Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 15:35   #1

Connecting Raymarine e7D to autopilot

The documentation from Raymarine is contradictory when it comes to e7 / e7d connection to Raymarine Autopilots. (ST6002, ST7002, ST8002 and the coursecomputer S1, S2, S3).

The e7 manual states that these can be connected with the SeaTalk SeaTalkng converter.
On the other hand, the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng converters manual states explicitly that the autopilot must not be connected through the converter. It is even stated that the autopilot must not be connected to the same SeaTalk spur as the other SeaTalk instruments, eg wind, log, etc. (ST60 +).

I can certainly use the NMEA 0183 output from e7 directly to my ST6002, but I'd like SeaTalk input to the plotter and to my autopilot. It seems that it is not possible as long as the autopilot is part of the SeaTalk system.

But that said, here it is conflicting documentation. Does anyone have experience with this?
Stompos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:00   #2

Re: Connecting Raymarine e7D to autopilot

I can see the complication. I have two C70 that I wish to replace with two C95. I have also a C50. E7 like the C95 do not have a Seatalk connection so NMEA must be used. NMEA is limited to the sentences that can be sent or received. For instance starting the autopilot from the C50 is not possible using NMEA. Unlike the Sx course computer, SPX course computer can be connected to Seatalkng and it should be possible to start the autopilot from the MDF’s. In any case the power wiring of Seatalk must be done with care and it will be interesting to see if the autopilot can be controlled using Seatalk by the way of the converter.
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:52   #3

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

Stompos,
It looks like Raymarine intended to support the older APs via the SeaTalk to SeaTalkNG converter, but found problems and abandoned that connection. If you call Raymarine Tech Supt I would bet their response will be, "Yeah we haven't gotten around to updating the E7 manual yet."

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 21:34   #4

Boat: Bavaria 47, 48ft
Stompos,
I had the same concerns but they were put to rest once I hooked up my e7 + ST converter + ST6000. They worked great together without any special configuration!

That's one of three limitation Raymarine list about the converter that I have found incorrect.
The other two are the limitation of ST1 devices that can be connected and that the converter must have a separate power cable.
SV_Inspirare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 13:24   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV_Inspirare View Post
Stompos,
I had the same concerns but they were put to rest once I hooked up my e7 + ST converter + ST6000. They worked great together without any special configuration!

That's one of three limitation Raymarine list about the converter that I have found incorrect.
That's what I suspected. I will try to connect the converter and see what's happening.
I'll report back
Stompos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 09:57   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV_Inspirare View Post
Stompos,

The other two are the limitation of ST1 devices that can be connected and that the converter must have a separate power cable.
Which of the 3 methods did you use to connect the above together?
1) Seatalk and Seatalkng power supplied by the course computer.
2) Seatalk and Seatalkng power supplied externally.
3) Seatalk and Seatalkng power supplied externally and by the course computer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	seatalk.jpg
Views:	2672
Size:	403.3 KB
ID:	42334  
Old 16-06-2012, 23:57   #7

I don't know where my ST1 loop gets its power. Could be the computer or somewhere else in the loop. The converter and the STng network gets its power from the ST1 loop. Seem to work just fine. Have used it for months that way.
Old 17-06-2012, 07:26   #8

Method 3 is the less desirable and may be the reason of the warning from Ray. If for instance the supply to the course computer is interrupted or become too resistive then the power for the pilot will come from Seatalkng feed and will exceed the current carrying capacity of Seatalkng and Seatalk and may damage them and the instruments before the recommended 5A fuse as the time to interrupt the circuit.

Method 2. The break on the positive does not have to be at the course computer but may be for example between the pilot head and the rest of the instruments.
Old 17-06-2012, 08:01   #9

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius

I am traveling back to the states and have plans to buy the e7d. Currently have the ST60 wind, and a ST4000 plus old navman depth guage. Anyone know if the e7d will talk to the ST4000? It looks like the ST60 is talking to the ST4000. thanks.
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2012, 02:21   #10

I am having problems with 6002 and e7d, whould be resolved soon, with reqiring to power off the course computer.

My boat icon has started pointing 90 degrees to the course on the e7 display. Anyone have experience with this?

THanks in advance.
dmartin_nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2012, 05:19   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmartin_nm View Post
I am having problems with 6002 and e7d, whould be resolved soon, with reqiring to power off the course computer.

My boat icon has started pointing 90 degrees to the course on the e7 display. Anyone have experience with this?

THanks in advance.
The course computer send the compass data (Heading) to the e7d. If you switch off the course computer the data is not sent any more. Hope this help.
Old 19-06-2012, 12:49   #12
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to SS Little-Devil

Don't mean to hijack, but I'm about to install a SPX-5 p70 AP and an e7d radar package. Do I need something more like this converter to connect the AP to the e7D?? Geez! $$$
SS Little-Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2012, 07:40   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Little-Devil View Post
Don't mean to hijack, but I'm about to install a SPX-5 p70 AP and an e7d radar package. Do I need something more like this converter to connect the AP to the e7D?? Geez! $$$
I see no hijack. I could not find for your’s set up any relevant information from Ray.
No should not need a converter. I hope you get a relevant manual with your package.
The way I see it there is two options. Connecting the P70 to the SPX-5 course computer using a Seatalkng to Seatalk adaptor cable and using Seatalk ng between the course computer and the e7d. Like this if the Seatalk ng fails you can still use the autopilot. Or, you can use an all Seatalk ng wiring. From the SPX-5 you will require a Stripped End Spur cable, connect in accordance with the diagram, (no yellow, SPX-5 does not supply power to Seatalk ng) connect spur to backbone using a T piece. Using a backbone cable connect to another T piece. From this T piece connect the p70 using a spur cable and also connect to another T piece using a backbone cable. From this T piece connect the 12V dc supply with a power cable and also connect to another T piece using a backbone cable. From this T piece connect the e7d using a spur cable. You need also two terminators at each ends of the backbone. Depending of your configuration you can also use a 5-way connector it may come cheaper. Double-check this information with your supplier. Hope this help.
Old 21-06-2012, 12:25   #14
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to SS Little-Devil

Thanks Chala! Starting Monday so hope it all works out and I have a fully operational system by the following weekend sail to Catalina.
SS Little-Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:34   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmartin_nm

THanks in advance.
I had that happen to me once after I placed a hand drill next to the compass
The icon is based on the compass heading. Make sure it doesn't have anything magnetic nect to it and run through the calibration of the compass. That should fix it.

Tags
autopilot, raymarine