Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2012, 03:25   #226

Boat: 45' Custom Ted Brewer
Send a message via Skype™ to Ahquabi
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehows View Post
if you're not a wannabe what are ya? a don'twannabe? i been a wannabe all my life, aint given up yet. (back from a month of sailing, man its good out there...)
Wannabee - derogatory. A person who tries to be like someone else or to fit in with a particular group of people
Ahquabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 03:35   #227
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

I have been sailing, on and off, for 50 years, and to be honest, would not take too much umbrage at being called a wannabe. Glad that i still have dreams and grandiose ideas.

Coops.
Old 28-09-2012, 04:23   #228

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
I have been sailing, on and off, for 50 years, and to be honest, would not take too much umbrage at being called a wannabe. Glad that i still have dreams and grandiose ideas.

Coops.
Good point! As long as you have dreams you wannabe something you're not yet.
Old 28-09-2012, 06:34   #229

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post

Coops.
You come under a has been or still is, Your long past being a wannabe,

If your dreams are different to what you are now, Your still a wannabe,
I hope your future dreams eventuate,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 06:42   #230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahquabi View Post
Wannabee - derogatory. A person who tries to be like someone else or to fit in with a particular group of people
A wannabe, is something you have a dream for, and have not put it into practice yet,

It has nothing to do with being like some one or some group.

Before I have built some thing or done some thing I wanted to do, i was a Wannabe,

Now I have built it and done it, I am now a has been,

But it is certainly better than a never was,

A never was, is Derogotory, Especially when you say you did, and havent,

Cheers,
Brian,
Old 28-09-2012, 06:54   #231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnoxx99 View Post
I just bought a cat 27 1973 and by god i will be one that sticks with it. I was lucky enough to run into a guy that knows his **** and showed me the mast was going down if i even thought about raising it, so i will be fixing it the next few weeks. gotta fix the 9.9 that came with it also. going to learn and then try for Palmyra. yeah i know bad choice but what the hell... best case i get there, worse case i disappear in the middle of the ocean. My friends back in Bama get to talk about crazy Bob who got out of that hole and live in Hawaii for ten years, bought a sailboat and sailed off into the Pacific and was never heard from again, gaining me a sort of immortality and my nephew gets laid for life talking about his "eccentric" uncle! So if there is any advice out here I will be asking to make sure my nephew does not get laid as I enjoy life. Thank you and have a nice weekend!

BOB
I fit that bill exactly, Crazy old coot that just got off my arse and did it,
That many people told me it just couldnt be done, Naysayers Galore, Including on here,

Pissed them all off that I fronted up when I was supposed to be missing at sea,
Well I knew where I was, In the middle of the Coral Sea, Not my problem if they cant follow my progress,

You stopped your Nephew from getting laid, I stopped a few from having a good story to tell,

Haahahahahahaha, You and I are now, Has Beens, Its a bit deflating for the Ego, But I can live with that, Hahahahahaha
Old 28-09-2012, 07:07   #232
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i wannabe thru the canal--i has been down much of mexico and in gulf of mexico...lol.. and hudson river and catalina and some caribean........even now, one of my buckets is fading to pail.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 07:28   #233
WIT

Boat: None .. . yet!
Hello from a confirmed wanna-be!

I'm "only" a day sailor that has gone through US sailing programs up through Bare Boat Charter. For the past 20 years I've had to content myself with renting boats from various clubs in SF and SD area, and only getting out with friends about once every two months (unfortunately my wife hates sailing!). The nice thing is that I've gotten to try out a lot of different boats and equipment, so I haven't developed any model-specific biases (other than to say I generally like newer, well maintained boats . . And being out on anything beats not being out at all!). Two weeks ago I took out a 2012 Beneteau 37 from Club Nautique . . .absolutely loved it!

I have dreams of going through the canal, sailing across the Pacific, and beyond. But for now I have to live vicariously through the stories on this forum . . . So keep the, coming! And, for now, I'll keep wanna-being.
WIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 09:00   #234

Boat: Cape Cod Shipbuilders Bullseye

Am I a Wannabee? I have been in boats since I was a week old. I grew up around boats, and started sailing when I was ten. I have owned several sail boats in my life. I have no doubts about my sailing abilities, except for using a sexton, but I am sure I will pick that skill up pretty fast when I start doing it daily. When I was 22, I decided that one day, I would sail around the world. Now at age 58, I realize that it is time to do it. Ten years ago, I had a boat and was working to get all the details worked to leave and set sail, however I got waylaid because my parents got ill and I thought it best that I stay and help them. My Father now only has a few months left and my Mother is in long term care. I am now willing to let someone else be responsible for my Mother. Now, I am working hard to sell my properties and looking for a suitable boat to sail around the world. Does this make me a wannabee? I am a wannabee when it comes to sailing around the world. I am not a wannabee when it comes to sailing or doing coastal cruising.

In my boat search, I am not sure whether to get a boat which is small enough to easily single hand sail without having a lot of complicated equipment, or do I go with a boat which is big enough to enjoy living on forever, or at least until I am ready for a nursing home. A 38 footer vs. a 52 footer. Boats seem to be getting cheaper each year now, so my gut tells me to go with a 38' and wait for a even better deal later on a 52'. The last thing I want to do is have to sit in port waiting for repairs when I could be out sailing. My history has always been to go sailing instead of staying in port and work on the teak bright work above deck and watch the boats heading out for a picture perfect day of sailing. The one system on board which I really would like to have is a good freezer. I place that higher than having an engine. But how does one have a dependable freezer without an engine? The electronics are nice, but now with the handhelds and solar panels, there is less need for an engine to keep the batteries charged so as to keep the electronics running. On a 38' boat, engine and fuel is over half a ton, the weight of a year's supply of food. To me, the rig and sails along with the hull are the most important things. A/C is really only needed when dock side, and if dock side, then it is cheap and easy to have a portable unit. I am rambling.
CCBullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 13:10   #235

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Gotta friend here who was ready to sail when his dad became terminally ill. The dad said go for it, so he did. Relatives said the highlights of his final months was receiving emails and messages of his son doin' it. Lived the dream through his son!
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 13:33   #236

I am one of those! I posted a few weeks ago about my plans for a McGreggor 26 by spring of next yr.
I've been doing alot of research on used no older than 2009, as new is about $30,000.00 conservatively. I did see a 2010 with very little engine use, ( i don't want to purchase with alot of miles on engine), I think it was about 20,000.00 but I just wasn't ready to purchase.
I just turned 59 and can begin to draw from my retirement next yr. if I so choose to purchase that way. I've also been reading 3 different books on navigation and handling of a sailboat, (my previous boat was a power boat). I want to be prepared as possible when I do this. Will also take a weekend sailing course at a certified school in Philadelphia.
One of the members here gave me very valuable information about navigaton maps that breakdown water ways based on area; ex, east coast etc.
Wow, that was lenghty! Let me know what you think or any other helpful tips!
I'll ck. some more of the forums later today.
cooltech Vince
cooltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 14:12   #237

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooltech View Post
I am one of those! I posted a few weeks ago about my plans for a McGreggor 26 by spring of next yr.
I've been doing alot of research on used no older than 2009, as new is about $30,000.00 conservatively. I did see a 2010 with very little engine use, ( i don't want to purchase with alot of miles on engine), I think it was about 20,000.00 but I just wasn't ready to purchase.
I just turned 59 and can begin to draw from my retirement next yr. if I so choose to purchase that way. I've also been reading 3 different books on navigation and handling of a sailboat, (my previous boat was a power boat). I want to be prepared as possible when I do this. Will also take a weekend sailing course at a certified school in Philadelphia.
One of the members here gave me very valuable information about navigaton maps that breakdown water ways based on area; ex, east coast etc.
cooltech Vince
Hi Vince, Good luck in your quest to become a cruiser.
Those little McGreggors are pretty solid in my estimation. (I'm no expert though) I first learned about sailing on an older McGreggor 25. I loved it.
-Bruce

Ballenxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 16:23   #238
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooltech View Post
cooltech Vince
you may be sold on the magreggor,but my advice is to look around the yards in your area,there are a lot of really good deals from what i have heard on the east coast,when buying your first boat,or any boat, logistics can be a stumbling block.

time spent traveling is time that you could otherwise spend on the water.
good luck with your plan,and be sure to tell us all about it once it comes together
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 19:16   #239

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCBullseye View Post
Am I a Wannabee? I have been in boats since I was a week old. I grew up around boats, and started sailing when I was ten. I have owned several sail boats in my life. I have no doubts about my sailing abilities, except for using a sexton, but I am sure I will pick that skill up pretty fast when I start doing it daily. When I was 22, I decided that one day, I would sail around the world. Now at age 58, I realize that it is time to do it. Ten years ago, I had a boat and was working to get all the details worked to leave and set sail, however I got waylaid because my parents got ill and I thought it best that I stay and help them. My Father now only has a few months left and my Mother is in long term care. I am now willing to let someone else be responsible for my Mother. Now, I am working hard to sell my properties and looking for a suitable boat to sail around the world. Does this make me a wannabee? I am a wannabee when it comes to sailing around the world. I am not a wannabee when it comes to sailing or doing coastal cruising.

In my boat search, I am not sure whether to get a boat which is small enough to easily single hand sail without having a lot of complicated equipment, or do I go with a boat which is big enough to enjoy living on forever, or at least until I am ready for a nursing home. A 38 footer vs. a 52 footer. Boats seem to be getting cheaper each year now, so my gut tells me to go with a 38' and wait for a even better deal later on a 52'. The last thing I want to do is have to sit in port waiting for repairs when I could be out sailing. My history has always been to go sailing instead of staying in port and work on the teak bright work above deck and watch the boats heading out for a picture perfect day of sailing. The one system on board which I really would like to have is a good freezer. I place that higher than having an engine. But how does one have a dependable freezer without an engine? The electronics are nice, but now with the handhelds and solar panels, there is less need for an engine to keep the batteries charged so as to keep the electronics running. On a 38' boat, engine and fuel is over half a ton, the weight of a year's supply of food. To me, the rig and sails along with the hull are the most important things. A/C is really only needed when dock side, and if dock side, then it is cheap and easy to have a portable unit. I am rambling.
Go with a gas fridge and freezer, You get about 3 weeks to a gas bottle, and solar for your power,
Old 28-09-2012, 20:31   #240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B

Go with a gas fridge and freezer, You get about 3 weeks to a gas bottle, and solar for your power,
I have never seen a gas fridge on a sailboat. Not the safest things in my opinion.
mutualfun is offline   Reply With Quote