Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2016, 21:18   #16

Boat: Passport 41, Custom Perry in steel.
Re: vyacht Wi-fi...... HELP please

Just as a experiment, I did turn my W8 lap-top into a Router, and it worked fine (iBall softAP). However I connected my GPS Puck into the laptop made sure it was working, and I rather wished that nmea data from GPS would appear in (DeskTop, Tablet, Mobile) all failed, but good with internet.
Seems I need something else, any suggestions.
Oceanride007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 04:37   #17

Boat: 1978 Lancer 30 MkIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanride007 View Post
Just as a experiment, I did turn my W8 lap-top into a Router, and it worked fine (iBall softAP). However I connected my GPS Puck into the laptop made sure it was working, and I rather wished that nmea data from GPS would appear in (DeskTop, Tablet, Mobile) all failed, but good with internet.
Seems I need something else, any suggestions.
Yeah, don't fit a round peg to a square hole. A USB GPS puck connected to a pc is not going to share it's data, cross platform, with other devices by virtue of your desktop running router software.

My suggestion: set up your "desktop", get the software running on the pc, sensors, etc then RDP from other devices to the pc.

Easy.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Rock-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 07:38   #18

Boat: a sailing boat

You can have the puck work under say OpenCPN and OpenCPN can share the nmea gps data as well as any other data over the ethernet. HOWEVER since you want to use the ethernet link to deliver the Internet to the V toy I think you may have a hard time trying to 'share the cable' - port forwarding, adapter bridging, etc. - make sure you are not making a simple task hard.

Neither am I sure the V thing forwards ethernet nmea data over the wireless, does it? I think it only multiplexes and broadcasts data from the two serial connectors? If so, then why push puck data onto the cable?

Vyacht has connectors for nmea data - so you can just plug in the nmea cables into it and that's that. If you insist on PC for the Internet then as others mentioned - you can bridge the wifi and the ethernet on the PC and then share the Internet from the computer to the V thing over the ethernet cable. As I said, the same can be achieved without PC, simply sharing a wifi extender data over the ethernet (a wifi extender with eth socket required), an alternative is a 3/4G capable router (if you take your Internet from the 3/4G source).

You can often configure anything to do whatever you want. But why.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 12:17   #19

Boat: Huon 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-Head View Post
I don't think you specified your operating system yet, just that you have a "computer". You could be running Linux for all I know... If it's windows, here's a link that might provide some insight into what you are trying to do.

Using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) - Windows Help

If it's Win10, here's a neat little piece of software to make your PC a hotspot.

How to turn your Windows 10 PC into a Wi-Fi hotspot

Good luck!
Thanks...... it's actually Windows 8 system.... I don't think either of those links are entirely correct for my system, however they have pointed me in the right direction.... right clicking on a connection gives the option to "bridge connections"....... I guess this will work. I will check it out when next on board.....
Gi-Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 01:32   #20

Hi, my vyacht wifi router has a usb socket to Connect a usb 3G dongle.
I got an Huawei K5150 with Vodafone data sim... OK

But now, what shall I do to share internet signal vía wifi?

It Will be just plug and play?

Must I configure the router/dongle?

javierjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:38   #21

Trying to connecting the 3G usb dongle..
It is not pulg and play
Plz help
javierjazz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease, yacht