Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2016, 18:01   #1

Boat: Simonis 50
LCJ Capteurs ultrasonic wind sensor

Has anybody used the CV7 ultra sonic wind sensor from LCJ Capteurs: CV7 - LCJ Capteurs

I am tired of buying a new mechanical wind sensor every couple of years!
svrevelations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 16:15   #2

Boat: Kadey Krogen 39
Re: LCJ Capteurs ultrasonic wind sensor

I had considered one during my recent electronics upgrade, but the connectivity issues dissuaded me.
I ended up using a Maretron WSO100. It has perform flawlessly. I highly recommend it.
muttskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 10:54   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttskie View Post
I had considered one during my recent electronics upgrade, but the connectivity issues dissuaded me.
I ended up using a Maretron WSO100. It has perform flawlessly. I highly recommend it.
Would you kindly elaborate on the connectivity issues?
Old 21-06-2016, 15:42   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelations View Post
Would you kindly elaborate on the connectivity issues?
My recollection is that the LCJ unit required a proprietary CanBus interface to connect to a NMEA 2000 network, which I have throughout my boat. The NMEA2000 network interfaces the various sensors throughout the vessel. Wind, air temperature, air pressure, depth, water temperature, vessel speed through the water, etc., data are all sent via the NMEA2000 network to the various instruments and displays aboard.

The LCJ unit did not, at the time, have NMEA2000 connectivity. It required an undesirable and expensive interface to connect it's CanBus system to a NMEA2000 network.

The Maretron WSO100 is NMEA2000 certified, and a known high quality wind/pressure/temperature sensor. It's only downside, in my opinion, is it's lack of a standard mast-top mounting system. One has to fabricate their own mount. An annoying, though not insurmountable, requirement.

I hope this helps.
Old 21-06-2016, 16:29   #5

Quote:
My recollection is that the LCJ unit required a proprietary CanBus interface to connect to a NMEA 2000 network, which I have throughout my boat. The NMEA2000 network interfaces the various sensors throughout the vessel. Wind, air temperature, air pressure, depth, water temperature, vessel speed through the water, etc., data are all sent via the NMEA2000 network to the various instruments and displays aboard.

The LCJ unit did not, at the time, have NMEA2000 connectivity. It required an undesirable and expensive interface to connect it's CanBus system to a NMEA2000 network.

The Maretron WSO100 is NMEA2000 certified, and a known high quality wind/pressure/temperature sensor. It's only downside, in my opinion, is it's lack of a standard mast-top mounting system. One has to fabricate their own mount. An annoying, though not insurmountable, requirement.

I hope this helps.
Indeed - thank you!
Old 21-06-2016, 18:03   #6

Boat: Sabre 38

Quote:
It's only downside, in my opinion, is it's lack of a standard mast-top mounting system. One has to fabricate their own mount. An annoying, though not insurmountable, requirement.

Have any pics of your mount? I have been contemplating this for a while with the same unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 10:55   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingeggs View Post
Have any pics of your mount? I have been contemplating this for a while with the same unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I had my mount made by a metal fabricating shop. It's thick wall aluminum tube, bent and welded to a base plate ( for conventional mounting to the top mast plate ). The other end is threaded to accept the WSO100 female thread mount base. Then powder coated.

Expensive, though.

I also needed to cut a small slot in the lower portion of the tube in the upper end of the straight portion, and slightly into the bend, to facilitate the routing of the NMEA2000 cable, which made the connection to the WSO100 easy. The cable comes through the mast top plate and up through the tube, to the sensor.

Hard to see in the boat pic, but gives you an idea of the result.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pristine looking mighty fine.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	199.1 KB
ID:	126729

Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=photo.jpg Views: 210 Size: 87.4 KB ID: 126728" style="margin: 2px" />
Old 22-06-2016, 15:35   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

If you use the search facility, you'll see other mounts for the WSO100, including mine.

Mine is just a Glomex stainless antenna mount socket bolted to the masthead truck, with a long threaded alu pipe in it, and the N2K cable threaded through it.

It works great. I've used it now for more than 3 years and more than 10,000 miles and it has been flawless.

HOWEVER -- the LCJ Capteurs sensors are much smaller and lighter -- very important on the masthead -- and are designed as sailing instruments (the WSO100 is a weather instrument). I like the looks of them very much. I don't think there is any connection problem anymore, since they introduced the plug-and-play N2K adapter: WINDYPLUG - LCJ Capteurs

I haven't actually used one, but the LCJ Capteurs sensor looks to me to be superior to the WSO100 in several ways. I would take a harder look.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 16:26   #9

Boat: Angus Primrose One design 45ft And Duncanson 34 Mk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
If you use the search facility, you'll see other mounts for the WSO100, including mine.

Mine is just a Glomex stainless antenna mount socket bolted to the masthead truck, with a long threaded alu pipe in it, and the N2K cable threaded through it.

It works great. I've used it now for more than 3 years and more than 10,000 miles and it has been flawless.

HOWEVER -- the LCJ Capteurs sensors are much smaller and lighter -- very important on the masthead -- and are designed as sailing instruments (the WSO100 is a weather instrument). I like the looks of them very much. I don't think there is any connection problem anymore, since they introduced the plug-and-play N2K adapter: WINDYPLUG - LCJ Capteurs

I haven't actually used one, but the LCJ Capteurs sensor looks to me to be superior to the WSO100 in several ways. I would take a harder look.
I have installed one last year.. I only have it connected to the autopilot so it holds a wind angle. Apparantly i can hook it to other stuff thats compatible and get wind readouts etc. Im yet to do this. But it works so far so good. I did think my garmin head unit for my AP would display the info but it wont.
I have not connected it to my chartplotter.
Best thing is no wurly cups to fall off the masthead.
nauticalnomad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind