Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 18:35   #1
DRS

Boat: Lagoon 380
Cleaning connectors

I have a plotter and VHF ram mic located in an area that is somewhat exposed to the elements. I have noticed some corrosion beginning on the small pins and sockets of the connectors. Does anyone have a good way to clean these? Would dipping them in something like CLR work or harm them? Is it possible to get a "wire" brush fine enough to fit into the female end of the multi-pin connectors?
If I get them clean would dielectric grease help protect or would it cause more problems?

Thanks
Old 11-04-2012, 18:45   #2

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55
Re: Cleaning connectors

Clr wont harm them,,just rinse off with clean water afterwards and then blow dry.
You can use a product called brake clean otherwise,,it'll blow most any contaminants off the subject part.
Also i believe you can use a Dialectric spray to protect the terminals.

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:56   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Use DeoxIT D5 spray. It is, IMO, the best by far of all the contact cleaners.
caig.com - Home of DeoxIT® - CAIG Laboratories, Inc.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:50   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRS View Post
I have a plotter and VHF ram mic located in an area that is somewhat exposed to the elements. I have noticed some corrosion beginning on the small pins and sockets of the connectors. Does anyone have a good way to clean these? Would dipping them in something like CLR work or harm them? Is it possible to get a "wire" brush fine enough to fit into the female end of the multi-pin connectors?
If I get them clean would dielectric grease help protect or would it cause more problems?

Thanks
Detoxit is very good but, $$. I do have some on board there are also many contact cleaners you can use. Usually I will just use some denatured alcohol. But, the important thing is to use a proper brush to get at the contacts. For that I like to use these:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: TOOLS OF AN ELECTRIC SAILOR: CONNECTOR CLEANING BRUSHES
Old 12-04-2012, 06:09   #5

This topic interests me because my mast top B&G AWI has started to go intermittent and stop sending data. I've yet to go up the mast and do a proper inspection.... but I noticed that if I give the mast a good shake... with a halyard or the back stay I can get the AWI to begin to spew out some *pulses*... and it may actually then begin to work. To me this rules out any upstream of the AWI or the connection which is what I suspect and hope to be the problem.

But then the issue is how does one go about cleaning those sort of small male female pin type connectors... especially when half of them are up at the top of the mast?

I am about to get up there for a look see and I suspect if the male pins show some corrosion, the females will as well.

I may write to B&G and ask for some guidance / suggestions... but perhaps the collective wisdom of CF will do the job.

Over...
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:30   #6

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Use DeoxIT D5 spray. It is, IMO, the best by far of all the contact cleaners.
caig.com - Home of DeoxIT® - CAIG Laboratories, Inc.

This stuff works great!
Old 12-04-2012, 06:37   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post
But then the issue is how does one go about cleaning those sort of small male female pin type connectors... especially when half of them are up at the top of the mast?.........Over...
Spray both connectors with your favoured contact cleaner, insert and remove the connectors a few times, spray again to wash away loosened corrosion. Refit and try.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 12-04-2012, 06:44   #8

If you really want to go the whole hog, use DeoxIT Shield after using DeoxIT D5. Most don't bother but if you are chasing best practice, then it is hard to get better IMO.

http://store.caig.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.192/.f
Old 12-04-2012, 06:58   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post
I may write to B&G and ask for some guidance / suggestions... but perhaps the collective wisdom of CF will do the job.

Over...
Is that a model 213? Those are notorious for getting moisture in them. Iv'e literally dumped water out of them. You can take the PCB out of them for a thorough cleaning/drying and hope for the best.

Eric
fairbank56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:36   #10

Another DeoxIT fan. I find it substantially better than other contact cleaners. I use it on all press and screw connectors (e.g. not crimp) - even new ones which have often picked up some minor oxide sitting on the shelf.

In my experience, over 50% of boat electrical/instrument problems are due to a poor connection somewhere. The "baffling" ones are almost always connection problems.

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cleaning