Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2008, 18:31   #1

12vdc HDTV

Where to find a 12volt HDTV? Or the most energy efficient HDTV 120v for inverted power.
solarboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2008, 20:07   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
LCD not Plasma for energy efficency. Smaller screens use less power. If you look at the 120 volt TV's you can read the watts consumed. Volts times Amps equals Watts. That will tell you DC amps required and the size of the inverter required.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2008, 21:47   #3

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
LCD not Plasma for energy efficency. Smaller screens use less power. If you look at the 120 volt TV's you can read the watts consumed. Volts times Amps equals Watts. That will tell you DC amps required and the size of the inverter required.
And don't forget to add the bite taken by the inverter.

On the horizon:

Microvision: Accessory Pico Projector Displays
Microvision: Embedded Pico Projector Displays

BTW,
I own a pile of this stock.

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2008, 22:46   #4

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
In another thread somewhere around here, some people were stating that some LCD's were powered by a little 120AC to 12VDC wall adapter. So maybe an inverter is not needed.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2008, 02:45   #5

Boat: Liberty 28 Custom Cutter - "Native Dancer" For Sale
Indeed. I checked out a cheap small screen at Best Buy and found a little transformer for the power. You just need to look at the power cord.
Liberty28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2008, 06:18   #6
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
15" AC/DC LCT TV on e-Bay. Item #300207978384 for just under $300
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2008, 06:58   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
some people were stating that some LCD's were powered by a little 120AC to 12VDC wall adapter. So maybe an inverter is not needed.
The small ones don't take a lot of power and so a wall adapter can work well. We run our 15 inch LCD off a 300 watt inverter and it only uses a fraction of that. I would not pay $300 for a TV that comes with a 12 volt adapter. A basic 300 watt inverter can be installed easily and then you have it for other small AC devices.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2008, 07:22   #8

Boat: Westerly Corsair 36, The Mons
We have a 19 inch 12v HDTV with DVD built in. It is manufactured by Magnavox. We got ours at Circuit City. It used an adapter to go from 120 to 12. So we spliced into the original plug to the tv so it can operate directly off of 12 v. It uses about 4.4 amps according to the Link 20.

The TV is somewhat sensitive to voltage fluctuations. Initially, even turning on the water pump would cause the screen to black out while you can still hear what's going on.

To address this problem, I purchased a voltage stabalizer from Ampor. This prevents the blackouts with the exception of starting the engine or the generator. When a blackout occurs, you just have to turn it off and then back on again.

Another option is the Skyworth TV/DVD sold by West Marine and Target. You can get the 19 inch model for a little over 400 off of the Target web site. I would have purchased one of these myself had they been available at the time. However, I don't know whether or not they are susceptible to the blackout issue.

If you get one of those, I would be curious as to how well they operate.
The Mons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2008, 09:43   #9

Boat: C&C Landfall 39 center cockpit "Anahita"
120V to 12 V adapters

The 120V to 12V converters accommodate a wide range of input voltage and frequency delivering a regulated 12V to the television. The television circuitry, therefore, may require a well regulated 12V (the actual value of which you do not know without measuring it) to operate properly. If the voltage goes too low the circuitry may "drop out" and require a turn-off and re-application of input voltage.

If the "12V" is too high, such as when charging batteries near 15V the input circuitry may overheat and be damaged. Because of this I agree with Paul in that it is safer and easier to merely use a low power inexpensive ubiquitously available power inverter to power the adapter and be done with it. No wire cutting or special "voltage stabilizers" are necessary.
Old 20-03-2008, 10:03   #10

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
And don't forget to add the bite taken by the inverter.

On the horizon:

Microvision: Accessory Pico Projector Displays
Microvision: Embedded Pico Projector Displays

BTW,
I own a pile of this stock.

Steve B.
I don't see it for sale.
What is the ticker symbol?
How is it doing?
Do you work with/for them.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2008, 16:07   #11

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
I don't see it for sale.
What is the ticker symbol?
How is it doing?
Do you work with/for them.
Nasdaq ticker MVIS
Let's just say, "You have to be patient, but it looks on the verge."
No.

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 16:07   #12

Boat: Westerly Corsair 36, The Mons
For archival purposes, I have put in the following post.

In my previous message on this thread, I reference the Skyworth 19 inch HDTV/DVD combo system. I have acquired two and returned two. They are also currently on back order from West Marine, Target, and Sam's Club. I would not be surprised if this was due to quality issues.

The first one had a damaged bezel around the screen. Apparently the TV was assembled improperly causing some component underneath the bezel to cause a bump. The unit had a fuzzy image that could not be corrected by any of the image settings.

The second unit also had a fuzzy image. In addition, the tv displayed images that were not centered vertically on the screen. There is no adjustment to move the image horizontally or vertically on the screen.

A design flaw of both units is also that it forgets any settings changes that you make when you turn off the tv.

What is good about the unit is that the 12volt system is very stable with our voltage stabilizer. We can start the engine or generator without the unit malfunctioning. Of course, if you cannot tolerate the poor image quality, this is of little value.

I would not recommend this unit for use at this time.
The Mons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 16:45   #13

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Thanks for the update.

HD should not be known for "fuzzy" images IMO.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2009, 15:46   #14
cruiser

Hey all,
12 volt hd tv's are the way to go. Picked one up a while back and it's still up and running. anytime I need something 12 volt I first check the source of my television; 12Volt-Travel

Something I didn't do, something I didn't know at the time. an extended warranty. Not that I've had any problems but looking into it now, I spent about $300 on a TV and for another $50 it would be fixed or replace for free for 2 years. Almost seems foolish not to take the deal.

Whatever you do, good luck and make sure to give them a shot they really know their stuff.

Joe D.
JoeDiamold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2009, 16:59   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mons View Post
For archival purposes, I have put in the following post.

In my previous message on this thread, I reference the Skyworth 19 inch HDTV/DVD combo system. I have acquired two and returned two. They are also currently on back order from West Marine, Target, and Sam's Club. I would not be surprised if this was due to quality issues.

The first one had a damaged bezel around the screen. Apparently the TV was assembled improperly causing some component underneath the bezel to cause a bump. The unit had a fuzzy image that could not be corrected by any of the image settings.

The second unit also had a fuzzy image. In addition, the tv displayed images that were not centered vertically on the screen. There is no adjustment to move the image horizontally or vertically on the screen.

A design flaw of both units is also that it forgets any settings changes that you make when you turn off the tv.

What is good about the unit is that the 12volt system is very stable with our voltage stabilizer. We can start the engine or generator without the unit malfunctioning. Of course, if you cannot tolerate the poor image quality, this is of little value.

I would not recommend this unit for use at this time.
I also bought and returned a skyworth due to no picture from an antenna purchased a naxa 15.5'', from bundle city, great picture and built in dvd uses less then 3 amps
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote