Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2016, 16:04   #1

Heart Interface Freedom 20 Low Voltage

Hi all:

I have a Freedom 20 Inverter/Charger (120 volt AC / 12 volt DC) with a strange problem. Charger circuit works just fine. However the Inverter outputs 90 +/- volts rising (10 seconds) to 110 volts +/- before resetting back to 90 volts and starting the cycle again...this with load as small as only a 100 watt light bulb. I have completely disconnected external controller with no effect. I have also fully disconnected the AC load connection at the inverter and then connected same 100 watt light bulb...result is steady 120 volt output and no audible resetting. I had thought the problem was internal to the inverter and purchased a (used) unit to replace it with exactly the same result.
It would seem the problem must be on the AC load side that effects the inverter but causes no problems when the boat is connected to dockside power.
I'm a new owner of the boat (1994) and have noted a polarity test switch on the AC panel...when pushed it indicates a polarity fault which I've confirmed with a handheld outlet tester (indicates hot & neutral reversed). None of my dockmates have the issue and the marina has tested the supply side but no issue. As far as I know no major electrical work has been done on the boat for years and there is no evidence of changes that I can find.
I am going to get the polarity issue checked out and wonder if my inverter problem could be related?
Any thoughts?
patfarrell1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 20:37   #2

Re: Heart Interface Freedom 20 Low Voltage

your polarity tester is probably to test the light bulb, which lights up when you push the test button.... so it's working.

sounds like you have AC wiring issues on the boat if it works direct from inverter.

the voltage cycling sounds like it's in search mode. so you probably have an open cct between the inverter and loads. the inverter sees no load and stays in serach mode. but then your shore power probably wouldn't work either. not sure.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote