Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2016, 10:24   #46
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Re: Satellite broadband internet, now and in the near future...

I cannot imagine trying to SSH into a server and perform some automated recovery command in PROD even with TMUX or Viscosity as a layer. It's madness.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:25   #47

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
And that my friend is exactly why he is on this thing. He'll make up deflects to contrary my say, but aha...you've fallen right into his trap.

Now quit getting permission from everyone and just go and find out for yourself about working remote...
And what is wrong with that? I certainly don't have a problem with it, why do you?

And I'm not looking for permission, but rather trying to educate myself and make informed choices. Why do you have to go around pouring cold water on everything and everyone? I'm not here to get dumped on, nor to have smoke blown up my arse. But your comments tend to get way over the top, along with personal attacks. As noted before, you're entitled to your opinion, but to continually ram your negativity down other people's throats gets old fast. You have made some good points, and I respect that, but your other comments tend to drown them out. The signal-to-noise ratio is not good...

-David
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:38   #48
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
The signal-to-noise ratio is not good...

-David
ahhh, but if you knew anything about statistics, the information is in the noise.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:41   #49

Boat: Cranchi Atlantique 48

It can be done, David. If you really want to, you'll figure it out.
I am in software development and worked from a boat for several years just using 3G.
But I'd like to approach this from a slightly different angle than most:
In my opinion, the key to success is to make a few changes to your job, in order to make it more offshore-friendly.
Things like, get away from team work and do more independent projects...
Aim to use collaboration tools that are mainly text-based. Avoid video as far as possible. At least avoid video conferencing.
Get a secretary to handle most communicatons.. Get another team to take calls from that one demanding client...
Get people to send you a mail instead of calling..... etc, etc.
Be willing to take a pay cut, or maybe just a less prestigous role, in order to get into the perfect job setting with less need for continuous interaction.
This kind of thing will matter much more in the long term, than the latest, coolest high speed gadget.
Even small changes in the right direction can go a long way, when every byte counts.
Oh and it will lower stress levels as well.
Best of luck!

Sent from my SM-T805 using Tapatalk
Zven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:51   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
A boat IS a cubicle.
A boat may be a cubicle in your mind but it doesn't meet the definition of a cube. As far as cubicles go, a boat has one heck of a porch with views to die for.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:56   #51

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

A slightly different point about working remotely from a boat -- and pardon for the thread drift if this is not information you are after --

Cruising and managing a boat is quite a significant work load in itself. Repairing and maintaining the boat, doing all the passage planning, navigation, etc. -- it's a lot of work. I find it fairly challenging to work in a concentrated way and still do everything needed to keep the boat running. I am usually fairly well crewed with two to three volunteer crew on board but that doesn't solve this problem completely. It's very typical that we get into some port and the crew get a couple of days to run around and have fun, and I strap myself to the nav table in order to get work done. Even on passage this happens.

One thing which would enormously help would be one professional crewman who is very handy and energetic and capable of doing most of the basic repairs and maintenance, run errands, stand watches, etc. Would be worth his weight in gold and will leave you time to enjoy sailing a bit, and port calls, and get some work done. It's not really in my budget at this point, but I will do this at some point. Will cost a lot less than a Fleet Broadband connection

I realize SM is now going to go crazy and start reading to us from "What Is To Be Done?"
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:57   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
...a boat has one heck of a porch with views to die for.
Can we get a round of applause for this
Old 01-09-2016, 11:01   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zven View Post
It can be done, David. If you really want to, you'll figure it out.
I am in software development and worked from a boat for several years just using 3G.
But I'd like to approach this from a slightly different angle than most:
In my opinion, the key to success is to make a few changes to your job, in order to make it more offshore-friendly.
Things like, get away from team work and do more independent projects...
Aim to use collaboration tools that are mainly text-based. Avoid video as far as possible. At least avoid video conferencing.
Get a secretary to handle most communicatons.. Get another team to take calls from that one demanding client...
Get people to send you a mail instead of calling..... etc, etc.
Be willing to take a pay cut, or maybe just a less prestigous role, in order to get into the perfect job setting with less need for continuous interaction.
This kind of thing will matter much more in the long term, than the latest, coolest high speed gadget.
Even small changes in the right direction can go a long way, when every byte counts.
Oh and it will lower stress levels as well.
Best of luck!

Sent from my SM-T805 using Tapatalk
Funny you should mention these points, as I'm already working towards exactly that. I think the only thing I had not thought about is the secretary, but I can probably get away without one ;-)

-David
Old 01-09-2016, 11:02   #54

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
A boat may be a cubicle in your mind but it doesn't meet the definition of a cube. As far as cubicles go, a boat has one heck of a porch with views to die for.

Indeed!

What could be better than living and working on a boat? When you get tired of one set of million dollar views, you throw off the lines or pull up the anchor, go sailing, and then settle into a completely different set of million dollar views.

Most people on this forum are retired, or are counting the minutes until they can retire. Those of us who don't care about retiring -- who actually love and enjoy our work, and are not sailing to escape our work -- are a fairly small group. And a lucky one, I guess. It's really worth trying hard to make this work.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 01-09-2016, 11:09   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
One thing which would enormously help would be one professional crewman who is very handy and energetic and capable of doing most of the basic repairs and maintenance, run errands, stand watches, etc. Would be worth his weight in gold and will leave you time to enjoy sailing a bit, and port calls, and get some work done. It's not really in my budget at this point, but I will do this at some point. Will cost a lot less than a Fleet Broadband connection
Can't I train my wife to do all that?
Old 01-09-2016, 11:14   #56

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Ha, ha. I don't know your wife

The most important skill is being very, very handy, knowing and understanding all systems on the boat and being able to repair and maintain them. I swear I spend more time with a wrench in my hand, than with a jib sheet.

And I enjoy this too -- but there are only 24 hours in the day, and sometimes you just want to wander around in a new port like the rest of the crew.
Walt Whitman
Old 01-09-2016, 11:17   #57
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
That's where my teenage son came in...it will be a different feeling to head back South without him while he heads off to college and a LOT more work for me! Without his help this summer on the teak deck removal project I could have never pulled it off and he knows it because I told him and thanked him by paying for his college. Hmmm...who got the better deal in that one, and he can cross Harvard off his list!
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 11:19   #58

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
And what is this "tie" thing you mention?!? ;-)

-David

It's a strangulation device!

Follow us on tikitreksailing.com
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 12:51   #59

Boat: 45 Leopard- Had a 42 Leopard- Sunk by Irma

Hi Guys, been a lurker for a while and now am legal! Communications on board is something I've been contemplating as I plan my escape from Terra Firma in 2017. I'll be running a very small business in the Caribbean, mostly while being anchored in different locations, so I believe most of my communication will be via a cell network when signal is available. Do the onboard cell amplifiers work well enough to justify their cost? Some say yes, while others tell me to just get a separate antenna mounted high. When cruising thru different island chains like US and British VI, French and Dutch West Indies, Spice Islands, Grenada, etc, will one phone work and will each chain have different plans that you have to contract?

Also, the personal locators from Spot and DeLorme that allow texting seem like a cheap option for that style of communication. Any thoughts on that technology?

For Wi-Fi, I assume you'd have to be in or very close to a marina that offers it. Is there a way to boost that reception distance?

I hope this is close enough on topic so as not to be hijacking the thread, if not, my apologies David.
Thanks
Jeff
LLizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 12:54   #60

Jeff, the information you're looking for fits right in with my questions too. Welcome to the nuthouse!!

-David

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

Tags
broadband, internet, satellite