Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2015, 07:50   #61
Formerly: Capt Wraun

Boat: Corbin39 CC Cutter Rig
Re: Alternatives to Certain Maretron Gear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
You will get barometric pressure and outside temp from the WSO100, but that's the only other data other than AWA and AWS. What else were you expecting? TWS and TWA, Ground Wind, and all the derived wind data is produced by the MFD, not in the transducer.

I love my WSO100, which has turned out to be an absolutely superior wind instrument. I paid, I think, $600 for it from Defender, which is hardly more than a regular mechanical wind instrument would have cost. It did not require any calibration of any kind. I do have the DSM250, and one of the things I use it for is the lovely Maretron weather screen which shows Ground Wind speed and direction, barograph, inside and outside temp, moon phase, time, etc.
From the Maretron web site:
Apparent wind speed
Apparent wind direction
Atmospheric pressure
Air temperature
Relative humidity

That's what I expect.

Also, on the subject of calibration. My wso100 awa is off by about 20 to 30 deg as observed by my good old fashioned Davis Wind Indicator.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:17   #62

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Rondo Normal View Post
Apparent wind speed
Apparent wind direction
Atmospheric pressure
Air temperature
Relative humidity

That's what I expect.

Also, on the subject of calibration. My wso100 awa is off by about 20 to 30 deg as observed by my good old fashioned Davis Wind Indicator.
The WSO100 needs to be aligned with the centerline of the boat. It's fairly easy to do when you first install it, or by going up the mast.

You can set an offset, but unlike depth and speed offsets, I think you do actually need the Maretron display to do that -- I don't think it's in the network.

You should be getting PNGs for the other data in your network -- have you checked? This data will not be displayed by every instrument you have, but I can display it on my Zeuses -- it's listed under "environmental data". And obviously on the DSM250.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:45   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
The WSO100 needs to be aligned with the centerline of the boat. It's fairly easy to do when you first install it, or by going up the mast.

You can set an offset, but unlike depth and speed offsets, I think you do actually need the Maretron display to do that -- I don't think it's in the network.

You should be getting PNGs for the other data in your network -- have you checked? This data will not be displayed by every instrument you have, but I can display it on my Zeuses -- it's listed under "environmental data". And obviously on the DSM250.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Ah yes you are right.

I just checked the manual and it says:
If you do not have a DSM200 or other display unit capable of configuring installation offset in the WSO100, ensure that the pole mount is oriented as follows. The pole mount base has three small holes for mounting screws and one larger hole for the humidity sensor. Ensure that the small (mounting screw) hole which is nearest the larger (humidity sensor) hole is oriented such that it faces directly forward in the vessel. If you do have a DSM200 or other display unit capable of configuring installation offset in the WSO100, you may mount the sensor in any orientation and adjust for it by configuring the installation offset appropriately (please refer to the display user�s manual for details).

When I installed the unit the mast was on the ground and I had oriented the unit as per the manual. Then along came the rigger and bent our mast re-stepping. Then we went to insurance and got a new mast. Then the new rigger transferred all the hardware from the old mast to the new mast and we stepped.
I had looked to make sure that it was oriented correctly but was thinking it was the humidity sensor that should be facing forward. I see now that it is actually the screw adjacent to the humidity sensor that is supposed to be facing forward. That explains that! Thanks for jogging the memory.
Now I can either go up the mast or apply the offset... if I had a DSM MFD.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:50   #64

Quote:
he unit as per the manual. Then along came the rigger and bent our mast re-stepping. Then we went to insurance and got a new mast. Then the new rigger transferred all the hardware from the old mast to the new mast and we stepped.
Ouch.

Quote:
Now I can either go up the mast or apply the offset... if I had a DSM MFD.
Could you borrow a DSM mfd to make the adjustment?
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:05   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Ouch.
Ya that's not even half the story. When the new mast arrived from California, it was scratched all to hell from being shipped on the floor of the trailer. It looked like they dragged it in and then proceeded to load the rest of the cargo by straddling the mast with the fork lift. So it was still a paint job on a brand new mast before it was stepped.
Then there was the painters who painted the boat. Don't even want to go there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Could you borrow a DSM mfd to make the adjustment?
I don't know anyone with one.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:24   #66

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Ya that's not even half the story. When the new mast arrived from California, it was scratched all to hell from being shipped on the floor of the trailer. It looked like they dragged it in and then proceeded to load the rest of the cargo by straddling the mast with the fork lift. So it was still a paint job on a brand new mast before it was stepped.
Then there was the painters who painted the boat. Don't even want to go there.

I don't know anyone with one.
Sure you do. Bound to be someone on here who'd be glad to drink one of your beers while you use his DSM. You're welcome to use mine if you're up here or in the English Channel.

Sent from my D6633 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:36   #67

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Apparent wind speed
Apparent wind direction
Atmospheric pressure
Air temperature
Relative humidity
The WSO100 outputs all of these, but you need some type of display running appropriate software on the network to display them. Our chart plotter, Triton T41, several computer charting and weather programs and several iPad apps display these data.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:41   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
The WSO100 outputs all of these, but you need some type of display running appropriate software on the network to display them. Our chart plotter, Triton T41, several computer charting and weather programs and several iPad apps display these data.

Mark
Yes I know, the list was quoted from the wso100 Features tab on the promo.

Tags
gear