Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2016, 19:05   #1

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40 "Voyageur"
Fitting Simrad RF-300

The Simrad instructions specify a relatively short link rod to connect the RF-300 to the steering quadrant, with the RF-300's axis coincidental with that of the rudderpost. The instructions look like they were composed with power boats in mind. My Jeanneau SO40 has a large-diameter quadrant that makes following the Simrad instructions difficult, if not impossible.

The Raymarine ST-6000/AP100 system being retired uses a much longer (say, 50%) connection rod and does not have a coincidental axis due to access issues. I haven't gone through the measurement and math process, but this linkage appears to cause a reasonably linear relationship between the quadrant and the feedback arm.

It seems to me that I should just duplicate the (successful) Raymarine scheme - mount the RF-300 in a similar location and obtain a longer threaded rod from the usual supplier.

Has anyone else been down this road?
so34chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 22:21   #2

Re: Fitting Simrad RF-300

on the simrad systems you can define the end degrees so it doesn't really need to be the same amount of movment. the end degrees can be programed. if the raymarine one not liner it was probably always wrong but I doubt people really care how many degrees the ruder is over. just want to know which side it's on and if its' moving. all the arms come pretty long (18-24"?) and can be cut down. if the current ray one is much longer then the simrad, it was likely made by someone as well and not the one in the ray box.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 20:04   #3

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40 "Voyageur"
Re: Fitting Simrad RF-300

The Raymarine arm is around 22" long, M6 thread, and the Simrad arm is around 15" long, M5 thread. I'm ordering a meter of M5 all-thread and moving on.
so34chi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
simrad