Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2015, 08:58   #16

Re: Raymarine st4000+ Low Batt warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA_sailing View Post
Sent mine in back in May and they serviced it without issue.
Did you send it to the NH office. I just spoke to someone there about the same problem and they said they no longer repair the ST4000+. As has been suggested on this thread, they recommended checking all connections and suspected a voltage drop.

I'm a bit skeptical because my unit fails to stay in Auto only while underway, either sailing or motoring. However, I can sit at the dock all afternoon in Auto mode with the wheel drive engaged and press +10-10 etc, again and again and it will always turn the wheel and never drop out of Auto.

Very frustrating problem.
gregjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 17:34   #17
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregjp View Post
I'm a bit skeptical because my unit fails to stay in Auto only while underway, either sailing or motoring. However, I can sit at the dock all afternoon in Auto mode with the wheel drive engaged and press +10-10 etc, again and again and it will always turn the wheel and never drop out of Auto.

Very curious .... that would suggest that maybe vibration causes the issue.
You say 'drop out' .... all previous comments relate to getting the 'battery low' warning. In my case, when it decides to do so, it will give the error message but then, again when it decides to, it goes right back to full auto mode (and the +- keys are active even when the error message is happening)
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 17:41   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd1 View Post
Very curious .... that would suggest that maybe vibration causes the issue.
You say 'drop out' .... all previous comments relate to getting the 'battery low' warning. In my case, when it decides to do so, it will give the error message but then, again when it decides to, it goes right back to full auto mode (and the +- keys are active even when the error message is happening)
Well I was getting this same behavior preceded by the "low battery" warning. Now it's occurring without the warning, but it doesn't return to Auto mode. It goes to Standby and stays there. I've redone the connection from the controller to the wheel motor and it seems to have fixed it (I hope).
Old 10-08-2015, 21:09   #19
Jd1

Quote:
I've redone the connection from the controller to the wheel motor and it seems to have fixed it (I hope).
I would appreciate it if you could post an update once you have confirmed that the fix either works or doesn't work. It would also be great if you could be more specific about the fix - did you redo the connections at the motor end on the plug or did you redo the connections on the st4000+ circuit board?

Excellent work !
Old 10-08-2015, 21:24   #20

Boat: Catalina 30 Tall Rig

Quote:
Did you send it to the NH office. I just spoke to someone there about the same problem and they said they no longer repair the ST4000+. As has been suggested on this thread, they recommended checking all connections and suspected a voltage drop.

I did send it to NH. I had heard similar things about them no longer working on them. So I just sent it in using instructions on their service website for out of warranty repairs. Figured the worse that could happen is they send it back to me. Few days after they got it someone called me to discuss repair and cost. Was about $300-$400.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
NOLA_sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 18:41   #21

New wheel drive and new connection to control head. Now I am getting the same experience as you. Low Batt warning comes on, clears in 5 or 10 seconds and unit continues on in Auto mode. Never seems to affect the actual functioning of the autopilot. Does not drop out of Auto, merely warns, warning goes away, and all continues as normal.
Old 08-10-2015, 20:36   #22

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by boeing1 View Post
do not think Raymarine sitll services the 4000+, If wiring and voltage all check good I think I know where you can get it repaired
Today's lead free solder is pathetic stuff.
Take it to anyone who knows how to solder and have them hit the whole board.
That fixes 95% of today's electronic problems, and it shouldn't cost a bunch either.
Of course, that assumes a good supply of current to the unit in the first place.

(A previous electronics tech with 30 years experience)

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 20:41   #23

Quote:
There are tons of internet postings about this error on these units. There are also lots of people who have sent in the circuit board, received a replacement and all was well. How you can claim that a display head fault is unlikely is absolutely mind boggling to me!

IGGZACTLY !!

Re the works at the dock but underway, I believe it is an internal heat buildup during normal operation causing the aforementioned lousy non lead solder connections parting as they warm up....
I've seen similar things happen with my 4000. Resoldering it was the fix.

Ayn Rand
Old 09-10-2015, 15:33   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
IGGZACTLY !!

Re the works at the dock but underway, I believe it is an internal heat buildup during normal operation causing the aforementioned lousy non lead solder connections parting as they warm up....
I've seen similar things happen with my 4000. Resoldering it was the fix.
Well that certainly sounds like a possibility. I'm going to clean the connectors at the head and panel and possibly beef up the power cables, although running new cables will be a major PITA on my boat. If I don't see an improvement I guess i'll go in search of a good solderer. Still curious about how NOLA Sailing got Raymarine to do the repair, and if that truly fixed it. Their words to me were pretty blunt - "We don't repair them anymore."
Old 09-10-2015, 16:54   #25

Boat: Cal39 MrkIII, 1982

Reiterate my dismay at the poor technical customer support offered by Raymarine. They are not noted for their customer service. Hope you work out the low battery warning on the ST4000.
neophytecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 17:14   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by neophytecruiser View Post
Reiterate my dismay at the poor technical customer support offered by Raymarine. They are not noted for their customer service. Hope you work out the low battery warning on the ST4000.
Thanks, pretty much sums my opinion of Raymarine support too. Not only don't offer a solution, they don't admit that a problem exists in the first place.
Old 09-10-2015, 17:26   #27
Jd1

Quote:
Well that certainly sounds like a possibility. I'm going to clean the connectors at the head and panel and possibly beef up the power cables, although running new cables will be a major PITA on my boat. If I don't see an improvement I guess i'll go in search of a good solderer. Still curious about how NOLA Sailing got Raymarine to do the repair, and if that truly fixed it. Their words to me were pretty blunt - "We don't repair them anymore."
I installed lithium batteries a while back giving me higher operating voltages and there was no change (that I could see) in the frequency of the low voltage error messages. Neither did fiddling with the connectors. Re-soldering sounds worthwhile to try though.
Old 09-10-2015, 18:01   #28

Quote:
I installed lithium batteries a while back giving me higher operating voltages and there was no change (that I could see) in the frequency of the low voltage error messages. Neither did fiddling with the connectors. Re-soldering sounds worthwhile to try though.
Yeah, I've fiddled with the connectors too. I guess I'm just avoiding the inevitable. I know someone who's pretty good with a soldering iron. Guess I'll have to give him a call.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:57   #29

The guts are easy to access, 4 screws and you're in.
No biggie to solder for anyone with a modicum of experience.

Ayn Rand
Old 15-10-2015, 23:37   #30
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:

When you sit at the dock, are you connected to shore power with the battery charger on? (This will be supplying 14Vdc + to the battery terminals.) Try the same issue at the dock with the battery charger off (and 12.8 Vdc or less at the battery terminals). Bet you have the same problem.

Again, the most likely problem is either low voltage at the batteries, or voltage drop between the batteries and electronics.

Ramblin Rod
Certified Raymarine Installer / Service Provider
www.sheenmarine.com
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, raymarine