Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2013, 06:05   #1

Boat: Sabre 426
Icom VHF over ship speakers - Not Working

Hello I've been lurking here for quite sometime while in the search for a sailboat. Now that I have a new to me boat, I actually have question and cannot resolve it.

I have a ICOM M502 VHF radio at the nav station and a H127 command mic at the helmsman seat. I've had the boat only a month or two when I first got it I was fiddling with the instruments at the nav station, VHF included. I noticed when the VHF came on it would broadcast over the speakers for the stereo as well as the pair of cockpit speakers.

Which was fine but being inquisitive, I wanted to figure out how to quite those and just get it over the speaker in the unit itself. So I started pushing buttons on the VHF and somehow was able to do so.

Now the problem, for the life of me I can't get the VHF to broadcast over the ships speakers only right on the ICOM unit itself. I tried everything in the manual which was basically turn the internal speaker on and off but to no avail.

I then pulled the panel and looked at the back of the radio and there is nothing hooked up to the external speaker jack. I looked about and could not find where something came unplugged.

So unless there is another way to broadcast on the ships speakers not using the external speaker jack I am confused. Could it be wired in somewhere along the cable that goes to the mic in the cockpit?

Looking for any and all ideas
dp1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 16:16   #2

Re: Icom VHF over ship speakers - Not Working

Stab in the dark - Page 35 of the manual - connector #5 is for external speaker. I imagine that is what's connected to the stereo, so first verify that, then you need to determine what input of the stereo the VHF speaker out is feeding, and ensure the stereo has been switched to that input. And of course that volumes are up enough.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 13:50   #3

Boat: Sabre 426

Thanks for the reply,

I had already checked the manual and as I stated in my original post there is nothing plugged into the external mic jack and I looked everywhere to see if there was something that came apart behind the nav.

However I do know at one point the VHF came over the ships speakers both in the salon and the cockpit speakers. Thus my question is there another way to tap into the VHF say on the cord between the command mic and the VHF?

At this time I would take just having the internal speaker in the command mic (the mic at the helmsman seat) work (it has one doesn't it) I could then at least hear that.
dp1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 14:21   #4

Yeah sorry, after I posted I saw that you'd already checked the jack.

So - tracing from the other end... did you have to set the stereo to a specific input for VHF audio, or did it just appear no matter what the setting of the stereo (radio, CD etc)? Is there a wire going into the stereo that seems unusual?

There's gotta be a speaker in the remote station. Maybe it's speaker feed was hacked for the stereo.

(you did say any and all suggestions. Good luck...)
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 15:27   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp1404 View Post
... However I do know at one point the VHF came over the ships speakers both in the salon and the cockpit speakers. Thus my question is there another way to tap into the VHF ...
Could be either microwave transmission, or fairy spirits; but I'd bet on a disconnected wire you haven't discovered yet.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
icom, vhf