Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2011, 18:30   #1

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48
Any Experience with an Icom IC-7000?

My Icom IC-M800 still works fine but as we're heading to the South Pacific soon, I'm starting to question how reliable it can remain. After looking around, I think I'm leaning towards the Icom IC-7000 partly because it offers higher output on VHF frequencies and partly for it's extensive filters. The reviews on the ham forums have been very good but few are cruisers. I know the unit draws almost 2 amps in standby but I think I could live with that. I would like the ability to output the full 150 watts (the IC-7000 only outputs 100) but most hams say it's plenty. Since I am a radio active ham, I tend to lean more towards the amateur rigs as opposed to the SSBs.

Any input on the IC-7000 in a cruising sailboat would be appreciated.

Fair winds, calm seas and 73s.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 05:39   #2

Boat: A Thistle and a Hallberg-Rassy 36
I use an IC-7000 at home and on the boat. It's a great little rig. It does want a good 13+ volts to operate at full power, and it needs good ventilation to stay cool, though these are a good thing for any radio. I use an N8XKJ boost regulator to make sure it always has 14 volts power input, and turn the nav station fan toward it when operating to keep it cool, and with these measures it does great. Simply running large cables to it from the battery bank, while a good idea, won't be enough to keep it happy when running full power off a battery that is not freshly charged or being charged. It will take lower voltages fine with reduced power settings. You will find most ham rigs are a bit finicky in this way.

I was also able to use a 4P/DT switch so I could switch the antenna tuner (AT-140) between the IC-7000 and the M-802 with ease.

Chip
AE5KA
SoonerSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 05:46   #3

The IC-7000 makes a nice backup rig because it can be easily altered to transmit on any HF frequency and even marine VHF in FM mode in an emergency. I haven't tried to use it on VHF so can't verify how well it does that. Any out of ham band use is at your own risk from the hardware issue, and it should be a real emergency from a legal perspective.
Old 23-02-2011, 06:06   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to Sheriff
Re: Any Experience with an Icom IC-7000?

hey nhschneider the ic-7000 is a nice rig but dont toss out your old VHF and SSB if it works have the 7000 as a back up radio.Good luck on your journy my friend 73's and good DX.

Ancil
9Z4FI
Old 23-02-2011, 19:15   #5

Whoops, I mis-typed above. The boost regulator I use is one of the N8XJK units. Works very well.
Old 25-02-2011, 07:53   #6

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

Sooner-
Thanks for your input as I find it valuable. One question, though: Did you modify your 7000 to transmit on marine frequencies? If so, did you do the modification yourself? I'd be grateful for a reply.

By the way, my brother owned a Valiant 40 for a while. Just for kicks, he put it up for sale with an outrageous price and someone bought it! He now owns a stunning Norsemann 447.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 08:12   #7

To open the IC-7000 for all frequency transmit requires the removal of one surface mount diode, on the DDS board if I recall correctly. It was not difficult. I also made a mod to have the cooling fan run at a low level continuously, and it still kicks into high when it hits the original temp threshold. There is also a diode one can remove from the US models to allow the radio to receive and display NTSC TV signals, though not much point to do that in the US anymore. All of these mods can be found in the Internet, but if you have difficulty finding them I can send you a link when I get a chance.

I love our Valiant 40, though it isn't as roomy as modern boats of that size. I definitely have confidence in it though.

Chip
Old 19-03-2011, 20:38   #8

I don't recommend the Icom 7000.

At work, we have two of them and their built-in amplifier keeps smoking. Then no power out when transmitting - then they go back to ICOM for repair.

This is the only amateur radio that Icom sells that does not have a 100% duty cycle. It has a temperature meter and if you transmit too much the radio gets damaged. We've tried setting it to 50 watts - even 20 watts - and the temperature keeps rising. If one doesn't constantly stare at the temperature meter one risks damaging the radio.

There are so many good radios out there - why buy this compromise 7000 model?

Howard
HowardZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 00:54   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

The Icom 7200 is a better choice for marine use. The front panel uses the sealing technology of the ICOM marine radios. It's not as water resistant as the marine radios but I haven't found that to be a great problem if a radio is mounted out of the way of direct spray. The 7200 is HF and 6 meter only. Frequencies that are of real use on the ocean. The VHF/UHF capabilities of the 7200 are something that aren't much use at all to the typical sailor. The radio has a USB connection that should work like a sound card to down load weather files directly without the need for an expensive Pactor modem. You'll still need the Pactor Modem for email but a money saver if you don't care about email at sea.

BTW, the ICOM 7000 and 7200 are both Ham radios so need a Ham license to use on the Ham frequencies. They can transmit on the Marine HF frequencies if 'opened up' which is a pretty minor thing to accomplish. It is not technically legal to do so however except in an emergency. Don't think that's such a big deal as the Maritime Mobile nets and inter boat communications are almost exclusively on 20 and 40 meter Ham frequencies. The big cruising rallies and offshore races may communicate on the Marine HF bands, however.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 03:01   #10
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
The icom 7000 is a fine rig. It's a class A Rf amp and needs good air circulation around the heat sinks. I use an additional external computer fan.

Dave

Tags
icom