Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 16:14   #91

Boat: Buying Jun 2012
Re: Tender Theft. What Would You Do?:

Haven't read all the posts but as a previous Commander and having sat on a couple of Courts Martial pressing the charges would have been the way to go.

The Military will generally step in, take back possession of their "broken property" and fix it. Not the case for more serious crimes but something like this the Civil courts are happy to give them over to the military. THEN they go through the UCMJ, get a reduction in rank, loss of pay, blot on their record and really learn a lesson. IF they don't, then they will eventually be discharged and out of the service.

The military is generally accustomed to this sort of sophomoric behavior from their younger troops. They don't throw out the baby with the bath water. IF this was a one-time bad deal and the behavior does not re-occur then after a few performance reports it is quickly forgotten. Military justice can be quite severe and quite lenient depending on the circumstances. Like it or not it generally works.
Old 07-05-2012, 16:18   #92

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F15EWSO View Post
. Military justice can be quite severe and quite lenient depending on the circumstances. Like it or not it generally works.
Yep.

Too bad some of our courts and civilian country clu........err, prisons don't operate that way.
Old 07-05-2012, 16:21   #93

Boat: PETERSON 44
Here in tallahakoosey harbor. I put my truck keys on the floor board before heading out the ice is bought gentlemen's honor, no dinghy is locked. I carry a chain and lock for the times I'm there and feal like I need to. Annapolis harbor ego alley no dinks are locked. I dint think it's unusual to leave things in trust. Baltimore harbor I chain and lock. Last time in Baltimore I saw 2 kids pick up some rocks and throw them full on into waiting traffic. I caught them and held them but the driver left. I don't think they were used to someone getting in their ****. Maybe they felt lucky that I didn't skin them and they had another chance. Guessing the odds are not so good. But I put in my ugly face and tried to scare them.
Really I'm glad these guys didn't waste our time pressing charges and I hope the culprits get real about there screw up.
Old 07-05-2012, 16:24   #94

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
I caught them and held them but the driver left. I don't think they were used to someone getting in their ****. Maybe they felt lucky that I didn't skin them and they had another chance. Guessing the odds are not so good. But I put in my ugly face and tried to scare them.

You are lucky their parents didn't catch you.

You could have ended up in big trouble. Just touching them.

Sad how things are now.
Old 07-05-2012, 16:33   #95

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Perhaps many here would like to see this kind of "justice" in the US.

ECUADOR: Harsh Indigenous Justice Sparks Debate - IPS ipsnews.net
Old 07-05-2012, 16:38   #96

Boat: PETERSON 44
Yeah that crossed my mind. Probably restrained me too. I'm thinking I just assaulted 2 youths no witness except my wife and kids. I had good intentions. The head line could have been good Samaritan catches man threatening youth beats him to a pulp. What amazed me was the number if people that should have seen what happened and did not or did not care.
In the american art museum / portrait gallery there is a video piece with s women she saws the front legs off her chair in a very public space Bd proceeds to adjust herself... She wears a sort of flipper through a subway station ..... The amazing thing is everyone passes her like it's ordinary. I wish the best for those kids hope they never do that again.
Old 07-05-2012, 17:13   #97
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g

Skeptical Hippo wins. I just called the Two Harbor Department and they know nothing about it in the office. It's a small town and even smaller group work for Harbor Department so they think it's just a story going around. Unless someone was a witness & knows something else- this isn't true.
I don't know if River Dave is our OP but the story is duplicated verbatum on this website. http://www.riverdavesplace.com/forum....php?p=1042582

Lot of work to propogate an urban legend.

Cool that you called Two Harbors...
Old 07-05-2012, 18:53   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty.gregory

Okay, fine. What are we going to argue about now that SailorG ruined our fun? Somebody think of something quick!
So funny! Since when do we end an argument just because of the truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif
Lot of work to propogate an urban legend.

Cool that you called Two Harbors...
Lots of people have too much time on their hands. I didn't want my Two Harbors maligned.
It's a great place with wonderful people and a salvation for us who live in LA!
Old 07-05-2012, 18:58   #99
Formerly: Capt Wraun

Boat: Corbin39 CC Cutter Rig

Wow, I find it mind boggling that someone would fabricate a story and post it on multiple sites in order to spread the lie. What goes on in such a person's mind anyway? I mean it's not like in real life when you can start a rumour and watch the victims fight. At least there's some entertainment there but what gratification is there here for the op?
I don't get it.
Old 07-05-2012, 19:11   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Wraun
Wow, I find it mind boggling that someone would fabricate a story and post it on multiple sites in order to spread the lie. What goes on in such a person's mind anyway? I mean it's not like in real life when you can start a rumour and watch the victims fight. At least there's some entertainment there but what gratification is there here for the op?
I don't get it.
I don't get it either. Maybe he did something to get kicked out and wanted to cause them trouble. It's really quite hard to get in trouble there (Buccaneer Days is so crazy it makes the Latitude & Attitude party there look like an afternoon tea!) I have no clue about what his motive for these accusations. Pretty sad to have to make stuff up to have fun.
Old 07-05-2012, 19:29   #101
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

some folks are so insecure they troll forum sites to get attention--i think isnt the good kind of attention, but they seem to want any kind and seem to love stirring things up. there is a forum i wont mention that has folks do that--and all are friends of admin--LOL..very cliquish and no good info there.
Old 07-05-2012, 19:31   #102

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

I saw somebody get kicked out of Two Harbors. It took them 2 failed drunk anchoring attempts, 3 failed drunk attempts at grabbing a mooring ball, and then backing through a bunch of moorings AND a group of kids on kayaks with nobody at the helm, culminating with their rudder up against the rocks. I heard both sides of the story and saw some of it happen.
Old 07-05-2012, 19:43   #103
Formerly: Capt Wraun

Boat: Corbin39 CC Cutter Rig

Well whatever the motivation, an attempt at revenge or something else, it is purely pathetic.
I feel sorry for people like that. Poor sod.
Old 07-05-2012, 20:13   #104

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
That would also explain why the U.S. has the most people in jail/100,000 population. Higher then countries like China, Russia and Eritrea. And that horrible freedom robbing country just south of the U.S., Cuba.

Rankings & Results « Vision of Humanity
Old 07-05-2012, 20:22   #105
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Thread closed.

Closed Thread

Tags
tender