Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2014, 03:24   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Useful Triton Screen in New Software

It's incredible that Navico don't document at all the features of a key piece of their gear like the Triton displays. They don't describe the available screens in the documentation and you can't even find screenshots! So it's kind of potluck.

Here's one great screen I ran across:

Click image for larger version

Name:	tritontwdscreen.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	77877

So you can get True Wind Direction expressed in a compass direction, and you can display it on a Full Analogue screen. True Wind is almost never displayed as a compass direction -- it's displayed as an angle to the bow. Wind displayed as a compass direction is usually Ground Wind, which is in fact what I'm interested in -- since my Maretron DSM250 is on the fritz, I want to know the wind direction from the nav table.

But at anchor or docked, i.e. tethered to the ground, True Wind = Ground Wind, so this is really not a problem. I just wish that I could get it to display direction plus speed.

I can get that on the Zeus:

Name:	zeuswindhisto.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	77878

This is a great screen for being at anchor, as you get 10 minutes of speed and direction history. Ah, I just wish I could have 24 hours of history -- wouldn't that be great.

The new Triton software gives you a nifty wind histogram -- also you can have True Wind Direction expressed as a compass direction:

Name:	tritonwindhisto.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	77879

I don't know what the time horizon is, but it's pretty cool. Just wish there were a graphical display of the wind direction.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 07:05   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Useful Triton Screen in New Software

It would be virtually impossible for them to list every screen possible because they provide templates that allow any data to be used in them. You show two of those templates - the analog gauge and one of the histograms. The combinations of data that can be used in just these two templates would lead to pages of examples.

I don't understand your point about a graphical display of wind direction - the histogram shows just that.

The time horizon on the Triton is 10, 30, and 60 minutes - selectable by using the arrow keys. I suspect your Zeus also has more options than just the 10min display time.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 07:36   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
It would be virtually impossible for them to list every screen possible because they provide templates that allow any data to be used in them. You show two of those templates - the analog gauge and one of the histograms. The combinations of data that can be used in just these two templates would lead to pages of examples.

I don't understand your point about a graphical display of wind direction - the histogram shows just that.

The time horizon on the Triton is 10, 30, and 60 minutes - selectable by using the arrow keys. I suspect your Zeus also has more options than just the 10min display time.

Mark
Just found the time selection -- thanks! Still not 24 hours, but 60 minutes is much better!

Was it you who said that there is a way to show magnified wind (close-hauled wind)? I can't figure out how to do that.
Old 21-03-2014, 09:43   #4

Set up an apparent wind display on the analog gauge and use the up-down arrow keys - they toggle between full scale and magnified scale. I forget if this also works on the main wind display.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 26-03-2014, 03:19   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Set up an apparent wind display on the analog gauge and use the up-down arrow keys - they toggle between full scale and magnified scale. I forget if this also works on the main wind display.

Mark
Thank! I'll play with that.
Old 26-03-2014, 08:09   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks, Mark, for all your helpful suggestions. I have spent some time with the new software and have made a lot of progress figuring out all these undocumented features. Some things I've figure out -- and hope it's useful to other Triton users:

1. Time horizon on wind histogram screen (called "Wind Plot"). Can be changed between 10, 20, and 30 minutes by using the arrow keys. NOTE TO NAVICO: would be nice to have the option of longer time horizons.

2. Magnified wind. This is pretty nifty -- it works just like you said:

Name:	triton8.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	78126

To get it, you choose the Full Analogue screen, choose AWA as data. Then you toggle between Magnified Wind and a regular wind screen with the arrow keys.

NOTE TO NAVICO: Could we have the apparent wind speed in the window inside the dial besides AWA or at least instead of it?

3. There is no Magnified Wind in the regular wind screen ("Composite Wind"). NOTE TO NAVICO: let us have magnified wind here!

4. There is no Ground Wind on the Triton. Note to Navico: Please let us have Ground Wind! But you can make a pretty decent weather screen by using the Analogue screen and putting in AWD as the main data displayed:

Name:	triton9.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	78125

NOTE TO NAVICO: Could we, pretty please, have a compass rose in this screen? And Ground Wind? Ground Wind is not essential at anchor and on dock, where this screen is most useful, since when tied to the ground True Wind = Ground Wind. But this screen would also be useful under way, and underway you will not be able to see the real compass direction of the wind if a tide is running.
Old 26-03-2014, 08:15   #7

Huh. The time frames use to be 10, 30, and 60 minutes in the older software. I find 10, 20, 30 much less useful - I use to only use 10 and 60 in the past, so don't have any use for 20.

Mark

Old 26-03-2014, 09:30   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Huh. The time frames use to be 10, 30, and 60 minutes in the older software. I find 10, 20, 30 much less useful - I use to only use 10 and 60 in the past, so don't have any use for 20.

Mark
Yup. 20 minutes is pretty lame, but that's what we've got.

OTOH, the Zeus wind plot shows 60 minutes. Would be great to have 24 hours!

Tags
screen, software