Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2012, 19:59   #91
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: HAM / SSB / SAT Phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Murphy View Post
Yes, but you can't send much in that time. A file that might a few minutes with IOP might take almost an hour with a standard sat phone handheld with data connection, or your mini-M. A few years I figured it all out. To pull down for instance one website over a handheld was something like $60 if you paid time with a handheld. It was rediculous. If you need real data you cannot pay time with a system that is not designed for data. You have to go with data rates, not voice rates.
It would take me 83 minutes for data that can't be compressed or 18 minutes theoretic maximum throughput which brings it to $30 to $145 to download a MByte.

So yes, if you need to download files or similar on a regular basis then it makes sense to get IOP. If downloading only now and then I would still do it on Winlink during the quiet hours but I'm crazy.

p.s. on Winlink, there's so many stations on so many bands... I never had trouble finding one with decent propagation for say 18 hours a day. From the Caribbean, Canadian stations are my favorite backup, so a south to north path, not crossing night/day borders.

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 20:29   #92

Boat: Shearwater 39
Re: HAM / SSB / SAT Phone

Hi Nick

I think we agree on pretty much everything. I do think I've had a problem with my RF ground system for a while. I've now got a new copper band going to a keel bolt so should have better luck.

By the way, I'll get my little plug in for the book I finished while on our cruise and using the IOP....;-)

Here's a link:

Amazon.com: Choosing Cesarean: A Natural Birth Plan (9781616145118): Magnus Murphy, Pauline McDonagh Hull: Books

Magnus
M Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite phone