Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2013, 23:03   #1

Boat: Seafarer 34 CB
ICOM 718 and Tuner Help

I am completely new to SSB, but was gifted an Icom 718 that I am struggling to hook (and even understand).

The 718 didn't come with a tuner and the Icom140 is way out of my price range. Can I use any HF tuner? anyone have recommendations (either manual or auto) for around 100-200 bucks tops? On a tight cruising budget.

For example, would this work? http://www.gigaparts.com/store.php?a...le&sku=ZMF-925

Any other suggestions? Thanks!
Old 23-01-2013, 06:37   #2

Boat: A Thistle and a Hallberg-Rassy 36
Re: ICOM 718 and Tuner Help

Yes the MFJ-925 tuner will work. Obviously it has to be in a dry, protected location. If you can make it so at the feedpoint of your antenna and run coax and power/control cable from the transceiver to the tuner in that position, that would be ideal. If not, and the tuner has to be close to the transmitter, I would run low loss coax like LMR-400 or RG-213 from the tuner to the feedpoint of the antenna where you would attach the center conductor to the antenna and the shield to your ground/counterpoise. There will be some SWR related power loss in that cable run, maybe as much as half of your power at higher frequencies, but it will "work".

MFJ has a reputation for automatic tuners that work well, but they also have a reputation for sometimes sloppy assembly. I have never had problems with their products. They also sell some weather protected/sealed tuners designed to be placed in less than ideal locations. Cost a bit more, but less than an AT-140. They can be powered via coax using a bias-T connector to minimize the amount of cable running to them. That would be a better solution, but a bit more money.

Chip
SoonerSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 06:47   #3

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

I have an IC-718 and use an LDG Z-100 Tuner with it. You just need to make sure you order the right cable for it and the radio. You can use a tuner like the AT-180 but have to go through a menu to setup the IC-718 to recognize the tuner.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 07:15   #4

Boat: A Thistle and a Hallberg-Rassy 36

LDG is known for making good tuners, as Rhapsody suggested. You can also use a manual tuner near the transceiver which you should be able to find for well under $200, but they do require a little bit more knowledge and effort to make work well.

Take a look at the MFJ-926B remote antenna tuner too. Not too much more than the MFJ-925.

Chip
SoonerSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 03:45   #5

Boat: Jeanneau Voyage 37 ft

CG-3000 automatic tuner, chinese made, is a cheaper alternative to the SGC-230. Should be about US $ 300 (if available in the US...).

I have one at the base of a home-made 10 m allband vertical, it has been up there at 5 m height in our damp and cold climate here in Belgium, working flawlessly and tuning quite OK. Waterproof. Perfect to install at the base of wire or backstay antenna in the lazarette.
On my boat I invested in an SGC-230, since I needed an ATU on both locations and had gotten rid of a Yaesu FC-40 atu performing rather poorly on the boat.

Jan
ONB3ZTT
Goudurix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icom