with T9. No one would ever be able to tell our boat spent two years in salt we have zero corrosion.
Old 31-01-2010, 19:52   #4

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
We had several computer and electrical corrosion problems on our first trip south (amazing what salt gets into) after that we started using Boeshields T9. We open up everything on the boat from the laptop to the TV, ignition wiring harness AC and DC electrical panels, fuel injectors, fuel tanks and everything metal and spray liberally with T9. No one would ever be able to tell our boat spent two years in salt we have zero corrosion.

I never thought of that.

Thanks.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2010, 19:56   #5

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
We did the same thing with Boeshield. We sprayed all of the engine, transmission, and everything electrical. Our electrical panel looks new after more than sixteen years because of the Boeshield coating all the wire terminations. No green copper corrosion on board Exit Only.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2010, 19:58   #6

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
What about stanchions and rigging etc?
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2010, 20:07   #7
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
What about stanchions and rigging etc?
Outside we waxed our stainless cause' the T9 is a little tacky
Old 31-01-2010, 20:07   #8

Well for starters, price things with the word "marine" on them vs without.

A prime non electronic example is simple green in the supermarket is $4.95
Add the word "marine" and it costs, $9.95. It is pretty much the same with most things that can be either normal or marine.

Like the others I use T9 to coat things. I also use whatever works for me, a few things are marine grade, but not most.

faucets, water filteration system came from Home Depot.
TV/dvd player best buy.

If I can help, let me know.. pm me..
'b.
bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2010, 20:14   #9

Boat: Morgan, O.I. 33' Dutch Treat
LOL this is gunna be a fun thread, you will have some say its a boat you do not need half the things you listed that a boat is made to be sailed that if you want all that live in a home then you will have others that will disagree.

This is my opinion alot depends on how you plan to use the boat and the size of the boat.

I am guessing that you plan to be a live aboard.
Do you plan to travel?
what type of boat?? sail/motor??
Size??

After living on land for most of my life it took me about a year to down size everything I own to fit on a boat, coming from a 1,200 house to a 33' boat is a big change.

I do agree that in alot of thing you are better off to buy marine grade but disagree on others.

I have made alot of changes on my boat that I know people will disagree with. I took out the DC Adler Barber cold plate and installed a home icebox, I removed the LPG stove and installed a Electric range/oven and Removed the Marine Air unit and plan to replace it with a heatpump. I have my reasons for all this but it would make the post very long to state way.

My wife and I live on a 33' boat and do plan to travel if I ever get all my work done, lately we had a few set backs.

I have 2 flat screen TV's a home computer and a laptop with DSL, a stereo and inside lighting system most of this are toys and while we travel will not be used.

Up until 2 weeks ago we did sail alot we tried to get away from the dock every week but ran into a set back with the motor.

Now to the upgrades that I have planned, some are done aready, I list them so you can understand why I made the choices I did.

first off you figure out your basic needs refrigaration, cooking and water then figure out your luxury items after that figure out your energy needs.

In my case I wanted to use as much renewable energy as I could. My energy needs come out to around 400 amp hours to 600 amp hours based on that I had to get a battery bank that was 1,160 Amp Hours due to recommended use is 50% drain. then how to recharge. I plan to have 4 sources to do that, Solar pannels 600 watts, 400 watt wind Generator 6,500 deisel generator and then shore power with a battery charger when not sailing.

Up until now I have used my Laptop as a chartplotter with paper backup, this will soon be replaced with a Raymarine chartplotter and the laptop will become backup.

As for water the cost of water makers are very high and use alot of energy so I plan to have a rain collection that will fill my tanks.

I hope this info helps.

Dutch
johnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2010, 20:19   #10

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
A lot of items, such as interior lights, etc. are available much more reasonably at RV dealers.
Old 31-01-2010, 20:22   #11
Marine Service Provider

Hey Dutch, Where on earth do you put a 6.5kilowatt diesel generator on a 33' sailboat ?
Old 31-01-2010, 20:25   #12

fits right above the Perkins in the engine room
Old 31-01-2010, 20:33   #13
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnar View Post
fits right above the Perkins in the engine room
I'd love to see a photo of that the last OI 33 I saw , you could'nt get a bread box in there.
Old 31-01-2010, 20:34   #14

I am sorry it is above behind the motor above the trans :

Dimensions:
  • H: 22 3/4 in
  • W: 18 7/8 in
  • D: 30 1/5 in
Net Weight:
  • AED6500W: 351 lbs
Dutch
Old 31-01-2010, 20:37   #15

I will post pics as soon as i am done right now I have the head off the motor due to a blown head gasket last week.