Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2007, 09:14   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
B&G instrument repairs

Hello All:

I have a set of B&G HOrnet 4 instruments on my boat. There are two problems with them. One is that the wind directon indicator seems to have a blind spot where the masthead arrow and the wind are pointed to a beam reach but the analogue display is pointed elsewhere. On all other points of sail it shows up fine.

The other problem that I have is that the repeater on the Hecta Depth Monitor does not always show the depth. It works fine on the Depth monitor but not on the repeater. It will be working fine than just throw out all numbers and show all 0000. I've verified the accuracy of the depth sounder with a lead line and the as I said before the monitor works fine but the repeater will be woring fine then just crap out.

Any ideas on either of these problems?

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:20   #2
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"the repeater will be woring fine then just crap out. "
Sounds like some bad wiring to the repeater, Charlie. Loose connection, bad splice in a power lead, something simple and totally fatal like that.

The wind direction pyschosis seems to be more of a broken instrument.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:26   #3

Thanks HS:

I'll look into the wiring when I get back to the boat.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 04-06-2007, 01:24   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Hornet 4 Handbook: http://www.bandg.com/pdfs/hornet4.pdf
For B&G Customer Support and Service Contact: (USA)
Tel: 1-425-778-8821
Email: seattle.service@navico.com
B&G Home: B&G | www.BandG.com

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 05:55   #5

To test the masthead unit, you'll either need someone at the masthead or bring the unit down and use a test cable to connect it to the Hornet 4. With an analog voltmeter, place the negative lead on the black wire of the mast cable, and the positive lead on the red wire. Have someone slowly rotate the direction vane thru 360 degrees of rotation. The voltage should vary smoothly from approx. .3v to approx. 6.1v Do the same with the blue wire and the green wire. These are the phase outputs that determine the angle. With the vane at exactly 90 degrees, the voltages should be: Red 3.25v, Green 0.47v and Blue 5.93v and at 270 degrees: Red 3.25v, Green 5.93v and Blue 0.47v. Any problem with these measurements indicate a problem with the circuit board in the masthead unit. If they are ok, you can measure the Hornet 4 output at the meter. Black meter lead on common, red on Sin, voltage will vary from +2.5v to -2.5v Same on Cos. With vane at 90 degrees, you should have +2.3v on Sin and -2.3 on Cos and at 270 degrees, -2.3v on Sin and +2.3v on Cos.

As for the remote depth indicator. Check the area where the jacket of the cable from the Hornet 4 to the meter was cut and stripped. Iv'e seen many times where the individual wires themselves were slightly cut into when the cable jacket was removed. This does not present a problem at first but eventually corrosion takes over and creates an intermittent connection before finally breaking into. If this is ok and the other connections are ok, then you need to open the meter up. First remove the Dessicator plug from the back and then loosen the many screws from the rear. A battery screwdriver will come in handy here, these are long fine thread screws. Seperate the two halves of the meter and inspect the the LCD connections. This is another area of frequent problems once any moisture has gotten into the meter. You can pull the LCD and lightly clean the long leads with very fine sandpaper. Do not pry up on the LCD itself as it is easily broken. Instead, pry up on the diffuser under the LCD which will then push up on the LCD. The diffuser is probably stuck to the microprocessor underneath with doublesided tape but should come loose easily. Pop the dessicator into the oven at 250 degrees for a couple hours or so to dry it out before replacing it. If this does not fix the problem, if you have another digital meter in the system such as boat speed or wind speed, you can swap them to determine if the problem is in the meter or in the Hornet 4. You'll find a 4 position DIP switch on the circuit board in the meter. The depth meter has positions 1,2, and 3 turned on. Boat speed has position 2 on and wind speed has position 1 on. Simply change them as needed and swap them out.

Eric
fairbank56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:57   #6

Eric:

Thank you that is the exact information that I was looking for. I will let you guys know the outcome in July when I return from BC.

GM: Thanks for the website. I actually have the originial manual and it does not contain the detailed info such as Eric was able to provide.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 04-06-2007, 08:52   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
What a treasure, Eric (fairbank56) !!!

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 16:47   #8

B&G wind speed conked out

hi all,
I just returned from a circumnavigation with my family on a Niagara 35 (see islandsynergy.com) and over the winter my 28-year-old B&G wind speed conked. Wind direction still works and I can see the cups whirling around. Did the basic tests in manual (touching black and violet leads to see if meter reads and it did) and now I am waiting for wind to calm down before I can check masthead unit. Has anybody worked on these old B&G Hornet Model 3's?
cheers
Ian
seastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 18:04   #9

B&G has a repair service in FL. Look em up.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 07:08   #10

hi,
A quick trip to the masthead fixed the problem. Strong winter winds must have loosened the connector.On to fixing something else...
Ian
seastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 07:10   #11
cruiser

What a great thread, now that I have a B&G Hornet 4 Sailing Monitor that does nothing but light up. (displays no data)

Thanks for the posts.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 07:13   #12

Hi Sean:

First thing to do is to open up the repeaters and pull the desacant(sp?) out and stick them in the oven for a couple of hours. by doing that I was able to get some of my displays to work.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 09-05-2008, 10:56   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
First thing to do is to open up the repeaters and pull the desacant(sp?) out and stick them in the oven for a couple of hours.
I use an old Aqua Signal series 40 bow light as a portable oven in my shop for just that purpose. Get's up to nearly 300°F in there with a 25w incandescent bulb. 2-3 hours and there ready to go.

Eric
fairbank56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:51   #14

Hi Eric:

Is there anywhere way to get an impeller for the B&G Equipment. I've got the transducer but wanted to find out if there was anywhere to buy or how to make the propeller that attaches to the bottom.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 07-12-2015, 09:16   #15

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana
Re: B&G instrument repairs

I bought an Impeller Fin Unit from Atlantic Radiotelephone in Mia. (305) 6339636 but that was 15 years ago.

Tags
repairs