Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2017, 12:23   #1

Boat: Fraser 41
Problem solving between Icom 710 and tuner

This forum has been such a big help with my SSB questions so I’m hoping l can pick the brains of those that are knowledgeable once again with my new dilemma.

My current setup is an Icom m710 radio, SG230 tuner, Kiss counterpoise, and GTO15 to the backstay insulator.

The problem I’m having is the radio head shows an “error” message on the head unit (when I key the mike and speak) at lower frequencies less than 8mhz. In the 6mhz range I get an error message when on power setting 3 (150w) and 2, but not on 1. In 4mhz I get the “Error” message with all power settings.

We connected the radio transceiver to a Dummy Load Box and didn’t get an error message for any frequency or power settings so hopefully it’s not my actual radio?

Does anybody have any idea what might be going on? Myself and two other cruisers have hit a point where we don’t know how to isolate the problem any further and are seeking advice.

Unfortunetly Icom is of no help and the technician at SGC has yet to call me back, so here I am! Thanks to anyone willing to lend a hand!
tdalke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:44   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Problem solving between Icom 710 and tuner

If you can't tune the lower frequencies, my bet would be that your GTO connection to the backstay (hopefully ABOVE the insulator), has gotten corroded. Your tuner is trying to tune just the GTO portion of the antenna, and it ain't happy at the lower frequencies, which require longer antennas.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 13:11   #3

Boat: Fraser 41

Thanks for reply! Unfortunetly the Gto15 is brand new, so it could be my connection, I’ll check.
tdalke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:24   #4

Boat: A Thistle and a Hallberg-Rassy 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdalke View Post
Thanks for reply! Unfortunetly the Gto15 is brand new, so it could be my connection, I’ll check.

Can you lengthen your backstay? JK, but it sounds like the antenna impedance is too low at lower frequencies for your tuner. Whether that is because the antenna is too short or there is a problem with the tuner or connections, more info is needed.
SoonerSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:45   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

What no one has outright said, is that it appears this error message means "The antenna SWR is excessive, it ain't being matched (tuned) correctly."

So the #1 thing to troubleshoot is the antenna connection & antenna, followed by checking the "tuner" to make sure that is operating. You'd need a second person to literally listen carefully at the tuner, so see if it shows any signs of life (clicking, etc.) on those bands.

Odds are that it is properly tuning the other bands, that it is working, and the problem comes back to the antenna/connection. You mention the GTO15 is new. If it was installed too close to some part of the rigging, or was grounding to it, that could also be the kind of subtle installation problem that could take it out of the tuner's range.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icom