Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2014, 07:49   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450
Iridium Email Services?

We recently purchased an Iridium sat phone for emergency response services in addition to obtaining weather forecast services via email. There are a nr of email services out there however I'd like some feedback from CF users as to services they use and would recommend i.e. reliable, fast, etc.

Steve
S/V Emerald Sea
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 15:54   #2

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40
Re: Iridium Email Services?

xgate worked extremely well for me. I also have heard good things about ocens. google will get you to them
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 16:33   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sck5 View Post
xgate worked extremely well for me. I also have heard good things about ocens. google will get you to them
Xgate and OCENS use the same software -- the Xgate system is re-sold by OCENS. Both do a good job and provide good service. I use Xgate. OCENS may have additional features, you should look at both.

There are other providers as well. Sailmail can be used with satphones, and you might want to look at UUplus or SkyFile.

Here's a good discussion of the options: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ium-47617.html
You have to wade through some geek-speak, but it's worth it.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 16:39   #4

That's the discussion I was looking for. Thanks Paul.
Old 12-05-2014, 16:41   #5

I've been reading about the many cruisers, and others, who've had their Iridium services cut or more specifically their SIM card canceled and told to replace. And in almost all cases without any warning or advance notification. So much for the use of a Iridium for the sole purpose of emergency communications. This will take us back to the debate of SSB vs Sat Phone!
Old 12-05-2014, 16:52   #6
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Sea View Post
I've been reading about the many cruisers, and others, who've had their Iridium services cut or more specifically their SIM card canceled and told to replace. And in almost all cases without any warning or advance notification. So much for the use of a Iridium for the sole purpose of emergency communications. This will take us back to the debate of SSB vs Sat Phone!

Other then rebel heart , I have never seen any other account of arbitrarily iridium disconnects. In fact several posters have mentioned continuous service for years.

Personally I have a credit account as I don't like limited minute plans. I deal with a serious marine comms company, anytime I tell them I'm crossing oceans or significant time aboard, they check to ensure enerything is A1. In fact I asked them if I ran over my credit terms at sea what would happen .. Their answer " nothing sir" we would never disable your account while you're at sea ". This is why 10 years now I'm with the same company.

Iridium is never a sole method of emergency communications. It should be backed up by an Epirb.

You will notice that in rebel hearts case the rescue was effected by a combination of satphone and Epirb. There SSB system was of no use.

Please get your facts straight.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-05-2014, 17:16   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I deal with a serious marine comms company, anytime I tell them I'm crossing oceans or significant time aboard, they check to ensure enerything is A1.
Would you mind sharing what company you use please?

FWIW I use sailmail over Iridium and in numerous tests have found it to be as fast as, if not faster, than XGate. XGate is great if you don't use Sailmail but if you already have Sailmail just use it over Iridium when you need to and save the cost of another service. Just buy Iridium airtime.
Littlechay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 17:46   #8
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Iridium Email Services?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlechay View Post
Would you mind sharing what company you use please?

FWIW I use sailmail over Iridium and in numerous tests have found it to be as fast as, if not faster, than XGate. XGate is great if you don't use Sailmail but if you already have Sailmail just use it over Iridium when you need to and save the cost of another service. Just buy Iridium airtime.

Marconi Selex ( in the UK ) now called Selex ES I beleive. 100 year old company

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-05-2014, 18:43   #9

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Sea View Post
I have never heard of service getting cut until RH. Our Iridium worked to perfection for 2 years for weather and communication with family. Additionally, we had two EPIRBs on board, one new and one newly past it's expiration.

We were very pleased with XGATE.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 19:00   #10

I'm on a tight budget and went with the SPOT sat phone - was not focused on sailing when I did but in any case I advise against it.
4music3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 03:45   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot, He'lia 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon

Have you seen the new Iridium Go about to be launched.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 05:32   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Have you seen the new Iridium Go about to be launched.
Looks very interesting hey.. if it works it will be interesting. I can't afford be an early adopter though just in case it's suffers some kind of infant mortality. I was looking at some of the plans on offer and the cheaper ones were very restrictive in terms of minutes of data offered, the cheapest offered 5 minutes of data, only! On the other hand 137 USD pcm for unlimited data seems quite good. I suspect that is the plan that marketing strategies are aiming to push everybody into; again I can't afford that either as that would be twice what I pay for 500 Iridium minutes plus Sailmail per year.
Littlechay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2014, 09:02   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4music3 View Post
I'm on a tight budget and went with the SPOT sat phone - was not focused on sailing when I did but in any case I advise against it.
Would you mind explaining the problems that you ran into?

Thanks,
Jim
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2014, 09:36   #14

I have recently purchased an Delorme Inreach to augment the satphone but am now considering getting rid of the satphone.

The Inreach:

Costs $300 and $15/month for service (and the $15 can be turned on or off as desired online). There is no SIM. The $15 gets you 10 monthly messages and $0.50 for each additional ($69 gets you unlimited messages)

It sends 160 character messages to any email address (and recipients can send messages back). Longer messages are combined into one email. But as any teenager knows, you can say a lot in 160 characters

Ocens offers a limited weather service that gives you 72 hour weather for $80/yr but I just have a shoreside friend send me a 160 character forecast as needed.

It uses the Iridium network, has a staffed emergency center, and confirms both satellite availability and message successfully sent (messages seem to go in less than 60 seconds). It is "always on", you don't have to check for messages and it beeps when one arrives. There's no screwing around with USB or computer connections or even a login.

It connects by bluetooth to my iphone. I leave the Inreach under the dodger (seems to work through the dodger fine and it goes four days on a charge) and then use the iphone from inside the cabin. The Inreach is waterproof and could go in a liferaft.

I really think it's the biggest step forward in offshore safety/communications since the EPIRB.

InReach

http://www.panbo.com/archives/2014/0...t_weather.html
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2014, 13:58   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
I have recently purchased an Delorme Inreach to augment the satphone but am now considering getting rid of the satphone.
Which version of the In Reach did you get? Yellow with screen? Red with screen? The little one without screen?
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
email, iridium, service