Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2009, 07:00   #1

Boat: 43 ft Selene/Solo
SSB Installation

I am in the process of installing an ssb radio(Icom 802). I have decided to use the thru hulls as a connection to the water. I will use copper strip from the radio and tuner to the thru hulls. My question is does it matter if the thru hulls are covered with bottom paint, or is it the same as the capacitive connection the copper strips make to the water??
Ralph Waldo Emerson
captain465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 07:38   #2
Eternal Member

You only need to connect to one bronze thru-hull...the nearest one to the tuner. This thru-hull should NOT be otherwise connected to the boat's DC ground system.

The paint won't matter much. After all, there's direct water contact INSIDE the thru-hull (unless you painted the inside, which is unlikely), and there's capacitative coupling as well.

Use a wide copper strip from the tuner to the thru-hull. Keep it as short as possible.

This is a workable, but minimalist ground system. It can probably be improved upon by running additional radials and/or tying into other large metal structures, like metal toerails, rubrails, etc. These do NOT have to be in contact with or in close proximity to the water.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 07:55   #3

Boat: 43 ft Selene/Solo
Bill,
You made my day!!! Not having to tie all the thru hulls together with copper strips will make the install much easier. About the thru hull not being connected to the DC ground......all my thru hulls are ground bonded to stays, shrouds, mast and to a stainless steel plate outside the hull, but not connected to any DC wiring. Should I disconnect the thru hull from this "bonding" system??
Thank you again,
Fred
Ralph Waldo Emerson
captain465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 08:12   #4
Eternal Member

Fred,

Yes, it should be disconnected.

If you're worried about electrolytic corrosion, you could install a simple DC-blocking system such as that described in Stan Honey's excellent article on grounding: Grounding

Personally, I wouldn't bother unless you have reason to believe you've got a potentially serious electrolytic corrosion problem.

Good luck.

Let me know how it turns out.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 09:07   #5

I recommend not connecting anything to the ground connection on the transceiver itself and only connect one of the green ground wires located on each end of the tuner control cable. Doing this will prevent problems associated with ground loops. You may need to have an rf ground on the transceiver if you have interference problems associated with the transceiver but this is generally not the case.

Eric
fairbank56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
installation