Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2009, 04:55   #1
fvn

Boat: Manta 42
Mac on Board

Anyone using Pactor with Mac?
or anyone using this Iridium & Inmarsat Satellite Phones with Backup & Support | MailASail with a mac?
I know... it will start again the common debat PC versus MAC always somenthing to learn.
Thanks
fvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2009, 05:33   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
try macsailing.net - its got a lot of mac sailing people.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2009, 19:31   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I recommend using XGate for Mac OS X

Global Marine Networks ~ Satellite Communications & Data Solutions
GPSNavX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2009, 09:40   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to gosstyla
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPSNavX View Post
I second that recommendation. I've been using it 100% of the time for the last 3 or 4 years whether on or off the boat.
gosstyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 21:06   #5

Boat: 122 year old Historical Sailing vessel
Hay we had crashes and freezes all the time with a windows box until we got a Mac Mini and now run Windblows XP native on the Mac. Not a single problem in several years now.
H/V Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2009, 03:40   #6
fvn

mac mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by H/V Vega View Post
Hay we had crashes and freezes all the time with a windows box until we got a Mac Mini and now run Windblows XP native on the Mac. Not a single problem in several years now.
Thank you for the reply
Do you have an idea about power consuption of a mac mini+keybord,mouse and monitor versus a mackbook laptop?
thanks Flavio
Old 28-08-2009, 03:53   #7

pirate Mac on Board

Can't be much I think the monitor draws more than the computer. I have it on a very small dedicated 150 watt inverter I found in an automotive shop and that never gets even warm. For mouse and key board I use the blue tooth ones so no cables cluttering up the chart table. Sure I have to keep a stock of AA batteries but have a charger now and two sets of rechargables so that is not really a problem. There is not even the slightest doubt in my mind that Mac is the better computer and by a very long straw at that. The fact is it uses a much higher operating system than windows so you can run Windblows in Mac as native but Windows simply is not capable of running OS-X
Old 28-08-2009, 03:59   #8
fvn

Quote:
Originally Posted by H/V Vega View Post
Can't be much I think the monitor draws more than the computer. I have it on a very small dedicated 150 watt inverter I found in an automotive shop and that never gets even warm. For mouse and key board I use the blue tooth ones so no cables cluttering up the chart table. Sure I have to keep a stock of AA batteries but have a charger now and two sets of rechargables so that is not really a problem. There is not even the slightest doubt in my mind that Mac is the better computer and by a very long straw at that. The fact is it uses a much higher operating system than windows so you can run Windblows in Mac as native but Windows simply is not capable of running OS-X
Thanks, I am pretty sure I am going to make the move soon. And yesterday's crash of Windows 7 RC (after 5 months of smooth running)make me take final decision.
Old 28-08-2009, 04:27   #9

Bye the way the Mac Mini was much cheaper than the Mac LapTops even with a good monitor (don't get an Apple monitor, blue tooth keyboard or mouse they are way too expensive get those and your RAM at a discount house rather than Apple you can save a bomb)
Old 28-08-2009, 04:34   #10

Hi Caribe Sailor. OK what we have here is a bog standard MiniMac with no frills at all that runs the nav programs just fine by installing Windoze XP on a separate partition, I have no problems with com ports or any of that other headache I use to have with the Windblows box. I got the monitor at a discount house along with a bit of RAM and the blue tooth mouse and keyboard. Can't have more than about $500 pre Bush dollars in the whole thing. OK today maybe it will be more because the dollar has crashed but then again the retailers are crying so you may get some real deals.