Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2014, 06:23   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
TCP/IP NMEA Client Settings for INavX over GoFree?

Has anyone used Simrad GoFree as an NMEA server for INavX? Anyone know the settings?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 06:50   #2

Boat: ex-Tartan 40
Re: TCP/IP NMEA Client Settings for INavX over GoFree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Has anyone used Simrad GoFree as an NMEA server for INavX? Anyone know the settings?
I'm going down to the boat tomorrow to do final configuration of my B&G Zeus setup with the electronics installer. Setting up my iPad is one of the items on the punch list. Are you using the B&G iPad app? One of the things I was trying to decide was whether I would be using both B&G and iNavX when on the boat. I'll ask the installer to configure both and will let you know the settings (if they work).
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 14:08   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tartansail View Post

I'm going down to the boat tomorrow to do final configuration of my B&G Zeus setup with the electronics installer. Setting up my iPad is one of the items on the punch list. Are you using the B&G iPad app? One of the things I was trying to decide was whether I would be using both B&G and iNavX when on the boat. I'll ask the installer to configure both and will let you know the settings (if they work).
The GoFree app dead crashes and doesn't work on my IPad. That's why I'm suddenly so interested in INavX again.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 22-05-2014, 16:16   #4

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord

Apologies if this isn't what you meant, but just in case you've forgotten the dialogue between you and pbfein a couple of months back:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1505984
muttnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2014, 08:36   #5

The tech and I were able to get the Zeus to feed iNavX nmea0183 data via TCP/IP after a few false starts.
On the Zeus: Menu x 2--> network --> nmea0183 make sure serial output is checked --> Ethernet write down host and port

In iNavX: go to Preferences --> tcp/ip nmea client, input host and port
Back to preferences --> instruments--> AIS, set it "enable", make sure the range is adequate to pick up targets to test and Save
Be sure you are on the GoFree wifi network

I'm pulling depth, wind info and AIS into iNavX at the moment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 24-05-2014, 00:10   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttnik View Post
Apologies if this isn't what you meant, but just in case you've forgotten the dialogue between you and pbfein a couple of months back:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1505984
I must be getting senile! Yes! I had forgotten.

Unfortunately it doesn't work -- I get "Connecting (TCP)"

then "Timed Out".

Old 24-05-2014, 00:26   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
The tech and I were able to get the Zeus to feed iNavX nmea0183 data via TCP/IP after a few false starts.
On the Zeus: Menu x 2--> network --> nmea0183 make sure serial output is checked --> Ethernet write down host and port

In iNavX: go to Preferences --> tcp/ip nmea client, input host and port
Back to preferences --> instruments--> AIS, set it "enable", make sure the range is adequate to pick up targets to test and Save
Be sure you are on the GoFree wifi network

I'm pulling depth, wind info and AIS into iNavX at the moment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Extremely useful, thanks!

I notice that "NMEA0193 over TCP/IP" shows a different Port, than the other menu -- in this case, Port 10110. You have a choice between RS422 and RS232, and different baud rates. I'm now playing with these, as I still can't connect.
Old 24-05-2014, 05:35   #8

Quote:
Extremely useful, thanks!

I notice that "NMEA0193 over TCP/IP" shows a different Port, than the other menu -- in this case, Port 10110. You have a choice between RS422 and RS232, and different baud rates. I'm now playing with these, as I still can't connect.
I connected over Port 10110 as well. I didn't see the choice of RS422 or RS232 when we set up. Aren't those pin configurations for a wired serial output? I would assume that the GoFree is on the NMEA 2000 bus. Which menu did that come up in? I had to come back to the house last night. When I go back to the boat later I can check my settings.

We did try different baud rates. Apparently, the 0183 default is 4800, but the AIS likes to transmit at 19,200. However, we were able to get good connection at the lower speed as well. The tech left it there because he thought it would be more stable if it worked.

Old 24-05-2014, 06:39   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I connected over Port 10110 as well. I didn't see the choice of RS422 or RS232 when we set up. Aren't those pin configurations for a wired serial output? I would assume that the GoFree is on the NMEA 2000 bus. Which menu did that come up in? I had to come back to the house last night. When I go back to the boat later I can check my settings.

We did try different baud rates. Apparently, the 0183 default is 4800, but the AIS likes to transmit at 19,200. However, we were able to get good connection at the lower speed as well. The tech left it there because he thought it would be more stable if it worked.
That's all in 0183 menu for me.

But I can't connect at all -- I have a feeling I may have a fault in my GoFree wifi module. I can't connect with any device. When I first installed it, I was able to connect from my Android phone and I got a picture of the Zeus screen. Now the phone won't connect either. I think a note to Navico tech support may be in order .
Old 24-05-2014, 07:01   #10

Quote:
That's all in 0183 menu for me.

But I can't connect at all -- I have a feeling I may have a fault in my GoFree wifi module. I can't connect with any device. When I first installed it, I was able to connect from my Android phone and I got a picture of the Zeus screen. Now the phone won't connect either. I think a note to Navico tech support may be in order .
Bummer. A couple of thoughts, though tech support is probably required:
  1. Do you have the current version of the Zeus software? If not, you may need it.
  2. Do you have Tritons or other B&G MFD's on your network? I seem to recall reading that that can cause issues with GoFree.
Perhaps tech support will have an easy answer for you, but the guy I had at the boat does a lot of these (though he had never tried to connect to iNavX). Even though my instructions above look easy, it took us a good hour of dead ends before we got there. Given the complexity of your network, you may need to get someone onto the boat to troubleshoot.

Old 24-05-2014, 07:14   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Bummer. A couple of thoughts, though tech support is probably required:
  1. Do you have the current version of the Zeus software? If not, you may need it.
  2. Do you have Tritons or other B&G MFD's on your network? I seem to recall reading that that can cause issues with GoFree.
Perhaps tech support will have an easy answer for you, but the guy I had at the boat does a lot of these (though he had never tried to connect to iNavX). Even though my instructions above look easy, it took us a good hour of dead ends before we got there. Given the complexity of your network, you may need to get someone onto the boat to troubleshoot.
I do have the latest software. And in fact, the GoFree stopped working (and other problems appeared) after I updated the software in the two Zeuses (one Touch T8 and one non-Touch Z8) .

I do have a plethora of Tritons -- six of them. But GoFree is incompatible with Navico's own Tritons??? That's crazy. Well, I'll get on tech support about it. Thanks for all your help.
Old 24-05-2014, 07:22   #12

Quote:
I do have the latest software. And in fact, the GoFree stopped working (and other problems appeared) after I updated the software in the two Zeuses (one Touch T8 and one non-Touch Z8) .

I do have a plethora of Tritons -- six of them. But GoFree is incompatible with Navico's own Tritons??? That's crazy. Well, I'll get on tech support about it. Thanks for all your help.
Sorry it didn't work. Let us know what you find. It may help the rest of us avoid issues in the future.