Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2010, 11:42   #31
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Can I hurt anything by putting too many toroids on "
Yes, you can waste a lot of time and money. Toroids are frequency-specific, so if you don't buy them for the right frequency (to match the interference) they can be a total waste of money. Better to wait for the RFI book, and try some of the other suggestions first.

No matter how much "stuff" is on your boat, you should be able to shut the main DC power to EVERYTHING from one point. And if that leaves an inverter-charger or electronic bilge pump wired directly to the battery, that should just make 2-3 things to shut down in total.

Which in theory leaves the whole boat stone cold dead with nothing generating RFI. If the radio was not connected directly to the battery (I think Icom still suggests it should be directly connected AND fused in both sides of the power leads) then I'd also stop at a Radio Shack and pick up a pair of "pygmy" clips, smallish battery clips, and a 25-50' roll of heavy duty power or zip cord, so that you can at least temporarily jumper the radio directly to the battery. Won't cost most, will ensure that you are listening to the radio and the radio only. (Well, the radio and the tuner, how has that been powered?)

Chasing down RFI often involves a GREAT deal of patience and back-burner thinking overnight. Lsat time I played tag with RFI it turned out to be an FCC-approved computer router which just "couldn't" be the noise source....except, it was. Found it while turning off all the circuits, and saying to myself "but there's nothing on that line except...."

Yours will probably also be that simple, just a matter of patience and observation.

I'd also call Icom tech support from the boat. They usually want people to USE their radios, and if nothing else they can make sure you've got all the knobs and buttons set properly, and go over gross installation issues with you. What most of us hear about once or twice, they've usually done ten times a week for years. Always worth a call.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icom, noise