Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2014, 05:13   #1

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)
Navionics for Android charts for Australia out of date

I have just been doing some checking on how up to date Navionics keeps its charts and have found mine to be well out of date. I checked some recent Notices to Mariners and found they had not been applied, so started checking earlier ones. I have not found any from the last 2 years to have been applied.

2 years out of date!!!

So I tried downloading the area again only to get the message "You already have the maximum amount of detail available for the area". So I did a fresh installation on a new device and downloaded charts again .... still out of date.

Perhaps it's just the particicular package I bought "Asia and Africa HD". When I purchased these in 2012, Australia was included as well. Now it isn't, and if you want Australia you need to buy a different package.

Can someone who has the Australian charts please check to see if they have been updated. An easy to check example is from December 2012 at Three Hut Point in Tasmania:

(Lookup Current)

The fixed light on shore has been replaced by a flashing light nearby.

I suggest anyone with these Navionics charts should check if updates have been applied. The Navionics stand at the boat show said they were right up to date, and these corrections would be automatically applied as an update to the app.

I have posted a support question to Navionics but that was almost 3 weeks ago and still no response other than giving a reference number.
Old 27-06-2014, 18:34   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Navionics for Android charts for Australia out of date

I have AUS/NZ HD and Asia/Africa HD but always use the Asia/Africa HD app. (If you have more than one app, you can use all of the available charts in either one).

In fact I haven't bothered with updating the Aus/NZ app itself, but I keep the Asia/Africa one updated

Mine show the FL BU 5S in accordance with that Notice and no other light at the jetty, so it appears to be up to date.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2014, 20:02   #3

Boat: Beneteau 423

I bought the US and Canada two years ago and can't get the charts to update. I am using an iPad 1 so could be an issue in my case with the old version. I have tried contacting Navionics via the App Store with no response. We keep our chart plotter updated annually so for us that is the most important. At some point I will call and get the answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2014, 05:26   #4

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)

Thanks StuM and hlev00. Both your comments helped me work out what was wrong.

It appears that the Navionics app does not update the charts, despite what Navionics had told me and what we would reasonably expect. Is this a feature or a fault? Great support from Navionics - over 3 weeks and no response to my support question.

I resolved it by uninstalling the app, deleting the Navionics folder (files are still left there after uninstall) and then reinstalling and redownloading all the charts. On slow and expensive mobile broadband this is quite frustrating.
Old 30-06-2014, 07:36   #5

Boat: Beneteau 423

Thanks Wunderlust! Good thought on deleting and reinstalling. It is a shame that this is what it takes, but at least there is a work around.
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, charts, navionics