Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2008, 10:29   #16

Boat: SWITCH 51 CATAMARAN - ZIA
Hey There,

we use a 5milewifi unit that plugs into two usb ports on our computer. we have connected at 9 miles away from the hotspots. it works great. 5MileWIFI.com

best of luck on the cruise,

joe
Old 17-08-2008, 10:52   #17

other option

If you dont want to invest in sat phone, or do not want to get a ham license and use Pactor/Sail Mail. There is a new product called Sight speed. You would have to use a wifi or land internet connection, but it allows you to phone through the internet. It is FREE. Go to this sight and check it out. Calling the US from the BAHAMAS is .03 per minute! if you have a web cam, you can even have video calls! I dont have it, but want to look into it also. The site lists price per minute from all over the world.
https://secure.sightspeed.com/curren...0fd90aa/en_US/
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2008, 19:31   #18

Boat: Will be a 50' Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soft Air View Post
The email box connected to your SSB radio for email and weather is called PACTOR and if you google it you will find plenty of info on all the current PACTOR options, you will need to find or have good skills for propper HF antenna and ground as well as Pactor wiring. Best,
I am very new to all this so apologize in advance for some dumb Qs... was trying to get a handle on the cost of getting email when outside Coastal areas... looks like it costs about USD$ 250/mth but here is the catcher..you apparently have to have an Amateur Ham Radio License... I fooled around with Ham Radio's when I was a kid, never got a license because I was never going to be able to read morse code at the rate required... I am thinking most sailors are not Licensed either.. does everyone just ignore that requirement or is there some other way around... I know in my flying, I can use the same radio freqs the 747 pilots use and never got a license... so I figure this SSB is same thing? Buy the radio and you are an Operator ??

"To use the Winlink 2000 system, you must hold an Amateur Radio License granting appropriate operating privileges and/or be a member of a supported organization or agency."

Thanks for any thoughts on this...

Cheers
capcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 08:15   #19

To use Win link you will need a Ham license I believe. At least it was that way several years ago. Not sure how much the Fed has backed off on Ham requirements. I heard the rumor a few years ago that the code requirements were changed. Sail mail I dont know. The hams will be all over you if you try without a license and call letters. As far as I know e mail through the ham link has no cost.
Old 18-08-2008, 08:33   #20

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
With an SSB radio, PACTOR modem, and a laptop you can exchange e-mail at sea.

When you properly license your marine SSB station (a restricted operator permit for you and a station license for the boat neither of which require a test, both of which require some fees) you will get a callsign that will allow you to use PACTOR for e-mail on marine SSB frequencies. The going rate for accounts with Sailmail and Cruisemail is 250 USD per year.

If you get an amateur radio license (exam and trivial fee, if any, depending on the examiner), you will get a quite different callsign that will allow you to use PACTOR for e-mail on ham radio frequencies. There is no charge to use the amateur Winlink system.

On commercial systems your connect time is generally limited. I haven't found that to be very difficult to manage on Sailmail, but I do use Winlink also.

On amateur frequencies (i.e. Winlink) there are limits on content, the most significant of which is nothing of pecuniary interest to the parties involved. My understanding is that the FCC has interpreted the rules as allowing for repair parts to be ordered since the pecuniary interest of the vendor is secondary to the safety of the boat and operators. You might want to consult with the Winlink organization before counting on that; I use Sailmail for anything with any commercial interest to anyone at all.

73 es sail fast, dave / KO4MI
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 08:49   #21

Auspicious,
Thanks for the great up to date info. One question: Has the code requirement changed for a general license? At one point I heard the code requirement was going to be eliminated entirely..
KC7KBL
Old 18-08-2008, 14:03   #22

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
There is no longer any Morse code requirement for any class of amateur radio license. You can get a Technician, General, or Extra class license by passing multiple choice written tests.

Some of us still use CW regardless.

73 es sail fast, dave / KO4MI
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 14:16   #23

Boat: Will be a 50' Cat
Thanks for the information !!
capcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 15:49   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gludy View Post
When out at sea
if its just email you want then you can get that via a box attached to your SSB radio and a PC - you subscribe to various services that provide email services.
You can also download weather information including images this way.

If you want more than that when out at sea you would need a sat dish and a broadband connection. That expensive.

In many harbours of course there is WiFi and you just need your computer with a wifi connection.
Yaghan

Take a look at this blog, they sail a Hallberg Rassy 62 without moneyproblem, and have much nice info on their electronics, and it´s a very nice cruising route... Even in english.
freetime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean