Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2008, 10:19   #1

Boat: Bayfield 36
Joining metal toerails for a groundplane.

Well it has been a while since l have posted but have come to believe in Bill Trafors doctrines.
Regarding the installation of a SSB / Ham groundplane l am a believer in the connection of all metal surfaces on deck that are accessable.
I know others swear by the installation of copper plates and foil afixed to the hull below the waterline and l do not wish to dispute their success.
All l know is that after my installation of my ham radio and remote antenna tuner (long wire from the mast head hauled up on a block and bungeed to my aft davit frames) l connected my aluminium toe rail to the tuner to serve as a ground plane l have had successful and regular contacts with deep south operators (l'm in Toronto Canada) confirm this setup is indeed functional!
My question stems from a recent realization that l have only been utilizing about 18 ft of toe rail and that l must use "jumper wires" to bridge gaps in my ground plane.
l must join the port aft toerail section to the forward and starboard sections. I am considering drilling and tapping the sections and use copper wire and connectors to bridge the sections. Prior to commencing l wish to affirm this method. Comment and criticism welcomed.
Dave
wind rose ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2008, 04:07   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I aggree, you cant beat Bills advice.
Drilling and tapping for bolts is a good idea.
However, copper and aluminim [toe rail] dont mix wll. Id be tempted to use a s/s jumper bar.
Good luck.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2008, 05:13   #3

Sounds better that the copper but how about an aluminium jumper bar?
Dave
Old 31-08-2008, 06:36   #4
Eternal Member

Dave:

Either would work well. Important thing is to be sure that you get thru the annodizing on the toe rails. The bolt countersinks should do it, and it might even be worthwhile to grind off a bit of annodizing where the bar is to make contact.

Also, Dave, you might want to check out my post on the SSCA website re: a low-cost solution multiband operation: SSCA Discussion Board :: View topic - A Low-Cost Solution for Multi-Band Antenna Operation

Let us know how it works out.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2008, 09:31   #5

Thanks Bill, you had mentioned the annodizing previously and l discovered it myself when l was unable to get continuity with the vom meter when l checked my connection to a mounting bolt l had grounded to.
I had continuity to the bolt obviously but was puzzled as to why l had none to the toerail...ended up countersinking bolt to remove annodizing, once continuity was established l covered topside of bolt with caulking to make it watertite.
My plan is to use the "jumper" (aluminium straps) by drilling and tapping to establish good connections and caulk over so as to prevent any internal corrossion of the threads.
This will then incorporate all my "deck metal" into the counterpoise. Transmissions l would hope should reach out a bit more.
Dave
Old 31-08-2008, 11:08   #6

Use Lanocote or anhydrous lanolin on the ss scews. I would use an alum tie strap.
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote