Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2017, 11:04   #16

Boat: Taswell 43
Re: Can anyone recommend a good 12-volt TV monitor?

Let me suggest a much easier, simpler solution....it's what we did on our boat about 3-4 years ago. We bought a small inverter, wired it into the boats 12vDC system (with fuse), and then plug our TV, our computer printer, our DVD player, and a Hard Drive to HDMI converter (we have some 400 movies on the HD) into it. It has an On/Off switch, and allows us to plug in and use any 110v entertainment center devices we want without shore power or running the genset. That way you can buy ANY TV/DVD player, Printer, etc you chose, that fits your space and desired features, and run them anytime you want. We also installed a Magestic 12v-powered TV ant(Defender). The power draw is very small(a 400w inverter, w/b-i cooling fan), it's compact, and the system works exceedingly well. FWIW
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:20   #17

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142

I have and use a Axess TV/DVD 12 volts that I love. It was $135 and that's for the 15 inch model. The rest are larger. If memory serves me it uses just 24watts at 12 volts.

I would buy another.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:47   #18

I'll second what others have said about using a small 12vdc/120vac inverter. Harbor Freight, purveyors of all-Chinese stuff, has 400W units for $25. Fry's Electronics, Microcenter.com and others sell 32" HD LED TVs for less than $300, in many cases closer to $150. I saw a 48" HD TV for $265 last week on one of those sites. Your solutions don't have to involve lots of green. A nice up-converting Bluray player is pretty reasonable and makes DVDs look really good on a HD display.
trifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 13:04   #19

Boat: Lots of boats.

Bought Element 19 and 24 inch TVs about a year ago. Both have 12V input. Bought a 12V auto plug of the same size for about $15 on Amazon. The larger TV was just over $100. Looking back, wish it was a smart TV. Had to buy a Roku stick for $30. Now it is!

Other TVs will work as well. You will need to check to see if it has DC input to the TV. If so and not 12V, no problem, buy a DC adapter cord (transformer). They convert 12V DC to 15V-20V DC. I use one for my laptop which is 18V DC. No need for inverter to AC.
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 13:33   #20

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

dynalink tv / low power consumption / usb input plus remote control / analogue & digital receivers built in stereo speakers / built in antenna amplifier / last one we found on ebay was $120 aud / for inside the cabin only / if you want to use it in the cockpit with salt spray a tough book cf-30 will handle the conditions but you are stuck with using a laptop / flat screen computer monitors are available on ebay / waterproof are scarce and expensive
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 13:50   #21

Boat: Cheoy Lee PH43

I have two 24"Axess TV's with built in DVD's. Both mounted on fixed ultra-slim brackets from Amazon (about $15).
They come with 2 different cables 12v and 120v.

My12voltstore.com has everything from TV's to hairdryers.
Luther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 14:18   #22

Boat: Sigma 41

I bought a Sigma 41 with a Symphony 12 volt TV which works well along with a cheapo ($25) sound bar from Brands Mark which I plug into a small inverter. It does not seem to draw much. For TV, I use a cheap antenae which brings in local stations during football season!
dneve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 14:29   #23

Boat: Beneteau 44cc

There are many monitors that work off 19vdc and 24vdc
I have a 22 " 19v one i bought a 12v to 19v dc to dc converter rated at 4 amps works great for me
cajucito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 16:14   #24

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

We have an 88 dollar Element that we got at a discount store. It has a standard 12v plug that we plugged directly into a 12v outlet. We are anchored out and with a small antenna, have been able to get several stations each stop as we travel down the east coast. We have used the HDMI to watch movies but never tried the USB. It continues to operate even if we let the voltage drop to single digits on one bank. I never checked the current draw but it doesn't seem to be very high.
SteveNDar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 16:23   #25

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
Most TVs that take external 12V power input from a brick have internal regulators that take care of slight variations in voltage. I had an Insignia 24" TV that I wired by cutting the brick cord and I would leave it on during battery equalization (16V) without any problems. Buying a marine TV is just a hype. They are the same TVs just rebadged.
Many have moisture protection on the circuit boards and a waterproof remote control. They are not "just rebadged".
Old 07-03-2017, 16:40   #26

Boat: Nordhavn 46, 46'

I think for around $150 a couple of years ago I bought a 22" 12V TV with an internal DVD slot. We just pop the movie in and play. Or receive TV input. With 12V I don't have to go through an inverter or run the genset at anchor. There are a lot of different plugs on the monitor, to include a USB, so input can come from many sources. Liked the set-up so much I put smaller TVs in the fwd and aft cabins as well.

Have a switch box on my antenna that allows me to switch from cable input (at a marina) or digital antenna (at anchor).

I think running a laptop would use more power. 12V TVs don't draw a lot.
Moody46CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 18:20   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Yea, that one has been making the rounds of the web forums.

Unlike the power at your home or business, the "12 volts" on your boat can go upwards of 14 volts when the batteries are being charged. If the TV is expecting 12 volts out of the power supply and gets over 14 volts, bad things can happen. And many times, that TV power supply isn't putting out 12 volts anyway. It could be 19 volts.

Cutting the power supply off a 120 volt TV set and wiring it directly to your boat's DC system isn't the best idea out there. Buy a TV made for a boat (or a truck).
I've done this on three boats since about 1998.
No problems.
Old 07-03-2017, 19:17   #28

We've had a SKYWORTH 19 inch equipped with an internal DVD for three years now in a salt water environment purchased for Amazon. It is supposedly has weather proofed circuit cards.
It goes without saying, 'It's a wise move to get the EXTENDED Warranty'
CatboatWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 19:21   #29

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
I'm looking as well. I have heard/read positive things about Best Buy's Insignia brand (Insignia 19" Class (18.5" Diag.) - LED - 720p - HDTV Black NS-19D220NA16 - Best Buy). They aren't 12v but supposedly you can cut off the brick and wire it in directly. And at $80 you can afford to replace it when the marine environment gets to it.

Anyway, I've got one I will be installing May so we will see how it goes.

It doesn't allow video playback through the USB. The only tv under 24" I could find that played almost all video files from our hard drive is the Samsung 19" from 2013 (found new on eBay)

Matt
Old 07-03-2017, 20:49   #30

Boat: Islander 36

I bought one off eBay. I searched 12vdc TV and I bought a 19" with DVD and all the USB connectors. I think it was Access. Works fine.
smith8273 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, monitor