Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2020, 20:19   #1

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40.3
Is This an Antenna Connector?

I was trying to replace the Sony car stereo in the salon with a newer unit. (I was unsuccessful as I did not have a stubby screwdriver to remove some screws that have limited access.). While I was doing that, I found the attached and I’m not sure what it is. It looks like an aftermarket installation by the PO. Unfortunately the other end of the wire goes behind the panel I was unable to remove and I don’t know Igor where it is connected.

The connector is metal(not sure what kind as it appears to be a light tan, most likely a coating) with along two-conductor 22 ga. (approximately as it marked) wire attached to a small tube on the back offset from center. Also attached at the same point is a shorter single-conductor wire about the same gauges do about 1/8 of the free end of this wire is stripped. The connector itself is about an inch long and round. At the end it looks a lot like a coaxial cable with a single stiff wire surrounded by plastic. The plastic ends at the end of the connector while the central wire extends beyond the end about 1/16 of an inch. See the attached photos.

I’d like to identify this so I have a plan to deal with it when I get that panel off. Thanks. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1640.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	211072Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1639.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	211073Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1638.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	211074

Tom
Tom_F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2020, 20:48   #2

Re: Is This an Antenna Connector?

Looks just like the antenna connector on most but not all car stereos I’ve worked on.... the female part tends to go to the stereo, the male part tends to go to the antenna

Yet, antenna connectors tend to be a single co-ax cable, not 2 single wires and the small bit of wire coming out of the center looks wrong. Could be an antenna connector pressed into service for something else? You’ll probably need to trace where it goes
mickt243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2020, 20:51   #3

Boat: Outremer 50S

Yep, looks like a car/auto antenna connector but with the center pin broken off. Can't remember whether that's the ISO or the DIN connector, but either way very standard.

Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2020, 21:10   #4

I didn't recognize it at first as a radio ant is a male connector. but yes a broken one makes sense now.

so does the 2 wires. often it's a "Y"
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2020, 03:26   #5

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_F View Post
I was trying to replace the Sony car stereo in the salon with a newer unit. (I was unsuccessful as I did not have a stubby screwdriver to remove some screws that have limited access.).
In case it might help...

Many of the car stereo mounts use a cage system; cage stays mounted, and the actual radio slides in and out of that. There are locking mechanisms on the side that "unlock" the radio from the cage using a flat "key" thing that's usually supplied with new car stereos.

-Chris
Old 23-03-2020, 04:56   #6

Thanks for the help everyone. Agree I need to trace it as soon as I can get the panel off but you all confirmed this is nothing to lose sleep over. Thanks again.

Tom
Old 23-03-2020, 04:58   #7

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
In case it might help...

Many of the car stereo mounts use a cage system; cage stays mounted, and the actual radio slides in and out of that. There are locking mechanisms on the side that "unlock" the radio from the cage using a flat "key" thing that's usually supplied with new car stereos.

-Chris
I would look for the spoons for the radio too.

The antenna connector looks like a MacGyver solution by someone who did not want to wait for the correct adapter part. My guess is that the boat was wired for something 'European' to start with. Does the boat have any extra stuff like a power antenna or satellite or a USB to FM converter?

This might be a good question for a owners' group too, for the 'been there done that' advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aiwa_spoon.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	211084   Click image for larger version

Name:	dhate_dualfakra.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	211085  

Old 23-03-2020, 09:18   #8

Spot,

I have the spoons. There is no power antenna and I have not seen any usb to FM converter. It does have Sirius satellite radio, but that is still connected and working. The antenna connector you showed is what I am used to, but it did not occur to me what I have is the same but with a broken post. I also found old documentation that there was a JVC stereo before the current Sony, and now I suspect this was for the original stereo and just left in place when the first upgrade was completed.

Tom
Old 23-03-2020, 12:01   #9

It is a Motorola connector used to connect the AM/FM antenna to the car radio. The dimensions are similar to an RCA plug although the center pin on an RCA plug is a bit shorter. The RCA plug will fit inside the female side of the Motorola connector which is normally towards the radio if not mounted on the chassis itself.

kevin
kc6pob
kc6pob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2020, 12:08   #10

Boat: Catalina 270, 27 ft

This is a radio installers trick to get some sort of an antenna on a radio where no other option is available. Two wires are used instead of coax and usually run along behind trim pieces. I have one also from the previous owner and works marginally. If it is left over from the previous stereo and the pin is broken then the whole arrangement is just scrap. You may remove it at your leisure.
Bawlmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2020, 12:57   #11

Seems to be a Motorola (or white label Moto) coaxial connector for consumer products. I have seen them use it on FM and VHF equipment. Other contracts have used it on remote CD changers and antenna splitters.
F451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2020, 07:16   #12

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the help.

Tags
antenna