Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2017, 12:14   #1

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 40
Problems with my Raymarine DSM300 sonar

Hello,

I am experiencing problems with both the DSM300 and the DST800 triducer which give me depth information on my boat. I describe the problems and my attempts to correct them here:

Problems with Raymarine DSM300 - Vela Navega Forum

I would be extremely grateful if someone has the trouble and the patience to read my findings and to give me any tip!

Regards, Luis
Vladis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2017, 12:42   #2

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'
Re: Problems with my Raymarine DSM300 sonar

Firstly, any decent marine electronics will take 9V-30V as an input range without a problem. A netgear router will not. One of the big differences between Raymarine's Seatalk HS switch and a normal Ethernet switch is the the Raymarine unit has a well designed input power filter and conditioner that takes the 9V-30V and produces a clean 12V without dips and spikes.

Secondly, I would take a look at the gauge of power cable you're using between the batteries and the DSM300 & switch. The full length of a DC circuit is from the batteries to the device AND back again (I.e. 2x the distance).

It certainly sounds like you have a power issue, and the voltage drop in the line at high amp draw suggests two areas to investigate:

Batteries. Even though they may read 12.7V at rest doesn't mean to say they have much AmpHr capacity left in them. Have you checked thr voltage at the batteries when the fridge is turned on? The voltage at the battery terminals really shouldn't plummet when thr fridge is turned on, if you have adequate capacity and the batteries are good.

If not the battery, look at the supply cable size. I would get a length of larger gauge wire (than what you're using) and temporarily run (over the cabin sole) from the batteries, through a fuse, and to the DSM300 and router directly. A larger gauge wire will carry more current for a given voltage, so at least you would eliminate the possibility that you have a dangerously undersized wire supplying the DSM300...
Old 25-12-2017, 13:14   #3

Re: Problems with my Raymarine DSM300 sonar

The dsm's are very problematic. Mostly a voltage issue I think. But even in power boats with engines running had problems.

Work on getting your voltages higher at the panel and dsm input. And n2k bus input. Maybe try a higher rated Dc-dc supply if you think the 10a One isn't big enough.

Make sure the software is newest on the mfd and dsm
smac999 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, raymarine