Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2010, 00:01   #1

GPS / Map Software for Laptop

I'm considering north east Austarlia cruising and possibly Western Pacific islands and going through the chart plotter options. Have decided that a laptop and separate handheld GPS is the go. One option is Software on board and C Maps another Memory Map marine. Would appreciate feedback from users or either or others. Thanks
Hawyeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 00:30   #2

Open cpn is free and good for a laptop also get a copy of "russian charts" which are free and worldwide.
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 01:02   #3

Do I need software on board or similiar as the GPS system or what else to interface with the suggested charts
Old 27-09-2010, 01:19   #4

You do not need software on board (SOB) members of cruisers forum have developed their own free system called OPEN CPN do a search of the forum and download it to see if it is suitable for you needs you will also find references to free charts, Some call them the Russian charts, they are actually a copy of Cmap charts on a Russian web site. However the charts from 2009 earlier will not work in Open CPN so you just download the earlier version. I worked for me.
I am in Raby bay marina a 12 meter motor sailor trimaran also on Cruisers forum as Beau's Boat do a search.
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 02:52   #5

Boat: Samson SeaRanger yacht 12+mtrs Bedouin
OpenCPN is a great program, I think I have tried most of them. It is easy to use, very easy to install and to get it up and running just add a GPS "communicator" to a USB port. I have computer charts from Port Phillip up the east coast, across the top and down to Exmouth WA, the charts are very detailed and great for coastal work. I use these charts and the "Russian" CM93, the OpenCPN selects which is best for the zoom I apply and overlays both sets of charts. Pleased to help you with charts if you like, I am at Mooloolaba.
bedouin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 02:58   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Sailing vessels up to 200 tons
I would second that. I use an emachines notepad (£200), a garmin handheld gps with interface cable (£85), Russian charts (google CNF.seasoft) and OpenCPN navigation program. I have just added a nasa AIS engine (£105) and aerial (£25). I can also use the notepad for other purposes, WiFi, Internet etc. It's a pretty cheap comprehensive navigation setup.

Delivering boats for a living - no more!
edsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 17:58   #7

Is anyone using OpenCPN on a Ubuntu 10.04 system? I downloaded deb file, installed it but running the app does nothing . I see the program load but no screen ever displays. Thanks. Kevin
kgregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 05:58   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedouin View Post
OpenCPN is a great program, I think I have tried most of them. It is easy to use, very easy to install and to get it up and running just add a GPS "communicator" to a USB port. I have computer charts from Port Phillip up the east coast, across the top and down to Exmouth WA, the charts are very detailed and great for coastal work. I use these charts and the "Russian" CM93, the OpenCPN selects which is best for the zoom I apply and overlays both sets of charts. Pleased to help you with charts if you like, I am at Mooloolaba.
Yes would like to see how you use CPN and CM93 any chance of meeting up - I'm in Brisbane.
Rgds

Russell
Old 28-09-2010, 06:37   #9

Boat: Formosa 51 Aft Cockpit Ketch - "Beausoleil"
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgregg View Post
Is anyone using OpenCPN on a Ubuntu 10.04 system? I downloaded deb file, installed it but running the app does nothing . I see the program load but no screen ever displays. Thanks. Kevin
Go to the OpenCPN sub-forum here and post your question there. I'm running it on Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit, and the program displays fine, so I can't help you there...
Beausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 16:18   #10

Boat: Columbia 41
I bought a Northstar 538 GPS for my nav station. Later on I bought a Navman 5380i to mount at the wheel because it comes with an integral antenna. Both units appear identical but to my surprise they do not accept common data chips. The 5380i takes a c-map nt+ chip. The 538 takes an orange chip. Does anyone know of a common chip that will work in both units?
Sam Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote