Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2014, 17:15   #1

Boat: 223 Starwind
Masthead VHF Antenna on a Trailer Boat

We have a trailer cruiser I want to install a fixed VHF radio in with an antenna on top of the mast. I thought it would be simple, find a bulkhead connector for the antenna wire, mount it on the deck. Then screw the antenna wire in when the mast is stepped, unscrew it when the mast comes down, just like the lights.

After many Internet searches and talking to several suppliers, I have found nothing. The best I have come up with is to run the cable through a watertight fitting to the deck and put a connector on it similar to what screws into the radio. Then, use a barrel connector to the lead going up the mast, which would have a similar connector. This leaves a connector on the end of an antenna wire flopping around on the deck. There must be a better way, and I'm sure I'm not the first to want to do this.

Anyone solve this? Know where to get such a bulkhead connector?
austinsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2014, 19:09   #2

Boat: 1972 Aquarius 23'
Re: Masthead Vhf antenna on a trailer boat

Even tho any break in communication wires for antennas is almost trouble. Do you think you could find something like this and be sure to cover it up when the mast is down and use plenty of conductive grease to aid in water proofing in the connector.

http://www.aesham.com/connectors/adapters/aim-cpad-207/

Or a chassis mount pl 239 connector just solder the cable on the inside.

http://www.aesham.com/connectors/ada...mphenol-83-1r/

Instead of putting your antenna on the mast why not along the rail? For it being a trailer sailor how much range are you looking for to get out of the radio?
Wonderinlost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2014, 20:17   #3

If you don't like the female connector on a short length of cable, Wonderinlost has given you the most common other method. I would go just a step farther and ask that you consider N type connectors in the same configurations as the SO239's linked to in Wonderinlost's post. My reasoning is that N type connectors are just built from better materials in general. N connectors aren't waterproof or even weatherproof and will have to be weatherproofed. If you're stepping the mast regularly, electrical tape will do fine for a couple of months max. You can safely put several connectors, or combinations of, in your line with no perceivable impact on performance. How long are your cable runs and what kind of cable are you going to use?
El Rubio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2014, 08:04   #4

Boat: Newport 28

Glomex RA105 Coax Deck Fitting Kit

Was what I used on mine.
CharlzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2014, 14:24   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlzO View Post
Glomex RA105 Coax Deck Fitting Kit

Was what I used on mine.
Thanks. That looks like what I had in mind. I'm not sure why I couldn't find it, or the suppliers I talked to had no clue, but that should do it.

As to how much range do I want, why, as much as possible, of course.

Thanks again.
Old 19-07-2014, 07:40   #6

Re: Masthead VHF Antenna on a Trailer Boat

I got the connector from Defender, and called Moran antennas. People here and on other forums rate them as the best. At their suggestion I got their 156 Deluxe model, their mount and the cable they suggest as best. They seemed to think it was a normal way of doing it, not unusual at all. I think it's going to work out just fine. If you have antenna questions, call them and ask for Ken. He knows this stuff inside and out. Be prepared to hear far more detail than you might need, though.

As to range, we have several handhelds, and found along the Texas coast we would get far enough from stations that we couldn't even get weather channels. That alone was enough to get me to find a better set up.

Tags
antenna, head, mast, vhf