Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2020, 06:53   #1

Boat: Island Packet 40
Viewing NMEA Data Stream

One of the extremely handy functions on OpenCPN is the ability to view the NMEA 0183 data stream. Is anyone aware of a way to do this with the NMEA 2000 data stream on Raymarine MFD,s
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 07:46   #2

Boat: Lancer 27PS
Re: Viewing NMEA Data Stream

No. The NMEA 2000 data stream is in hexadecimal format. You will need special decoding software to view that data. The data stream is proprietary to the creators.

That said, I am sure there is something out there that will allow you to view the data. But I have not heard of anything. I have looked but did not see; knocked but the door remained locked.

Someone might come on board and indicate there is a way, hopefully.
Brian.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 09:49   #3

If you are handy with computers you might find this worth a look:

https://github.com/canboat/canboat/wiki
AedanC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 12:42   #4

the best way I've found is the maretron usb gateway and maretron N2KAnalyzer software on a pc.

the software is free but gateway isn't cheap though.

veiwing nmea 183 can be done right in windows. no need for opencpn.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 12:56   #5
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

like the OP said: you need a hardware gateway .. a way for a PC or smart phone to read and analyze the NMEA 2000 data stream using software and a USB port or WIFI connection
Old 04-02-2020, 21:24   #6

Thank you for your interest folks.

I have a couple of USB to RS 422/485 converters serial port analyses software which I have used to trouble shoot NMEA 0183 problems in the past, which was readable because the output is comma separated asci, but it looks like this would not work with N2K.

I was hoping that the Lighthouse software might contain diagnostic routines which if accessed would do something similar to the display function in OpenCPN and that a renagade Raymarine techy might enlighten us on how to access it by some cunning series of softkey actions.

AedinC, the link you provided lead to some software which looks both fascinating and like it might do the job but would take me to an intellectual space I am not too keen to immerse myself in at 75 years of age. Thanks anyway.
Old 05-02-2020, 09:09   #7

Boat: Swan 43

The Actisense NGT N2k to USB gateway isn’t too expensive and there is a variant with a Raymarine connector. The Actisense NMEA reader software is quite good, and free. Obviously you’ll need a computer too!
TomNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 10:01   #8

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Crealock 37

The Vesper XB8000 echoes the names 2000 data over USB and WiFi.
pbartlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 11:56   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomNH View Post
The Actisense NGT N2k to USB gateway isn’t too expensive and there is a variant with a Raymarine connector. The Actisense NMEA reader software is quite good, and free. Obviously you’ll need a computer too!
Thanks mate, the Actisense NMEA reader software looks like exactly what I was looking for, pity Raymarine couldn't include it in their software but that's life.

Since the USB to RS 422/485 converter I already have will pull the data stream into my computer I'm wondering whether the Actisense software will then interpret and display it. Looks like something to add to the project list.
Old 05-02-2020, 15:55   #10

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

Raymond, did you try asking Raymarine on their tech support forum?
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 17:33   #11

Boat: Swan 43

No worries. I’m not sure your existing hardware will work with Seatalk NG as I think it is N2K with a different connector, and thus all CAN bus at the physical layer and will require different decoding hardware.

The Vesper XB8000 solution can help (I have one) but it actually only decides/translates a disappointingly small number of PGNs - so it depends on what data you want access to. Alternatives on that theme might be the yacht devices or Actisense WiFi gateways.
TomNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 07:20   #12

Boat: C&C 35 MK-II

One more idea, try the Can Log Viewer from Yacht devices. It can read the RM log file.

https://www.yachtd.com/products/can_view.html
Old 13-02-2020, 07:58   #13

Boat: Outremer 50S

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Thanks mate, the Actisense NMEA reader software looks like exactly what I was looking for, pity Raymarine couldn't include it in their software but that's life.

Since the USB to RS 422/485 converter I already have will pull the data stream into my computer I'm wondering whether the Actisense software will then interpret and display it. Looks like something to add to the project list.
It won't pull an NMEA 2000 stream into your computer. NMEA 2000 uses CAN instead of the RS422/485 used by 0183. So you need a different USB adapter to read the CAN (the physical layer of CAN differs from 422/485). The Actisense does that and converts to 0183. You can also just pick up a cheap CAN adapter, but then you are into the GitHub/SignalK/Decoder ring realm to read/interpret the data.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 12:37   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronstory View Post
One more idea, try the Can Log Viewer from Yacht devices. It can read the RM log file.

https://www.yachtd.com/products/can_view.html
Thanks mate, I've downloaded the software which looks like it will do the job.
Old 13-02-2020, 12:45   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
It won't pull an NMEA 2000 stream into your computer. NMEA 2000 uses CAN instead of the RS422/485 used by 0183. So you need a different USB adapter to read the CAN (the physical layer of CAN differs from 422/485). The Actisense does that and converts to 0183. You can also just pick up a cheap CAN adapter, but then you are into the GitHub/SignalK/Decoder ring realm to read/interpret the data.
Not sure where I got the information that NMEA 2000 used RS 485 but about a minutes research shows that it is wrong and that although there are similarities in the differential signal RS485 is polarity shifted and CAN level shifted.

Ah well, back to the drawing board. The up side appears to be that the CAN to USB converters available include mush cheaper units than the RS422/485 converter I already have.

Tags
nmea