Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2018, 03:30   #31

Re: Unsafe AIS oversight

Quote:
Originally Posted by josky65 View Post
Thanks for replying, yes i am aware of filters and these were set to "show all". Also the ship was steaming at 13 knots and the rescue vessel 30 knots, so should not be affected.

/j

Sorry, I thought you said they were moored, but reading more carefully I see one was "previously" moored.

I guess I'm confused by your configuration, and where you are seeing what.

You have a V50 that has a built-in AIS receiver. Are you correctly seeing targets on the VHF, but not on the Zeus? Or vice versa?

And you say the B200 is not connected to anything yet? I assume you mean it's not connected to the Zeus? But it's own GPS is connected to the B200, along with a VHF antenna? So the B200 is operating, but stand-alone? Do you have any means to see if the B200 is receiving target info?

Any shared antennas involved, or does each device have it's own antenna?
Old 12-11-2018, 04:44   #32

Boat: Bavaria 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanglewood View Post
Sorry, I thought you said they were moored, but reading more carefully I see one was "previously" moored.

I guess I'm confused by your configuration, and where you are seeing what.

You have a V50 that has a built-in AIS receiver. Are you correctly seeing targets on the VHF, but not on the Zeus? Or vice versa?

And you say the B200 is not connected to anything yet? I assume you mean it's not connected to the Zeus? But it's own GPS is connected to the B200, along with a VHF antenna? So the B200 is operating, but stand-alone? Do you have any means to see if the B200 is receiving target info?

Any shared antennas involved, or does each device have it's own antenna?
Hi,
It's clear in my head but maybe not explained to well :-) Thanks for trying!

The B200 is currently working standalone with its own both vhf and gps antenna on the rail, can connect opencpn with USB but did not bring my computer on this trip.
However the second instance i checked and i did see the rescue vessel on a simplified AIS-radar page on the triton instrument but not on the Zeus as it passed 0,5 Nm behind me. These both get AIS info from the v50 via n2k. VHF has antenna on masthead. I never checked the display on the VHF. At the same time i see plenty of other vessels up to 15-20 Nm away on the Zeus. I am confident that the ais reception is good but concerned that the Zeus which will be primary when at the helm does not show all targets. I think it's when the target changes navigation status from moored to underway while within reception range. (steamer appeared when i rebooted Zeus...). I know these two vessels are of the few that actively change navstatus in my area. I will analyse this better next time on the boat.
rgds
/j
josky65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2018, 23:23   #33

We have basically the same set up, the only difference is my B&G AIS500 is connected to the N2K network. I have never noticed the issue you're reporting. I'm running version 59.1.72 on my Zues3.

I have noticed a bug on the V50. The longer it is running, the longer it takes for it to put AIS data on the network. For example, when it's been on for a day or two, the data is delayed by a few seconds. When it's been on for a week or more, the data can be delayed by as much as a minuter or two. Turning it off and on resets the delay to zero. I don't know if this is related to what you're seeing or not, but see if the problem goes away after turning the V50 off and back on.
W5PAD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais