Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2012, 15:39   #1

Boat: Catalina 36 - 1987
Racor Filter Vacuum Gauge

Need some advice.
Had a Racor filter vacuum gauge on a previous boat and it was very handy for monitoring the condition of the primary Racor fuel filter.
Now have another boat recently repowered with a POS Universal M25XPB. This is a terrible marine application for this engine. Anyway, the original Racor R24S (2 micron) filter is still in the system ahead of the Universal's coarse 80 micron pre-filter and what I believe to be its standard 10 micron engine-mounted filter.
I have concerns about inserting a "T" in the fuel line on the output side of the 2 micron Racor filter, with about 18 inches of fuel line off the "T" to the vacuum gauge. I don't mind bleeding the fuel system after a filter change, but worry that any air trapped in the 18" line to the gauge might occasionally burp its way into the fuel line, killing the engine. I nearly always singlehand and won't have crew to crank the engine while I'm below bleeding the system.
Would sure appreciate hearing from anyone who has been down this road before and if they had any trouble with the engine cutting out afterwards.
Thanks in advance
Jack
Attached Images

JackHeaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2012, 16:10   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Racor Filter Vacuum Gauge

A remote starter switch might help with single-handed bleeding, and other routines.
http://www.princessauto.com/pal/prod...Starter-Switch

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2012, 16:14   #3

Boat: Westsail 28

Hey Jack, I read your post with great interest. A vac. gauge would be a cool thing to have, especially if you are in a place that would sell suspect fuel. As for air trapped in
the line,? I assume the gauge would be mounted above any other fuel circuit , so once you bleed it I think you would be good. Or at least as good as the rest of the fuel circuit. Here are some things I have in my engine room. A remote starter button in the engine room, a electric fuel pump/ with remote on/off switch. These are low$
things that are handy, because really who wants to help us bleed a fuel system?
Now I gotta go get a Vac. gauge.
markwesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2012, 16:43   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

If it really worries you that much you could always hang the gauge upside down. But that amount of air would only cause a burp in the motor. And why 18" of line. Just put it next to the filter since you should be checking it for water anyway. If it has to be higher then the filter you could always put in a small valve so the fuel cannot drain out of the line.

http://ryvingen.webtest.autohosting2...-on-series.pdf

Racor Vacuum Gauges

Attached Images

Old 18-03-2012, 16:56   #5

Boat: Far East Mariner 40

Don't worry about it at all. Install the gauge, run the engine for a few minutes and forget about it. Seems I'm always breaking into my fuel system for one reason or another and I've never had a problem. Use common sense and if your replacing a fuel line, of course, bleed the air out before starting the engine. For little things, not a problem.
Old 18-03-2012, 17:38   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackHeaston View Post
.... I nearly always singlehand and won't have crew to crank the engine while I'm below bleeding the system.....
My Yanmar 3GM has a manual lift pump for bleeding the fuel system. Last time I changed the filters, I didn't need to "crank the engine" to bleed. A few manual strokes, I was able to bleed both at the primary and secondary filters. Engine started right up afterwards. I was pleased how easy it was to change filters and bleed the fuel system
Don
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2012, 18:24   #7
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Don View Post
My Yanmar 3GM has a manual lift pump for bleeding the fuel system. Last time I changed the filters, I didn't need to "crank the engine" to bleed. A few manual strokes, I was able to bleed both at the primary and secondary filters. Engine started right up afterwards. I was pleased how easy it was to change filters and bleed the fuel system
Don
The new self-bleeding Yanmars are even easier. Gun the throttle when you start it up, and you'll get one cough, one sputter, and then it will run smooth. No need to play with the lift pump, although you can do it that way as well.
Old 18-03-2012, 18:51   #8

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

The small pump (bottom right) on the fuel polishing system is able to prime the engine. I open up the valve I'm pointing to and close the other which controls the direct fuel line to the engine, and open another valve (not shown) providing the fuel to be pumped.

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
racor